Gauging Interest for a Black Rock Desert Trip late July or first week of August

Trip Designation: Expedition

Difficulty: Easy to Moderate depending on route selected

Background: Black Rock Desert is a vast open high elevation desert region of north west Nevada

Tentative Trip Timeline: Rendezvous in Reno on Thursday Evening/Friday Morning, Depart Reno Friday Morning to Gerlach via Pyramid Lake, then into the Playa and Camp at a remote location TBD, continue north thru the region past Soldier Meadows on Saturday and Camp in a remote location TBD, Sunday make the return trip back home either north west thru Lassen area or back south thru Reno.

Comments from other forums;

"Black Rock desert, including the 40 mile long dry lake playa, is great for solitude and quiet. But not during the Burning Man in Sept when 10's of thousands of freaks trying to outfreak other freaks descend on the place. I've always avoided that.

The Applegate and Lassen trails parallel each other through the blackrock where there are numerous springs at the edge of the playa...many of them hot and great for soaking the dust off. I've run into people out there who have compared the springs to those of Saline Valley.

Anyway, you can drive the playa in dry weather with your foot to the floor and your hands off the wheel for as long as you can stand it. Then, in contrast, you leave the playa at Double Hot Springs and follow the trail north through Hardin City, Soldier Meadows and High Rock Canyon. Tough going 4-wheel drive through the canyon. Highly recommended!"

Resources:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/surprise/highrock.html

http://www.blackrockdesert.org/friends/

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/wfo/blm_programs/planning/Black_Rock_Desert-High_Rock_Canyon_Emigrant_Trails_National_Conservation_Area/black_rock_desert-high.html

Personal History: I ventured into the playa and Black Rock area back in August of 2004. It was originally scheduled to be a trip with the old NCRC, my very first off-road trip in my then untested 96 D1. I ended up being the only participant to show up along with my bro-in-law co-pilot Greg. We only made it just to the Black Rock itself and the first hot spring before deciding against heading further into the unknown as the only vehicle. Hindsight, one would say a wise decision. I'm now ready to resume my quest and venture further into the black rock region possible through the high rock pass. I plan on posting up pictures of my 2004 trip over the next few months.

I think we'd be interested providing we're in town. We went through there last August with David Bregman, Enrique and Kevin (pre-Land Rover) and had a great time. Lots of wild horses. High Rock Canyon was pretty mild. A couple steep down hills and one water crossing. Very doable in a stock Land Rover. Here are a few pictures from that trip: http://www.pbase.com/brhunt/hrc_nevada09

• 3 weeks later...

Will,

As Brian mentioned, we did a trip last year and had a great time. I'll try to pull together some of my pictures.

Being new to this an all, I've never planned a trip but would be very interested in helping to plan this one. We took a nice route that followed a book Bregman found. It took us past many points of historical significance. Great family trip....I think we had 6 kids on the trip last year.

I still have all the waypoints loaded from our trek.

Unfortunately, the BLM has rounded up many of the wild horses, but we hope to see some again this year.

-Kevin

Kevin

Your help in planning and guidance will be greatly appreciated. I can see you taking both your LR3's on this trip :)

Side note: I already submitted a "Special Recreation Application and Permit" including insurance certificate to BLM Winnemucca Field Office..... up to 10 vehicles.... proposed dates covering middle of July thru 1st week of August.......awaiting response

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived