Dusy Irshim Trail - August 18-22

Courtright Reservoir is suppose to be stocked with trouts. Limit is 5 per day; total 10 in possession. Be happy to just catch a few. Not sure if any limits @ any of these lakes along the Dusy called Thompson, East, Ershim, Dinkey, Mallard and Lakecamp Lakes. If you know, post up; I will call the Ranger station and ask.

Sierra National Forest: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/recreation/activities/fishing.shtml#courtright

Last Sunday, my son and I went fishing. Up early and long day, the fish god finally rewarded us with one good eating size stripe bass on San Pablo Bay; lil concern about mercury level - was going to catch and release. But according to experts as long as we only eat once a day should be ok if any concern and I really want to practise cleaning and cooking one (just in case we catch e.g. trout on any of lakes along the Dusy trail).

Pic 1 Catch of the day (well only catch of the day) over the wknd on San Pablo Bay - one is good enough for me and my son! We used a 10 ft rod and 15-20 lb line. Bait = shrimp

Pic 2 After de-scaling it, cutting the belly open, pulling the fish guts out and washing it clean with water, ready to be stuffed up.

Pic 3 Showing & Tell to my son. Brush the skin with olive oil, and stuff it with our favorites: parsley and lemon.

Pic 4 Wrap it in foil; ready to be tossed on the grill.

Pic 5 Put it on gas grill (I am bringing to the Dusy) - indirect hea. For med size fish, 20 mins wrap in foil, and 20 mins w/o the foil for smokey. Ready to be served.

Pic 6 20 mins wrapped in foil

Pic 7 Another 20 mins w/most of the foil removed for the smokey taste (we're sharing this the kids so we want to make sure it's really cooked otherwise if it was just me/wife, I would probably do 15/15 mins).

Pic 8 Fish served with bread, chilli, and Sangria (by way avail @ Mexxis for a lil plug - lol). Lil Fresh lemon squezed on the fish. Delicious!

Ok Nathan, Will, and Lutzi - hope we catch some trout in one of the lakes on the Dusy Trail otherwise I will have plenty of left over lemon and parsley for stuffing; put it this way, if we don't - will have lots of lemon to make lemonade! Lol.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would like to ask ea attendee to send me the following (PM me).

1) Cell phone #

2) Emergency Contact (who do you want us to call in case something happens to you)

3) ETA on the Dusy Trail 1st night campground on Wednesday

4) I will be using the SPOT Sat device for this tirp; I am planning to send an "ok" message ea day we successfully and safely setup camp; let me know if you want me to include anyone/family members you may want to receive the "we're ok" message from the SPOT.

Also looking for a volunteer club member (or members) who would be willing to monitor our progress (SPOT tracking) and be willing to receive "Help" message via SPOT.

We would not expect you to drive down to the Dusy to help. Basically to alert you of a serious vehicle breakdown program and of course only a situation where the breakdown can't be fixed on the trail. We would try to reach you or others once access to a pay phone (Shaver Lake) or cell reception avail to give you more details of the problem and what we may need help e.g. looking up info on the web or coordinating contacts.

SOS message goes to the Emergency Response Center

I have AAA auto club membership and have 100 mile towing service (towing only from service-able road - meaing will need help towing my RRC off the trail and near service road e.g. Hwy 168 or Courtright Reservior area).

If any of the attendees need to use, glad to offer my card service. Used it trice on the trail - once to get a fellow LR towed back home on the Oregon trip a few years ago, and I thnk it was Chuck in Hollister.

Hope we don't have to use Help, SOS or towing!

http://www.csaa.com/vgnfiles/CSAA.com/Shared/Images/membership/compare/080309_TopCards_673x194.jpg

PM sent

My truck has passed inspection with Frank Cerrone

- Radiator cleaned, fluids changed and thermostat replaced

- both engine mounts found completely separated and were replaced, spare mount on hand as back up

- crack found at three link, welded and reinforced

Saturday I plan on shaking out all my recovery gear, tools and camping stuff for assembly and packing on Sunday

I also need to replace my CB unit..... also update and program my tough book navigation computer

I have AAA Plus membership

WTG Will. Great job by Frank cathing those fixes especially cracked links. Shrek is ready. AAA Plus Membership awesome. Nathan is coming up with a meet-up plan @ Shaver Lake 168/Dinkey Creek Rd time and get back to the group. Suppose once last stop @ civilization before the next 3-4 days on the Dusy.

