Hi everyone-

You may have seen a thread about getting approvals to do trail cleanup in South Cow Mountain OHV -- well November is right around the corner and folks voted to have the trail cleanup on the same weekend as MORG.

I'll post more details here in the next couple of weeks as they become available, including:

• what we'll be doing

• what we need to bring

• what will be provided

• where we will set up camp

• anything else you want to know!

Please RSVP in the calendar here.  See you there! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're 2 weeks out on this. Any new info on what we'll be doing?

I'll be there and can bring the following as needed-

Chainsaw X2

Machete

Pruners

Sawzall with pruning blades

Hand saw

What other stuff do we anticipate needing? I'm guessing most of the work will be opening up overgrown trails based on my last visit there but have we heard any specifics? If a lot of the work will be cutting back smaller stuff if even consider bringing a hedge and mall generator to run it.

Yes, it's been relatively quiet for the November MORG.  As a reminder (thanks Don) the MORG will be out at South Cow Mountain OHV Recreation Area, up near Ukiah.

Sarah Mathews with Bureau of Land Management has requested the following work during our time out at SCM:

• Structure painting

• Brush clearing

Things to bring

BLM will be bringing some supplies/equipment for us to use but I plan on bringing some of my own stuff because it's probably better than what they have.  Depending on what you plan on helping with, you may want to bring the following:

For painting:

• smock / painting clothes

• Cheap brushes

• Cleanup materials (brush cleaner, paper towels, solvents, etc.)

• masking tape

• Paint rollers

• Paint pole

• Ladder

• Water (for hydration)

For brush clearing:

• Clippers/trimmers

• Loppers (for cutting thicker brush)

• Batteries (for electric cutters)

• Fuel (for gas-powered trimmers / chainsaws)

• Funnel (for gas-powered trimmers)

• Good shoes

• Water (for hydration)

• Large trash bags (for picking up bottles/trash/junk)

Timeline

We'd like to have everyone up and about at Saturday 9:00AM, Westside staging area.  Sarah mentioned that structure painting is the highest need, so I've committed myself to that cause but there will be trail clearing as well for those who don't want to paint.

Camping

Camping is likely going to be at Red Mountain campground, unless we end up being a pretty small camp group; then we can use Buckhorn.

Please don't forget to RSVP or respond in this thread if you plan on attending, so I can let the BLM know how many folks will be out.

Given that RedRover has on-screen experience as a trash collecting film star, should we try to get her (him?) a new role in Trail Clean-up:  West Coast Edition

Or in other words, do we want to try for some press on this?   We probably should see exactly what/who will be there, but a little publicity might not be the worst thing.

Tom?  Thoughts?

Tri-Tip? Where do I vote for that?!!

Speaking of which...I suppose I could do an after party here and burn some Tri-tip on my new grill.

Dan,

Do you have a good butcher nearby?  I suggest you order a cow quite soon .... and work out what we all have to chip in ...

Graeme

Given that RedRover has on-screen experience as a trash collecting film star, should we try to get her (him?) a new role in Trail Clean-up:  West Coast Edition

Or in other words, do we want to try for some press on this?   We probably should see exactly what/who will be there, but a little publicity might not be the worst thing.

Tom?  Thoughts?

Haha -- It took me a little bit to remember what you're referring to.  Maybe there's a North bay TV station that wants to videotape paint drying...  :)

For the publicity stuff, just let me know if I can be of help.

I'll bring hand tools for brush cutting. I also have a chain saw I'll bring, but no fuel or oil for it (banned in my condo). I'll bring painting stuff too.

John M.

KM4 JDQ

Cool - thanks John.  Any chance you'll be camping Friday or Saturday night?

Who's planning to camp and when?  I could head up Friday night and camp both Friday and Saturday but need to check with Michele (apparently she has now left Alaska and is in Vegas.....she has all the fun) when she returns home this weekend.

Haha -- It took me a little bit to remember what you're referring to. Maybe there's a North bay TV station that wants to videotape paint drying... :)

For the publicity stuff, just let me know if I can be of help.

Absolutely! Was hoping to have Dan involved so it would a "local guy does good" story but let's put it out there. Can we get a quote from the blm/cow mtn folks? Any other stats, trivia, items that make us look good. Someone please make a point to get some photos too please.

Absolutely! Was hoping to have Dan involved so it would a "local guy does good" story but let's put it out there. Can we get a quote from the blm/cow mtn folks? Any other stats, trivia, items that make us look good. Someone please make a point to get some photos too please.

What?  You're not going to be there in person?

I'm so disappointed.  Was it the lack of beef on Dan's part that did it?

BTW, it looks like Michele and I will be coming up Friday.  The exact time will depend on when her flight arrives that day.  Currently she's supposed to get into Sacramento around 2, so home by 3-3:30, on the road by 5 (?)  That puts there well after dark but it's not like I don't know how to put up a tent in the dark.  And I'm sure you guys will have a campfire going by then so we can find you.

Of course, that flight has a bad on-time record so who really knows.

So far it looks like Michele and I and Brenton camping Friday.  Anybody else coming up?

I've never camped here, so I'm open to suggestions on the best spot.  Brenton has suggested Red Mountain - does that sound like a winner to everybody else (anybody else?)

We should also plan a rendezvous point for those coming in Saturday morning as well as where we'll meet the park officials to get the day started.

I also noticed there is a chance of rain up there Mon-Tue-Wed - knowing how they close if it gets too muddy we might want to keep an eye on this. 

All,

Red Mountain can get very loud, depending upon the crowd there.  Saturday night is normally worse than Friday.

When Lucas and I camped there after the last event (yes, when everyone else bailed on us and we were the only ones ...) it was very noisy and we decided to camp opposite the main camp, but still had rock-crawlers trying to twist-out on some of the boulder near us.  Listening to an endless stream of F-words at high volume, coming from the fire area, doesn't bother me, but it could upset some ....

Graeme

All,

Red Mountain can get very loud, depending upon the crowd there.  Saturday night is normally worse than Friday.

When Lucas and I camped there after the last event (yes, when everyone else bailed on us and we were the only ones ...) it was very noisy and we decided to camp opposite the main camp, but still had rock-crawlers trying to twist-out on some of the boulder near us.  Listening to an endless stream of F-words at high volume, coming from the fire area, doesn't bother me, but it could upset some ....

Graeme

Ya, not interested in ANY of that.

Buckhorn is also available down in SCM... I think there are two other sites but they are in the North portion of the park.  Lastly, BLM shows a detached campground at Sheldon Creek.  Never been there.

Buckhorn sounds promising. Only 4 sites (I'm sure we could double up as needed) and no RV or trailer access so that should limit buggies or ATVs.

My only worry would be with us getting in late it could be full. We'd better establish a fall back option in advance since radio contact may be limited.

Archived