Oregon Discovery 2010

Sounds good, Antonio. I've been updating the first post in this thread with the current attendees. Right now we have six trucks and 14 people. I understood Brenton is also riding with you. If so that makes 3 in your truck?

Here is a map for the rest area meeting point. The rest area is just north of Dunnigan and easy to spot. I have also included a waypoint for it in the .GPX file I'll be sending out today.

http://mt0.google.com/vt/lyrs=m@128&hl=en&src=api&x=330&y=783&z=11&s=Galil

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is a .gpx file containing all the waypoints and routes for the Oregon Discovery 2010 trip. It should be readable by most GPS software and (I think) by Google Earth. I also have a detailed set of paper maps and an overall topographic map in my Oregon DeLorme atlas which I'll be glad to share during the trip.

A bit about the route colors:

Routes from and to the Bay Area = blue

Main route of the trip = magenta

Optional routes = green

If you have any questions, please ask.

The first nights campsite is about 450 miles from the Bay Area (San Mateo). That's about nine hours or, picking an arrival time of about 5 PM at camp, that would mean leaving the Bay Area about 8 AM or the rest stop near Dunnigan on I-5 at about 10 AM. If we wanted to beat the traffic, we could leave earlier. Kevin suggested and I agree that the Dunnigan reststop would be a good place to meet, for a caravan, for almost anyone coming from the Bay Area.

There is really no obligation to caravan. If you want to leave a day early that's fine. As for camping spots, the only places we've camped are Lassen National Volcanic Park which is about 250 miles from the Bay Area or Lava Beds National Monument which is farther. Both are a bit off I-5 but have roads leading north so you wouldn't have to backtrack. Also I know Lassen doesn't fully open until July so if you go there check their website or call them. There are some other national forest camps and state park camps nearer to I-5 but we've never stayed at them.

The location of the first night camp is in the Detailed Plan I posted. Also I'll be sending out a .gpx file containing all the waypoints and routes for the trip in the next day or so.

Brian,

There's Woodson Bridge State Pk, 5mi E of Corning by Sacto River or Lake Red Bluff Rec Area just SE of Red Bluff for half way campsites.Also Castle Crags SP off I-5 south of Dunsmuir.

BTW still planning on solo AK trip.

Rupert

The first nights campsite is about 450 miles from the Bay Area (San Mateo). That's about nine hours or, picking an arrival time of about 5 PM at camp, that would mean leaving the Bay Area about 8 AM or the rest stop near Dunnigan on I-5 at about 10 AM. If we wanted to beat the traffic, we could leave earlier. Kevin suggested and I agree that the Dunnigan reststop would be a good place to meet, for a caravan, for almost anyone coming from the Bay Area.

We would like to be at Dunnigan by 10, but with kids you never know. We will have the ham radios so we can try to raise you as we approach Dunnigan. Are you keeping a list of cel numbers Brian? We could also call if running late.

We would like to be at Dunnigan by 10, but with kids you never know. We will have the ham radios so we can try to raise you as we approach Dunnigan. Are you keeping a list of cel numbers Brian? We could also call if running late.

That's good and I know how it is with kids. 2 meter ham radios are only good for a few miles without a repeater so cell phone would be best - at least along the interstate.My cell coverage dies as soon as I reach Oregon for some reason. I will put together a list of cell numbers or if everyone would post theirs to the thread that Dan started that would work.

In the past we've been able to gather/pick up wood on the trail. But it's always good to have some, particularly if it is dry. We don't need to bring enough for the whole trip, though.

I'm going to go to Home Depot and pick up a chain saw tomorrow. Yippie! Another new toy!! :D

Here is a .gpx file containing all the waypoints and routes for the Oregon Discovery 2010 trip. It should be readable by most GPS software and (I think) by Google Earth. I also have a detailed set of paper maps and an overall topographic map in my Oregon DeLorme atlas which I'll be glad to share during the trip.

A bit about the route colors:

Routes from and to the Bay Area = blue

Main route of the trip = magenta

Optional routes = green

If you have any questions, please ask.

Brian, when I load this into Google Earth, none of the colors come through, but I think I'm getting the trip. One point of confusion is that our starting point in Chemult seems to be named B001 and progresses through incremental numbers B002, B003, etc. When we get to Crack in the Ground, the waypoints change to CG and then DC (for Derek's Cave?). Then it goes through the A's in descending order A065 down to A001 where we end our trip.

I'm still new to interpreting GPS data, routes, waypoints, etc. Can you help me understand how to interpret the waypoint names. Also, there seem to be a number of waypoint with no attached route in the file.

THanks.

-Kevin

Yup, you've got it exactly. The "A" series waypoints were generated last year. Each of the waypoints maps to the trail books I have from the Oregon Off Highway Vehicle Association. When I planned this year's trip I started with "B" series waypoints for the first part of the trip. Sorry if it's confusing but it saved me a great deal of work using last year's trail waypoints. The waypoints with semi-English names are features, landmarks, campgrounds, etc. Some of the "A" series waypoints towards the north end won't be used this year.

I was disappointed with what Google Earth did with the file too.

Yup, you've got it exactly. The "A" series waypoints were generated last year. Each of the waypoints maps to the trail books I have from the Oregon Off Highway Vehicle Association. When I planned this year's trip I started with "B" series waypoints for the first part of the trip. Sorry if it's confusing but it saved me a great deal of work using last year's trail waypoints. The waypoints with semi-English names are features, landmarks, campgrounds, etc. Some of the "A" series waypoints towards the north end won't be used this year.

I was disappointed with what Google Earth did with the file too.

I don't think we will have APRS (I don't and I doubt that Kevin and Lucinda do.) and we have canceled our SPOT tracking since the club is having to pay for SPOT services now. Sorry.

Anyone have time to meet up with Will and see if you can borrow the one remaining club issued SPOT; if you guys decide to use the SPOT, you can use me as one of your emergency contact; I will be around the Bay Area, at home or work, during your trip.

Also you may have covered this; hope one of you guys have AAA membership. I have the Plus w/200 miles towing and came in handy two years ago; a fellow attendee broke the timing chain on his LR truck and the AAA membership helped absorb the cost of towing service.

Have fun folks!

Brian do you know if we will be caming near a lake or a creek where we may take a shower? I know the water maybe cold but it will be refreshing. :-)

I doubt if we will be close to showers on the trip. We will have a choice of camping at a lake on the second night. I was thinking that might be more pleasant than in the woods among the mosquitoes.

Anyone have time to meet up with Will and see if you can borrow the one remaining club issued SPOT; if you guys decide to use the SPOT, you can use me as one of your emergency contact; I will be around the Bay Area, at home or work, during your trip.

Also you may have covered this; hope one of you guys have AAA membership. I have the Plus w/200 miles towing and came in handy two years ago; a fellow attendee broke the timing chain on his LR truck and the AAA membership helped absorb the cost of towing service.

Have fun folks!

Ron, I didn't remember SPOT until Jim posted his question. We will have both VHF and HF ham radio and there are several repeaters in the area so comminication to the outside won't be a problem. Thanks for your offer. I'll have your phone number with me. :D

I have a hi-lift with the winching kit and Kevin I think has borrowed one. I also have a winch on the front of the DII and all the winching accessories.

I am also going to bring a limb lopper and a pruning saw in case we run into a pin striping situation we can do a little trimming. :D

Archived