What's the Plan for this year's Oregon Trip?

Yeah! I'm wondering too!

I'm technically Rover impotent right now, I sold the XD. But given another month or two I may have a lift and tires on the DII.

I'm wondering if you guys might want to get out to the Alvord this year. It's a ways out there, but everyone says it's worth it.

I haven't talked to David since Hollister in October. Maybe we can corner him at the BOD meeting and get something started. Late June or early July?? I think he was thinking of a repeat of last year's route since we were diverted off it so much with trees and snow.

That would be fun, there is plenty more to see along those same tracks.

However, at least here in Portland, we had more snow this year than in the last 40-60 years! I think we got 2nd or 3rd highest amounts ever. It has been significantly colder this year on average -- usually we get 3 or 4 inches of snow, or one good dump of about 6-8 inches, and that's it. This year we got something like 20 inches, and it was spread out from early winter to just three weeks ago.

I'm not sure you would be any better off this year, than you had it last year up on that ridge.

I'm really up for anything, and I'll do what I can to make my schedule work.

Thanks Ben for the insight on e.g. weather/snow conditions in Portland. Always great to hear from you - a local contact.

With this said, wondering if July would be better (less snow); or do it in June like last year but be prepared e.g. bring snow chains, chain saw, pull pal...

Great to hear Will!

As a side note, I am looking for a new GPS for trail use to use in Oregon and other trips.

Last two year's Oregon trip, I used my Magellan Crossover - while fine for auto navigation on the road or to get to the trail head - it's not that great on the trail due to lack avail to upload US Topo Maps (via SD Card).

Funny, Norway Topo Maps are avail (how that happen - Magellan is a US Company based in Santa Clara, CA :D).

Anyways, I am looking at the new "DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 GPS Bundle" @ REI. Need feedback, experience or other GPS suggestions.

I like the portability so I can take it from vehicle to vehicle, mode of transport to another e.g. bike, boat, LR...

Suppose to have a speedy processor, bundle includes US Topo Maps, 1 GB SD Card - with options to load additional maps, small screen yet colored, and many more: http://www.rei.com/product/777824

DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 GPS

http://media.rei.com/media/ff/02b65225-d019-46a9-9cd4-0da19b8c167a.jpg

Qucik access to Compass, coordinates, and speed

http://media.rei.com/media/oo/b790e1e4-202a-462b-a54b-184c2602d62e.jpg

Barometer and Altimeter are good extras to have

http://media.rei.com/media/yy/e7b4f77c-2ca8-48aa-aec4-9fe57cf4f603.jpg

Hybrid map

http://media.rei.com/media/vv/f670973c-a756-4d90-8943-165bfa77d780.jpg

Avail Aerial/Sat photos

http://media.rei.com/media/ww/7012393e-1f9d-4220-b4d8-7f9778a71035.jpg

Driving directions (although I am going to use my other GPS designed for Auto for street navigation)

http://media.rei.com/media/uu/c712af62-bf65-4f1d-b7e2-4aca32ac2f74.jpg

Pre-loaded Points of Interest (POI) or create your own (up to 1000 Waypoints can be saved)

http://media.rei.com/media/tt/817922b1-593b-4536-85a0-63cdfcf7bfa1.jpg

And it helps with financial incentives: 1) I can use my REI dividend about $100, 2) 20% off REI One tme use, and 3) $50 rebate from Delorme.

Retails for $399 - $80 (20% off) - dividend $100 - $219 plus tax. Then $50 rebate.

Setting aside the discounts, is this a good unit? How's the battery life? Durability? Easy to interface with your PC? Appreciate any feedback, comments or experience with this unit. Thanks in advance.

Ron, that looks like a killer deal, especially with all your pent up discounts. :D I like the move it around, take it hiking, biking, etc. The precise reasons I went with the GPS-V.

My only issue would be screen size. My (old) eyes need bigger text and bigger display area to see the topo features. One problem I've found with my GPS-V small, monochrome screen is that by the time you zoom in close enough to see the detail you lose context on the overall map. Particularly when it's mounted on the dash. It's like looking at a paper topo map through a soda straw.

Also what is the resolution of the topo maps? Garmin's are equivalent of 1:100K which is usually adequate for in-car use. 1:24K quadrangle map resolution would be better for on-foot or biking and would come in handy for off-roading as well. I'm only familiar with DeLorme's printed map atlas products.

