Oregon Discovery 2010

Time to get the "official" trip thread started. I've completed the detailed planning and a .pdf copy of the plan is included in the link below. Here is a summary:

· Date/Time – June 18 - 23, 2010

· Brief Description - Oregon Discovery 2010 will use the Oregon Off-Highway Vehicle Association's Route 2 and Route 5 Section 1 (http://www.oohva.org/). We will be starting near Chemult on US 97 between Klamath Falls and Bend, OR. We will proceed generally southeast to the Summer Lake area where we will join Route 5 and head south to the California border. The first section of the trip will new territory for us and the second after Summer Lake will be a repeat of previous years. This trip is suitable for stock Land Rovers with front and rear recovery points and all terrain tires. This will be an expedition style trip and we will be moving camp each morning. We will be camping in primitive camp sites which will generally not have water or toilet facilities available. Friday June 18 and Wednesday June 23 will be travel days from and to the SF Bay Area. We will be on the trail for 4 days, Saturday through Tuesday.

From the gauging interest thread the following folks are planning to go:

Brian (HMBRover) DII, 2 people

Kevin and Lucinda KSuttle), 2XLR3, 5 people

Alan (Rippin'AV), LR3, 2 people

Antonio (Antonio), P-38 + Brenton (Disco2Guy) + Mark, 3 people

Mark (Drafdog), LR3, 2 people

Colin (ColinB), DII, 2 people

Looks like a great turnout! Please confirm on this thread that you are still planning to attend. Did I miss anyone?? It's not too late and we have room for a couple more trucks.

A few have expressed an interest in going to Crack in the Ground so we will modify the plan slightly and go there on Day 2 (Sunday). This will also give us an opportunity to gas up in Christmas Valley and take some of the pressure off of doing it later.

Please post any questions and comments to this thread.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking forward to this trip Brian! What kind of fuel provisions do we need? I have 2x Blitz cans and 2x NATO cans with mounts, plus a NATO water can. I'm planning to bring my recovery kit; snatch block, recovery strap, 10' synthetic tree saver and 3x D-shackles.

I'm looking at the best way to incorporate Crack In The Ground into Day 2 (Sunday). Any way we go, we will have a fueling opportunity at Christmas Valley and we will have another opportunity at Lakeview on Day 4 (Tuesday). Under those conditions, if each leg is less than about 100 miles, then I don't see a strong need to carry extra fuel, although I probably will carry one Jerry can of fuel and one of water. Regarding water, it depends on the number of people in your group and your water use habits. We tend to minimize the amount of water we carry by using wipes both for dishes and for personal hygiene.

As for recovery gear, the plan calls for a minimum of two shackles and a recovery strap per vehicle. I have lots of stuff and I'm sure others do too. Also among the group we should have: 1 chain saw and supplies, pull pal, vehicle mounted winch(es), and hi-lift jack and accessories. I have a hi-lift and winch kit for it as well as a vehicle mounted winch, tree strap, snatch block, etc. It would be good to have at least one more winch. Anyone??

In a week or so I will provide to anyone who wants it a complete file of waypoints and routes for the trip. Since I'm continually tweaking it I'd like to wait a bit before I send it out.

I have a camping trip planned with the family and taking the boat out in the water more this summer, won't be making this trip! Enjoy and have a blast - Oregon Trail is a great experience!

Confirming that the Suttle's will be coming but we will only be 5 people not 6 (2 adults, 3 kids).

We'll have some Jerry Cans, recovery straps, & shackles. We don't have winches yet. We are considering purchasing a hi-lift.

We will bring a PETT toilet system (compatible with Wag-Bags) and privacy enclosure.

Lucinda and I are newly Ham certified (KJ6IBK and KJ6IBL). Does everyone else going have Ham or do we have a mix.

Firewood.....we will find enough on the trail or should we pack some in?

I'll be there. Bringing my kid brother with me.

I have chains, straps, shackles and hi-lift...no winch yet. I can also try and gather some firewood and strap it to the top.... Should one of us bring a chain saw just in case?