Good you got your RRC back. Just on time for this weekend. Will you be driving it to Sacramento on Saturday? I will be driving mine too.

I hope i don't have to go through all that on my RRC yet. lol

Thanks Antonio - glad to get it back also this week or before this Saturday; gives me a chance to run a trail/shake down. And Yes, I will be driving it to Sacramento this Sat.

Just have to keep on eye on these leaks; lil drip over time I think is ok but when you have to add a quart everytime its driven and see a puddle of oil under like on mine prior to the seal job - I think it's time.

Ok, final count after going thru a larger group of 10 to 6 and now the final 4.

1) Nathan - RRC

2) Me - RRC

3) Lutz - DII

4) Will - Shrek DI

Will has a winch; I have one. I forget Nathan and Lutz - does your truck have a winch?

Recovery gear(s) check:

- Tree strap, shackles, snatch block

- Who is bringing hi-lift jack and base? I have one. Probaby just need 2.

- I have a hi-lift mate (lift from the alloy or steel wheel)

- Have a set of full spare (Will runs the same 255/85/16)

- I can bring my ARB tire repair kit, spare valve stems, and bead buster like this in the pic

http://www.extremeoutback.com/images/product/beadbuster.gif

- I have a regular air compressor; anyone with CO2 setup?

- Ea bring their own strap; I will bring an extra 30 ft

- Recovery gear gloves

- Am I forgetting something else?

Tools check/accessories for doing trail repair:

- I am bringing the my usual socket sets, driveshaft removal tool, etc...

- Bottle jacks

- Breaker bar

- Plastic tarp

- Spill kit

- Battery jumper

- Do we need any special tool?

Food/water:

- BYO for 4 days & your own cooking gear

- I am bringing a portable gas grill

- Planning to bring my fridge

Others:

- Ham (well, I will have a ham sandwich for sure - lol); have the equipment but no license yet so CB; will bring an extra handheld for Nathan.

- GPS

- SPOT messenger

- Headlight & flashlight

- Camera and plenty of battery/extra battery

- First aid kit

- Mosquito spray & sunblock

- Bear spray

- Initial firewood/axe to cut-up gathered wood

- Wag Bags

- Knife

- Lantern

- Trasharoo

- Garbage bag (liner in the Trasharoo)

- Spare vehicle key (you laugh, but seen someone lost their keys walking on the trail)

- Cell # and emergency contact list

- Meet up time/location determined for Wed

- GPS coords/maps printed (Ron will provide)

- Anything else?

Spare Parts check:

- Colin is offering to lend his spare 3rd (will coordinate picking it up this Saturday)

- I am picking up a spare rear driveshaft for my SWB RRC; will also bring spare front driveshaft

- Power steering hoses, u-joints and other I mentioned on this post:

http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?1017-Dusy-Irshim-Trail-August-18-22&p=12349#post12349

- Picking up a spare B&W Transfer Case. What tools do I need to replace this on the trail?

- Anyone need any parts from Parts Planet this Saturday?

- Anyone bringing 24 spline rear half shafts?

I believe we all have winches

as far as recovery gear, I have that covered

- high lift and base, X jack, 30' strap, 10' tree strap, 4 D shackles, 2 snatch blocks, 30' synthetic winch line extension, gloves

Tools

- 3/8" air ratchet, 1/2" impact with on board air and spare Nitrogen bottle, with all assorted tools used previously on Shrek

Spare parts

- brake switch, serp belt........ We could use a spare 3rd from Collin however is it set up with 4.11 R/P ??

