Dusy Irshim Trail - August 18-22

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope.... Lutzi I guess we should all head out there together on Wednesday and perhaps you could meet me @ my house?

Nathan

works for me.Im up for any time

Hoping it won't be too busy (put my foot in it now and every Toyota forum is looking @ this as they did when Chuck went to Death Valley) so campsites will be available.. I guess we will do approximately 6 hours of driving per day so just need to work out where we want to sleep and fish and swim and drink.

On another note there was a really nice NAS D110 @ Land Rover Santa Barbara today it had some serious dough into it including SG 3 link and King Resy Shocks.

Pedram and his Toyota friends are coming during that weekend too! No, i am just kidding! You guys have fun!

Funny,

Bet you Pedram's blue light pole can catch fish!

Our trucks are not ready for that trail yet. i need to install some body armor first. I will definitely have my RRC ready for next Rubicon run.

Pedrams 4runner needs a new heart transplant again.:-) He blew up his engine again. He just had it replaced like two months ago and he blew it up trying to keep up with the RRC while heading back from Pismo. :-)

Anyway, you guys have fun and hopefully everyone makes it out with out major damage.

Tell Pedram stop messing around and we know he wants a Land Rover V8 engine in his Toyota. Or better yet, he wants a RRC. Tell him we said hello and good luck finding another engine.

Have a great wknd Antonio - hope to see you on next year's Rubicon Trip.

Our trucks are not ready for that trail yet. i need to install some body armor first. I will definitely have my RRC ready for next Rubicon run.

Pedrams' 4runner needs a new heart transplant again.:-) He blew up his engine again. He just had it replaced like two months ago and he blew it up trying to keep up with the RRC while heading back from Pismo. :-)

Anyway, you guys have fun and hopefully everyone makes it out with out major damage.

Will keep food arrangement simply making it BYO (sorry no Rubacon Breakfast or Enrique's steak fajitas lile on the Rubicon Trail). I am planning to bring my small propane grill; if anyone wants to use it; just bring an extra propane canister.

Also to be safe, probably be best to fill-out camping permit. I will make sure to get one on the way.

I checked and there are not fire restriction.

Also thanks Nathan for bringing firewood; I think if ea one of us bring a box, we should be covered or if you are tight in space, plan on gathering wood as we go thru the trail.

Also planning to bring my light weight fishing tackle gear - hope to catch and be grilling trout one of the days.

Don't forget to bring sunblock, swim shorts if you don't mind the cold water, and bug spray.

Camping 1st Night and where we meet: Voyager Rock Campground.

From Fresno:

- Take Highway 168 toward Shaver Lake.

- Turn right on Dinkey Creek Rd. (next to the Shell Station)(get gas now if you need to fill up the tank and also bring spare fuel can)(you can also get last min stuff e.g. food, ice.... in Shaver Lake).

- Once you reach Dinkey Creek (about 10 mi) turn right on McKinley Grove Rd.

- Follow this for another 13 miles and turn left on Courtright Rd.

- Follow the road 8 miles, turn left to Courtright Reservoir.

- Cross the dam on the east side of the lake and stay on the road to the Dusy‑Ershim OHV Route sign, and look for Voyager Camp Ground sign.

- Camping at Voyager Camp Group.

?Nathan is this a good place to meet the group Wed, and camp 1st night. My guide book tells me it's on the start of the Dusy trail. Let us know.

?Thur Day 2 Target Camp to hit before night fall

?Fri Day 3 Target Camp to hit before night fall

?Sat Day 4 Target Camp to hit before night fall

?Sun headback home.

My 1990 RRCC checked out and looks good for the most part except

For insurance, noticed a leak developed from the rear main seal this year; it has 135k miles and see evidence of wet oil, probably has been there, but notice more oil is leaking. Decided to get the rear mail seal replaced.

Also there is a slight leak from the power steerting high-pressure line; I don't know if it was replaced by the previous owner; since I have the brand new spare parts (lines including return, and new reservior), decided to have all replaced and keep the old for spare for this trip.

Otherwise engine, tranny, TC, engine and TC mounts, cooling system (all hoses and coolant changed last year), suspension, tires, rest of steering component, fuel pump (replaced last year; bringing spare just in case) etc.. checked out.

I will get my RRC back next week. Planning to hit Hollister next Saturday for shake-down/dry-run after all the fixes.

Also bringing spare engine belts (all 4 for my RRC)

As mentioned spare fuel pump

My front driveshaft (DS) is HD Tom Woods but rear is stock (bringing stock rear DS

I have no passenger so I will be brining a spare BW TC (lol)

Spare full size tire

.... I have other lil spares rotor/cap, and extra parts e.g. relays here and there.

Courtright Reservoir is suppose to be stocked with trouts. Limit is 5 per day; total 10 in possession. Be happy to just catch a few. Not sure if any limits @ any of these lakes along the Dusy called Thompson, East, Ershim, Dinkey, Mallard and Lakecamp Lakes. If you know, post up; I will call the Ranger station and ask.

Sierra National Forest: http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/recreation/activities/fishing.shtml#courtright

Hi Everyone,

I don't think we need a camping pass as we never had one last year?

Wanted to point out that once you get over the dam and eventually get to a parking lot that is the end of the trail you may find it difficult to find the Trail entrance as it is very narrow and poorly sign posted but it is literally to the left of the parking area... the Voyager campground is less than a mile once on the trail to your left and we plan on parking @ the back near the shore... oh! the toilet is nice but once you open the door expect to be bombarded by a million black flies... I used an old tree stump myself:D

We should be there before nightfall so look for Lutz and myself

Night 2 is @ the top of Thompson Hill but not on it!

Mallard Lake is cool and if we can may stay there the last night

Can't wait

Thanks for the update Nathan!

