Quarter Midget Racing

NCLR035

Hey Everyone,

Long time no talk. I never did post a lot but I have been completely absent for the past 6 months. It started with a new job and now my 6 year old son is racing quarter midgets. Pretty much every weekend we are somewhere racing. It's very cool and I'm amazed that 5-6 year olds are going 30+ mph around an oval track. Unfortunately it isn't leaving me much free time to take the Rover off-road. Our home track is in Livermore and on July 12th the track is having a promotion day where kids from 5-16 can come out and do 10 laps for $10. We tune the cars down so they are not going that fast but the kids will still have fun going around the track. It's definitely not the cheapest sport to get into but it's such a blast and very family oriented. If anybody would like to come by the track to watch a race or come to promotion day, you are more than welcome. Feel free to email me or check out the website, http://www.tvqma.org. Hopefully I'll be able to see some of you on the trail this summer. I'll try and at least get one good trip in.

Not sure if we've met or not, Dan. If we have, I apologize for forgetting.

It's really interesting that you post this info about 1/4-midget racing because i was just reading about a family in my home town who does the same - older kids. I've been talking to my wife about getting my oldest son (4 1/2) into racing of some sort. He's pretty cautious, but REALLY into cars (and rovers) and THINKS he wants to drive race cars. Thought about going with a basic go-kart and seeing how he likes it before pursuing anything more.

Any advice or suggestions you have in this regard would be most appreciated.

Email: m dot griffiths at sbcglobal dot net

phone: 408-781-5413

Thanks.

Griff, take a day and come out to the track! We live like 2 miles from it, I ride my bike past it now and then. And then he can drive one. I also think we should sponsor an adult day at the track (there is an indoor gokart place in Livermore I want to try) too!

Griff, take a day and come out to the track! We live like 2 miles from it, I ride my bike past it now and then. And then he can drive one. I also think we should sponsor an adult day at the track (there is an indoor gokart place in Livermore I want to try) too!

yeah, that wouldn't be a bad idea to see if he even likes it. i think he'd be scared, actually. you know, "eyes bigger than his stomach" type of thing...

your sponsorship idea is a good one, too.

Mike,

It is a lot of fun. The next race is on the 28th in Livermore. Come on by and say hi. Griff, I shot you an email with more information. Give me a call if you want some more information.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Good to see you posting!

Haven't heard from you since last year's Shaver Lake trip!

David.

Hi David. How's it going? I know I have been missing in action lately. Colin had a race In San Jose and we were talking to people from Fresno. We talked about wheelin and Shaver Lake. That was a real fun trip. I'm hoping to go again this year. Anyway, hope all is well.

Dan

Great to see you surface Dan. It was neat to see you at the Livermore track a few weeks ago. As soon as I saw your rig, I HAD to find out who the owner was!! We finished in 8th (boo-hoo) but a Slurpee fixed that in no time!!:D Mark, if you're interested in checking it out, we race in SJ all the time. I could let you know when our next race is. BTW - not a cheap sport to get into!!! :eek:

Great to see you surface Dan. It was neat to see you at the Livermore track a few weeks ago. As soon as I saw your rig, I HAD to find out who the owner was!! We finished in 8th (boo-hoo) but a Slurpee fixed that in no time!!:D Mark, if you're interested in checking it out, we race in SJ all the time. I could let you know when our next race is. BTW - not a cheap sport to get into!!! :eek:

It was good to see you. We missed you last weekend at the Monza. Hopefully we'll see you guys this Saturday. I agree, it's not cheap. Every time I'm at the track we end up needing something else but it sure is a kick watch your kick race. Only 12 more years and daddy can retire when Colin's in Nascar!:D

"12 more years..." I'm pretty sure Richard Petty still gets hit up for some dough from the boys every now and then!!! We're trying to balance our schedules a little bit more lately. Racing can consume every free minute through a year if you let it. We're trying to limit the schedule to 1-2 races a month. Need time to hike, golf, camp, wheel, explore....seems to work for now! :D

Geez, Dave, I didn't know you and your son were doing the racing, too. Small world. However, you know how I feel about spending too much time around you, so that might nix QMR as a hobby for my son.

The only reason we chose racing was because you and your son signed up for the River Dance League!!!! It was the only way to keep from seeing you any more than I have to!:) It's my GF's son who's into the racing. I'm pretty much a newbie to the circuit. Wish I tried one of those when I was young. Lots of dedication to complete a full season of this sport. I'm a little overwhelmed when it comes to balancing all that time. Big Dave NEEDS to camp and wheel too!!! Enough chit chat - let's go on a trail run Mark!!!

Archived