Camping Gear

- Tent cot, sleeping bag, tarps, bungee cords, rope, propane grill, propane stove, propane bottles, folding table, chairs, cooking stuff, ARB fridge, Ron's lantern, my Northstar lantern, backup battery lantern, flash lights, batteries, wag bags and toilet, trasharoo bag, water dispenser, 10 gallons of water, bug spray, bug out bag

Personal stuff

- classified

Excellent will.

Personal stuff - classified?

Classic. Lol. Does that include cigars and bottle of something after we succesully conquer Thompson Hilll and settled @ camp. Good one!

I believe we all have winches

as far as recovery gear, I have that covered

- high lift and base, X jack, 30' strap, 10' tree strap, 4 D shackles, 2 snatch blocks, 30' synthetic winch line extension, gloves

Tools

- 3/8" air ratchet, 1/2" impact with on board air and spare Nitrogen bottle, with all assorted tools used previously on Shrek

Spare parts

- brake switch, serp belt........ We could use a spare 3rd from Collin however is it set up with 4.11 R/P ??

Camping Gear

- Tent cot, sleeping bag, tarps, bungee cords, rope, propane grill, propane stove, propane bottles, folding table, chairs, cooking stuff, ARB fridge, Ron's lantern, my Northstar lantern, backup battery lantern, flash lights, batteries, wag bags and toilet, trasharoo bag, water dispenser, 10 gallons of water, bug spray, bug out bag

Personal stuff

- classified

You guys are a riot and am looking forward to spending time on the trip with ya'll

I have a winch and so does Lutz

I am not going to bring my Hi-Lift if Will has his.

bringing 24 spline spare front halfshafts and CV's but no rear Halfshafts

Have a spare D2 front driveshaft that I bring

plenty of tie rod ends and motor mts

I am sleeping in my truck and Arthur is in a tent

It will be cold @ night so bring fleece jackets and thermal knickers

Ron don't bring the spare BW box as it is way too heavy and you need as much clearance as you can get......

Every fluid needed on our trucks I have

Ron if you have the 9/16 driveshaft nut extension bring it! also the ARB tire kit

Lot's of recovery gear

ARB fridge ( shall I bring ICE Cream)

We were planning on eating mostlyMRI's in the evening they are light & easy .... Will are you bringing your kitchen and if so I will bring Sausages etc

Is Greg coming?

I have a C/O2 tank for my tyres and seeing as we will only air down once should have plenty

Looking good. I also will have a full set of tools and a xjack .I have a full set of axles for my d2 >need to know about the 3rd in case i need to bring a stock ring a pinion for me.I just got done pulling my rear seats out shes ready to go.

Nathan what time do you want to leave at.I was thinking you house before noon.

I am going to give ron my spare third this weekend What Flanges do you guys need? The 3rd has stock d2 ratios. I have both the front d2 flange and the roto flex type. I can include both if you need?

Thanks Colin; let me check with Will, Nathan and Lutz and get back to you by tomorrow.

I am going to give ron my spare third this weekend What Flanges do you guys need? The 3rd has stock d2 ratios. I have both the front d2 flange and the roto flex type. I can include both if you need?

stock ratios won;t help me, thanks anyways

You guys are a riot and am looking forward to spending time on the trip with ya'll

Ron don't bring the spare BW box as it is way too heavy and you need as much clearance as you can get......

Ron if you have the 9/16 driveshaft nut extension bring it! also the ARB tire kit

Lot's of recovery gear

We were planning on eating mostlyMRI's in the evening they are light & easy .... Will are you bringing your kitchen and if so I will bring Sausages etc

Is Greg coming?

I have a C/O2 tank for my tyres and seeing as we will only air down once should have plenty

Greg is a no go..... Yes on the kitchen..... gas grill or medium weber ?

Looks like cooking for 5... I'll start thinking up a meal plan..... We'll use the MREs as fire wood :)

Will whatever works best for you on the grills as I know the end product will be brill either way;) I think there's 6 of us.

