Gauging Interest: Pismo Beach May 2010 Return of the Flying Land Rovers

Jim, I was just looking on the CA Parks website and saw this in their rules section:

"Towing of any object other than another motor vehicle is prohibited."

The Oceano Dunes SVRA states... Each reservation is limited to one vehicle and one legally towed vehicle. "

I guess we'll see. What about those people with tent trailers?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Oceano Dunes SVRA states... Each reservation is limited to one vehicle and one legally towed vehicle. "

I see folks towing their camper on Pismo; Lutz can confirm; Jim call their district office later to confirm 805-773-7170; I just called, still early in the morning (7:30am) and got their VM. Call later.

Well...I still can't get anybody here to call it as far as my gig goes. It looks like they want to keep it a go right up to the last minute, so I won't know if it's canceled or not till Saturday so it looks like it's all moot anyway...oh well.

Just call reservation america Saturday and see what they can do to get your a reservation last min: 1-800-444-7275, or call the District Ranger Station 805-773-7170; hope you can make it. If not, there's always next year! C yah!

Haha,..... I could always flat tow shrek behind my LR3 across the entrance Kiosk........

Haha,..... I could always flat tow shrek behind my LR3 across the entrance Kiosk........

good idea .

"Towing of any object other than another motor vehicle is prohibited."

what there talking about is like towing kids on a knee-board or any object threw the dunes and beach.So don't bring you ski rope

Aww man, I was going to bring my metal UFO shaped sled with me. Thanks for the clarification Lutz.

When are people leaving the Bay Area? Looks like Will and Greg are leaving Aptos at 1pm, which means I'll leave SF around 11:15am, to meet them somewhere along 101.

I plan on leaving the Dublin area around 10am, one hummer following behind a little later in the evening to play in the sand with for the weekend :) So I should be in Pismo around 2pm or so to set up and claim camp site with Lutz. Really excited about this weekend. See you all there!!!!!

sounds good Luis.Dunes are nasty right now. i got high center on a razerback today. Will be good practice btw are u guys running the 37in tires or the old style.

Ok, I just finished with my client call in Monterey (3pm now) and now time to continue my drive to Pismo. Jonathan aka the Chef called me and he said Chilli Dinner @ his condo rental around 7pm. Pls pass this on to folks who signed up for Friday Chilli Dinner. Tomorrow same thing BBQ Pork Ribs served around 7pm.

If no traffic, I should be rolling in Pismo around 6pm tonight. C yah there!

Here's my SPOT tracking page: http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0pO47Kh2q6VrI7askuseR5eAbeWyCcEPj

wow, great food and company.... special thanks to Ron and Lutz... did I say incredible Chili and those Ribs were out of this world, very nice "The Chef"

Garcia ridge was too much for Chuck......

Let my son drive for the first time with me in the passenger seat........ made several look bad at the drags... :)

Wind was the only problem... just way too much... darn right miserable during the day, evening was passable around the camp fire....

Greg even brought home beer in his cooler for the first time.....

Only stuck one time in my LR3, broke cardinal rule #1, never stop unless your level or slightly down hill

Most importantly it was nice to see some old and new faces..... Times like this are very few.....

I still need to go through my photos and vids but here's my trip report.

I met Will and Greg literally as they were pulling out of the driveway Friday afternoon at 1pm. We filled up our gas tanks and made our way to Pismo, eventually meeting up with Colin and Paul. They were towing a pop-up trailer so we eventually pulled ahead of them, and I had made arrangements to meet Nathan for a firewood pickup. Once Greg and I had two huge bags of firewood secured to the roofs of Shrek and RovFlo we made it to the Ranger station. While stil airing down some random dude asked me to pull him out of the loose sand by the entrance. When I pulled out my recovery case I was quickly reminded that my gear was wet from the Shaver Lake trip by the smell of mold. My leather gloves had completely molded over and started creeping onto the recovery strap and synthetic tree saver. Even some of the finish on the ARB 9000 snatch block had been messed up by the mold. Gross!