If they ar bitting flies, no thanks! Be sure to bring supplies of wag bags guys!

Ron

Hi Everyone,

I don't think we need a camping pass as we never had one last year?

Wanted to point out that once you get over the dam and eventually get to a parking lot that is the end of the trail you may find it difficult to find the Trail entrance as it is very narrow and poorly sign posted but it is literally to the left of the parking area... the Voyager campground is less than a mile once on the trail to your left and we plan on parking @ the back near the shore... oh! the toilet is nice but once you open the door expect to be bombarded by a million black flies... I used an old tree stump myself:D

We should be there before nightfall so look for Lutz and myself

Night 2 is @ the top of Thompson Hill but not on it!

Mallard Lake is cool and if we can may stay there the last night

Can't wait

I ordered the 10 pack kit (comes to 2.69 ea + tax/shipping for the packs vs indy order ea comes to $3.75 + tax/shipping).

"Survived the Dusy Trail" stickers should be here for our trip.

Figured the 6 trucks will need ea. And if you need extra, I will have 4 (total of 10) if you want to put another sticker on your truck. Wear it proudly guys (of course after surviving it lol).

With the tax/shipping, comes to $3.50 ea sticker: http://www.trailsticker.com/cgi-bin/cpshop.pl?i=ts.trailsticker-459235905+survived-the-dusy-irshim-trail-california.html

http://images5.cpcache.com/product/459235905v2_240x240_Front.jpg

Did you guys need a spare 3rd or any other parts, if so this morg would be a good time to get it?

Spare third would be most useful Colin; I am planning to be in Hollister this Sat if I get my RRC back from the shop; running the obstable course and trails in-prep of the Dusy trail. Wanted to flex out the suspension among others. Are you planning to be @ the MORG; and what time?

It all depends. I wont have my Rover so if I do come out to the Morg it would be in my BMW and then I would ride around with someone. However there is another thing that might keep me from going. I might be picking up a 95 d1 in Truckee. If that Rover works out then I would be driving up to Truckee and towing it back home. As I recall you don't live too far from me. I would also be able to drop it off. Possibly even that Saturday. Let me know

It all depends. I wont have my Rover so if I do come out to the Morg it would be in my BMW and then I would ride around with someone. However there is another thing that might keep me from going. I might be picking up a 95 d1 in Truckee. If that Rover works out then I would be driving up to Truckee and towing it back home. As I recall you don't live too far from me. I would also be able to drop it off. Possibly even that Saturday. Let me know

Ok, if not this Sat, always Parts Planet BBQ or meet/greet in Martinez. C yah and good luck w/the new D1.

Ok, Rod @ Besa has the engine out of the RRC and rear main seal sure was shot; bearing cap removed (1st picture) - now for complete rear main seal job.

Also upon closer inspection, found a small problem waiting to get worst on the radiator (2nd photo). Prepared for this time so last bought a re-conditioned/rodded radiator. While the engine is out, might as well replace the radiator.

Also new power steering hoses will be installed; I had purchased these parts as spare (new) last year ready to be instealled; original high pressure hose has a small leak; might as well replace while at it - don't want to take any chance on the 30 mile rock crawling Dusy Irshim.

All in all will have rear main seal done, radiator replaced and power steering hoses/reservoir. Can't wait to get it back for dry run on Hollister this Sat.

My 1990 RRCC checked out and looks good for the most part except

For insurance, noticed a leak developed from the rear main seal this year; it has 135k miles and see evidence of wet oil, probably has been there, but notice more oil is leaking. Decided to get the rear mail seal replaced.

Also there is a slight leak from the power steerting high-pressure line; I don't know if it was replaced by the previous owner; since I have the brand new spare parts (lines including return, and new reservior), decided to have all replaced and keep the old for spare for this trip.

Otherwise engine, tranny, TC, engine and TC mounts, cooling system (all hoses and coolant changed last year), suspension, tires, rest of steering component, fuel pump (replaced last year; bringing spare just in case) etc.. checked out.

I will get my RRC back next week. Planning to hit Hollister next Saturday for shake-down/dry run after all fixes.

Also bringing spare engine belts (all 4 for my RRC)

As mentioned spare fuel pump

My front driveshaft (DS) is HD Tom Woods but rear is stock (bringing stock rear DS

I have no passenger so I will be brining a spare BW TC (lol)

Spare full size tire

.... I have other lil spares rotor/cap, and extra parts e.g. relays here and there.

Hey thanks Ron for getting the stickers organized! I'll take 2:)

The Dusy is now officially open

Stickers are here; won't put them on till we finish the trail. Can you taste it? Wish of all safe and successfully complete the trail (no breakdowns or roll-overs). Can't wait.

My RRC is back: complete rear main seal job, power steering hoses replaced (old one kept for spare parts), and radiator replaced.

Now time to install the new GPS among others and get ready! Yippie!

My truck is up for the the challenge.

As mentioned, got the RRC back, here are some pictures of the work done to avoid potential problems with severe oil leak from the rear main, radiator failing, and power steering bursting.

1) Out with the engine for a complete rear main seal job

2) 3.9 upside down; oil pan off.

3) Got it the RRC back yesterday; wipe down as much of the old oil after the job. So far no leak.

4) Same area but diff angle

5) Floor is dry. The leak prior was bad; had to put about quart of oil every month and then this year got worst where I am putting a quart of oil every week. Rear main seal was leaking badly! Glad it's fixed.

6) Picture from under; clean oil plan and new seal

7) New power steering hoses; old ones kept as spares

8) Old (top) and new radiator (bottom); you can see (circled) the slow leak

9) Radiator installed top view

10) Radiator installed view from the inside/fan

Archived