I/we have a sinus cold from Gryphon ( we think) Corinne's sicking up right now as I type but designated today to put my diff back in ( had ARB issues) re-seal it all then re-position the rock sliders as they were literally in my door bottoms and do some minor rear body grinding oh! and change all the fluids.... I have to say I have never felt weaker after today but will be rearing to go for next week.

Ok guys I called the Park Ranger's office for the Sierra National Forest (where we will be spending 4 days) and ask about camping fire permits and fishing license.

Camp Fire Permit

Camp fire permit is required for making camp fire and use of gas grills: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/passes/campfire/index.shtml

No a problem; it's free, completed the form and now we have a permit on hand.

You guys probably know this already, but wanted to share what the ranger pointed out (agreed on by asking for a camp fire permit are):

- Keep all flamable materials e.g. dry grass 5 feet from the fire source

- Always have a shovel handy to extinguish fire (by shoveling dirt) and followed by "drown with water" and "stir till the fire is out". Do this 1/2 hr before breaking camp!

- Feel the ash to be sure the fire is out

- And fire must attended by a responsible person

Fishing Permit

It is required if you fish inland or in the Ocean for 16 years or older, and avail online: https://www.calicensetofish.com/

I wouldn't buy the annual since 2010 is almost over. Will probably be too busy Day 1 Thursday and Day 2 on the trail. Once we get the hang of the trail, will be more at ease the 3rd and 4th day. With this said, I am going try and to some fishing once we are settled in camp on Day 3 and 4. So a 2 day-permit is what I am going to purchase for $20. Get one if you are planning to go fishing.

I/we have a sinus cold from Gryphon (we think) Corinne's sicking up right now as I type but designated today to put my diff back in (had ARB issues) re-seal it all then re-position the rock sliders as they were literally in my door bottoms and do some minor rear body grinding oh! and change all the fluids.... I have to say I have never felt weaker after today but will be rearing to go for next week.

Hope you feel better, and get caught up with what you need to do to get the beast ready!

Thanks for everyone PM-ing me your cell/emergency contact info. Get some rest for next week (espeically you Nathan - Mr Trail Leader) - meet you all @ Gas Station near Shaver Lake/Dinkey Road at 4pm. Will caravan together via Dinkey... to the trail head/campsite.

Also Ranger pointed-out we need to be bear aware; Black Bears - noise scares them away but important to store food accordingly: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/recreation/wilderness/safefood.shtml

I will bring a can of bear spray, and as far as noise, the Karaoke machine is too big bring along (j/k) so we just to yell or bang/hit shovels, pots & pans.

Understand bears can recognize shapes of coolers, and even read "Coleman", "Igloo", and heard expanded their vocabulary to read "ARB" (even easier to learn) and "Edgestars" - lol. So bring an extra blanket and cover it.

Yes, we don't need a camping pass or permit to camp; just a fire permit which I already have acq. We're good.

Just need to get a fishing lic if anyone is planning to go fishing.

Excited; can't wait!

Ron

Hi Everyone,

I don't think we need a camping pass as we never had one last year?

Wanted to point out that once you get over the dam and eventually get to a parking lot that is the end of the trail you may find it difficult to find the Trail entrance as it is very narrow and poorly sign posted but it is literally to the left of the parking area... the Voyager campground is less than a mile once on the trail to your left and we plan on parking @ the back near the shore... oh! the toilet is nice but once you open the door expect to be bombarded by a million black flies... I used an old tree stump myself:D

We should be there before nightfall so look for Lutz and myself

Night 2 is @ the top of Thompson Hill but not on it!

Mallard Lake is cool and if we can may stay there the last night

Can't wait

Roger!

Lot's of recovery gear

Is Greg coming?

If anyone needs to borrow an ARB MT45 or fuel/water jerry cans, give me a ring tonight and I can bring them to the BBQ tomorrow in Sacto. 209.622.5757 I also have a shower pump that you put into a bucket (just needs batteries), privy shelter to use during shower, and a Mr. Buddy heater. Anyone from the club is welcome to borrow these items. All I ask is you take the initiative to bring them back to me.

Archived