Anyways, I yanked the guy's truck with no issue and met Colin/Paul, Antonio, and Lutz. Antonio had to tow Colin's pop-up since he still had 18's on his D2 and had some issues in the sand at first. We made it to camp and the wind was blowing like crazy! Upwards of 20 mph, which made it impossible for me to setup my tent, even with the help of 2 others. I missed a call from Jim, and we heard the Humvee was at the entrance. A bunch of us rolled to meet them and met Ron as well. Rosie, Jim's D1, started to overheat from all of the sand, family, and trailer that was being pulled. Once again Antonio's RRC was used to tow Jim's trailer and the Humvee towed Rosie to camp. Back at camp the wind finally started to die down so I assembled my new tent. Everyone sat around the campfire and had chili prepared by the Chef (Jonathan). Ron was handing out vodka and orange juice for any willing takers and wound up falling asleep in his chair, so did Greg.

The next morning (Saturday) I prepared 3 lbs. of Pismo-ked bacon, before the entire group headed to Garcia Ridge led by Lutz around 10am. It was a fun short trail with a couple of technical sections. Before the actual trail we made several small creek crossings along the graded dirt road. There wasn't anything terribly difficult, but Chuck broke his GBR double double cardon rear driveshaft. The last (optional) section was a tough steep climb, of which only Lutz, Elliott, the Humvee and Mark's bobtail RRC made. We had to turn around and make our way back down to the streets, and eventually back to camp for some lunch.

Back at camp the wind had really picked up again so I ran some guy wires to the fence to help support my big parachute of a tent stay upright until the winds calmed down in the early evening. We all went out to play on the dunes at different times, and Lutz had one of his Hummers for some fun rides. Colin got a set of 16" wheels and 265/75 tires from Lutz so he had to check out the new shoes. Unfortunately I was going for a ride in the Hummer and missed Colin's jump that basically ripped off his rear bumper, but I did see them getting out to look at it. We swung by for a sec, grabbed a pic and continued on. By the time everyone got back to camp, Ron was taking food orders for the BBQ ribs The Chef was going to prepare for us. They were great along with the baked beans (with bacon), and an ear of corn. Later in the evening Roverdude got to our camp and unloaded almost an entire truck worth of parts. There were seats, doors, and even a motor sitting on the sand by the time he was unloaded. Once again, Ron kept everyone nice and happy with his vodka and orange juice drinks.

Sunday morning was pretty quiet for the most part. Everyone was packing their gear and trading stories of the adventures they had over the weekend. I enjoyed following Colin and Paul out of the dunes, watching their pop-up trailer go flying in every direction (except towards me!). I did have the SES light turn on (P0000 & P0102) when I went to leave and will look into that issue Monday (later today I guess at this point). All in all it was a great trip, which I hope becomes an annual event again for both NCLRl and SCLRl Rover clubs.

Here are the pictures:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rovrflo2010/Pismo10#

Great weekend @ Pismo; yes, I agree; let's make this an annual event; I think if we use the same formula again, will be a fun, safe and enjoyable trip again and again. Well except for the wind/cold around this time but rather deal with the wind/cold vs crowed Pismo during holidays or summer anytime! It was nice - we almost had the dunes to ourselves late Saturday afternoon.

Here are my pictures and GPS locations if we want to come back especially Garcia Ridge. Thanks again to everyone for making it a fun wknd especially Lutzi for leading us; and Nathan also for showing us their backyard. Let's do it again next year with Lutzi/Nathan as leads. C yah: http://www.spotadventures.com/trip/view/?trip_id=200786

We took the good with the bad. We all agree that the company was first rate. the bbq ribs were outstanding and where would we shiver without a blazing fire? Here's a few photos my son Anthony took saturday.

On the way home Sunday, we stopped by Fremont LR for a photo opportunity.

I'm reviewing my video and editing it soon.

Don't be surprise if you get asked for permisison to post your photo on Land Rover World; one of our club members was asked to write a brief report re: Pismo Beach trip this wknd. Just want to give you guys a heads up!

Ron

Archived