Ok David, Brian... are you guys game for another Oregon trip; can we start the planning so I can take the days off.

Cheers!

I am definitely planing on going on this trip again. Later June or early July would work for me. Maybe later if too much snow is on the ground.

Must say this was the best trip I have been on so far.

Ron,

On the GPS, I bought the model before and returned after one trip. It does not have the screen size we need for vehicle use even with younger eyes.

I eventually sold my crossover like yours after getting a Garmin 378. I have street and topo capabilities along with never to be used marine capabilities. Highly recommend it. It is not cheap but check out websites for deals. I think I got a good deal from Tigergps.

Good luck on the gadget hunt...:D

Garmin 378

X2. I've been lusting after one from that series for a long time. The 378 offers lots of features including XM weather interface. The 276C is similar physically but way fewer features for about half the price. Street navigation is extra cost for the 276.

I'm really up for this again this year. My only concerns are that June looks to be a pretty busy month, (see Trip Schedule below) what with this trip, the Blue lakes trip and Enrique's Lassen trip, and the fact that I have a commitment that I simply can't (and won't!) get out of on Father's day weekend (the No. Cal. Pirate Festival).

With the possibility of snow still to be found in the high country, I'd think that the later in the month we plan this for, the better.

NCLR 2009 Trip Schedule (Tentative)

Date Location Terrain Leader

March Mojave Desert Expedition TBD

April 10th - 13th Death Valley Expedition Expedition Chuck Mobraten

April 4th Hollister Hills / NCLR Meeting & Elections Easy-Moderate NCLR

April Surf-n-Turf Easy-Moderate Lutzi Haas

May 1st - 3rd Cow Mountain Easy-Moderate Dan Harris

June Oregon Trail Expedition David Bregman

June 27th Blue Lakes Moderate Gary young

June Lassen Trail Expedition Enrique Gomez

July RR-9 Easy-Extreme SCLR

July 28th - Aug 2nd National Rally Easy-Extreme Sollihul Society

July Return to Shaver Lake Easy-Moderate Ron Boston

August Black Rock Desert Expedition Will Selden

August 28th - 30th Gold Lake Moderate Chuck Mobraten

September Rubicon Trail Extreme NCLR

September North meets South (Pismo) Dunes NCLR

October 2nd - 4th NCLR Annual Event Easy-Difficult NCLR

October Ellis Peak, Tahoe Moderate Ron Boston

• 2 weeks later...

David has told me that his work and travel commitments will not allow him to lead this trip. I've volunteered to take the lead in getting the trip organized and will be submitting a trip request soon.

I'd like to get a feel for which dates work the best. I think it's desirable to get the trip in before the July 4 weekend to possibly avoid crowds and fire restrictions that happen later in the year. I'm assuming the trip will be similar to 2008 in that we'll do Discovery Route 5 beginning at Glass Mountain Friday evening (Friday would be a travel day for us coming from SF Bay area) and ending Wednesday morning south of the California border (Wednesday would be a travel home day). We would be on the trail Saturday through Tuesday.

Here are two options:

1) Friday June 19 - Wednesday June 24

2) Friday June 26 - Wednesday July 1

I'll be out of touch for a week or so but hope to get the dates firmed up as soon as possible after that.

More details to follow ...

Well, let's see... Option 1 is Father's day weekend and I have the aforementioned previous commitment. Option 2 conflicts with the Blue Lakes trip so I would have to choose...wanted to do both. Decisions, decisions...

The Blue lakes trip is not official yet and it's date can be changed.

Well, let's see... Option 1 is Father's day weekend and I have the aforementioned previous commitment. Option 2 conflicts with the Blue Lakes trip so I would have to choose...wanted to do both. Decisions, decisions...

I have had and continue to have great hopes for making this trip. More than anything, it would be the folks on the trip that would make it pleasurable.

Will speak with my wife and see whether it's something that could work. Ideally, we all go, but I don't think my kids would necessarily up for repetitive long hours on the trail.

For what it's worth, the second weekend would probably be better; however, I, too, entertain ideas of doing Blue Lakes again.

If all goes according to plan, I may have a new form of transportation for the trip.:D

Gary has graciously offered to move the Blue Lakes trip date to allow us to use the second weekend without conflict. I'll be submitting the trip request and start a new thread reflecting June 26 - July 1 for the Oregon 2009 trip. Thanks all for your replies.

Archived