Not ham certified but was planning to get a CB before the trip...

Confirming that the Suttle's will be coming but we will only be 5 people not 6 (2 adults, 3 kids).

We'll have some Jerry Cans, recovery straps, & shackles. We don't have winches yet. We are considering purchasing a hi-lift.

We will bring a PETT toilet system (compatible with Wag-Bags) and privacy enclosure.

Lucinda and I are newly Ham certified (KJ6IBK and KJ6IBL). Does everyone else going have Ham or do we have a mix.

Firewood.....we will find enough on the trail or should we pack some in?

Great, Kevin. I was going to ask about the PETT toilet system.

Congrats on the new ham tickets. I'll add you to the list of hams in that thread.

We should be able to pick up wood on the trail but I"m planning on bringing some dry, kindling type wood to get the fires started.

No worries on the hi-lift. I have one and that's all we should need.

I'll be there. Bringing my kid brother with me.

I have chains' date=' straps, shackles and hi-lift...no winch yet. I can also try and gather some firewood and strap it to the top.... Should one of us bring a chain saw just in case?

Not ham certified but was planning to get a CB before the trip...[/quote']

Great, Alan. Yes, it would be a good idea to have a chain saw in the group. Last year we had to move several trees off the trail around Slide Mountain. Probably the same this year.

Looks like we will be a mix of ham and CB which will not be a problem.

Yes, everyone should bring enough Wag Bags for their own use. As planned now we will camp at a location with at least an outhouse almost every night. And we will have opportunities to hit a gas station or other location with restrooms, but they are few and far between so best to be prepared. :D

Not going this year but I have 4 water jerry cans and 4 fuel jerry cans if anyone needs to borrow them. Located in Ripon. You pick up and bring back.

Steven, I'll PM you. May be interested in Jerry Cans and we live out your way.

-Kevin

I've re-planned Sunday, Day 2 to include Crack in the Ground geologic feature. We will leave the Route 2 trail near Saturday night camp and go through Silver Lake and Christmas Valley hopefully arriving at Crack in the Ground before noon. We should be able to spend an hour or more there exploring and taking pictures. We'll then retrace our route back through Christmas Valley and stop for fuel. From there we'll head for Winter Ridge and make a short picture stop at Fremont Point, then proceed south along Winter Ridge to Rock Creek Campground where we'll spend the night. Total distance will be over 100 miles but since much of the route is graded gravel or paved we should be OK.

Attached is a file of possible camping spots. There are several alternates for each night and we'll choose based on the day's progress. Since our trip is during the summer solstice, we will have good light well past 8 PM.

Thanks for planning the trip Brian.

Do you have a suggested pack list?

I am getting my stuff together and wanted to make sure I did not miss anything.

I don't have a packing list made especially for this trip but I do have a general camping checklist I use and will include it below.

Here's what to expect ---

We will be in forested mountainous country with altitudes between 4900 and 7600 feet elevation. My goal is to camp at as low an elevation as we can but the Cave Lake Campground (last night) is at 7000 ft.

Given the weather patterns this year, rain is likely. We were very lucky last year and had no rain. The year before, nothing but. It can be very windy along Winter Ridge and in some of the other more exposed areas. Temperatures may be in the low 40s at night to 70s during the day. If we are unlucky and a storm front is going through temperatures could drop into the 30s.

We will be primitive camping. Most of the camp sites I have pre-planned have at least a pit toilet and we'll be bringing a portable toilet along. You should plan to bring a few PETTs Wag Bags just in case. Most camp sites don't have water but we will have the chance to fill up every couple days. Some camp sites will have tables. We'll be moving camp every morning.

Meals: Breakfast and lunch on your own and we can discuss sharing dinner items/duties as the trip approaches. Breakfast we usually do easy cooking: oatmeal, breakfast breads, juice, fruit and COFFEE. Lunch is usually sandwiches, snacks, sodas, etc. My goal is to have 2-3 hours in camp before dark so dinner can be more relaxed and creative. We'll have a campfire every night and I will bring a fire pan for charcoal and a dutch oven for a couple deserts.

Driving: The trails are relatively easy, no real technical sections that I'm aware of. Unless, of course, we encounter downed trees or snow or really muddy areas. Our nominal goal is about 50 miles per day except for Day 2 going to Crack in the Ground. We'll have the chance to stop frequently and there are a few detours to interesting places that we'll take time permitting.

Ok, enough rambling ... Here's our lists:

Camping list

Tent an ground cloth - tent should be good for rain

Cooler or refrigerator

Sleeping bags, pads, and pillows

Chairs - one for each person

Folding table if you have one

rug - for in front of tent

dishes and cookware

stove and fuel

portable BBQ if you have one

charcoal & starter

dish pan

paper towels

Lysol wipes - for dishes

personal wipes - no showers available

water

tarp & a few short pieces of rope

bug spray - mosquitoes can be bad

Wag Bags

linens

flashlights & extra batteries

hatchet/axe

shovel

first aid kit

camera and extra batteries

things for kids to do

Off-road list:

maps

recovery gear

water

fluids - top up quantities

fuel

spares - I have a crate full of general stuff and a few DII specific spares

axe & shovel

air compressor - we'll have several

radios: CB primary, FRS OK, 2 meter ham if you have a license

Brian,

We are going to be out of town for the next few days attending a high school graduation (after 20+ years in 12th grade...I'm finally out...LOL). I'll keep an eye on the forum for any updates, etc.

I stopped by Mexxis for dinner last week and Enrique loaned me his Hi-Lift, a recovery strap, and 2 jerry cans. He does have a Pull Pal that he can loan us if you feel we'll need it.

Lucinda purchased a Dutch Oven but hasn't yet broken it out for use. Will yours make enough desert for the gang, or should we bring ours and pay you for some Dutch Oven lessons?

I don't think we will need the pull pal and it's a big thing to lug around. It's great you were able to get some other stuff from Enrique.

Lucinda is welcome to bring her dutch oven along if she wants to try it out. I will have charcoal and a fire pan so it would be easy to set up. I think our little oven will be enough to do some brownies, cobbler, etc for everyone. We'll make sure there are no nuts in the deserts.

As far as evening meals go, Nancy and I were thinking that we could bring a few things to share for evening meals. Probably not enough to feed the whole group. Things like a Chinese chicken salad or pulled pork wraps. Maybe if each group brought a couple things to share it would simplify the cooking. Nothing formal, strictly voluntary. Thoughts??

Just curious as to when people will be leaving the bay area to head up to Oregon? I was thinking about leaving on Thursday mid day and driving about half way and staying the night and drive the rest of the way on Friday. For the evening accomidations on Thursday I was thinking about camping so my next question is if anyone knows of any good camping places around the half way point.

The first nights campsite is about 450 miles from the Bay Area (San Mateo). That's about nine hours or, picking an arrival time of about 5 PM at camp, that would mean leaving the Bay Area about 8 AM or the rest stop near Dunnigan on I-5 at about 10 AM. If we wanted to beat the traffic, we could leave earlier. Kevin suggested and I agree that the Dunnigan reststop would be a good place to meet, for a caravan, for almost anyone coming from the Bay Area.

There is really no obligation to caravan. If you want to leave a day early that's fine. As for camping spots, the only places we've camped are Lassen National Volcanic Park which is about 250 miles from the Bay Area or Lava Beds National Monument which is farther. Both are a bit off I-5 but have roads leading north so you wouldn't have to backtrack. Also I know Lassen doesn't fully open until July so if you go there check their website or call them. There are some other national forest camps and state park camps nearer to I-5 but we've never stayed at them.

The location of the first night camp is in the Detailed Plan I posted. Also I'll be sending out a .gpx file containing all the waypoints and routes for the trip in the next day or so.

Hi there,

I will plan to be there by 10 AM at the rest area so we can caravan up to the camp ground. I will bring something to share for the evening meals. Do we know how many trucks are confirmed to come on this trip? I have my friend mark coming, he is a new NCLR member.

Archived