Missing a zerk on front drive shaft

Hello-

I lubed my front drive shaft last night for the first time and saw the zerk on the slip shaft is missing. I don't know if it unscrewed itself or (possibly) got knocked off by the cat. Should I just grab some zerks from Kragen and use a little locktite on the fitting (taking care to not plug the hole of course!!)? What the best way to remove the dirt and lube from around the hole?

Thanks

Mine came with a little Allen-head plug in place of the zerk. I just bought a pack of zerks at the auto parts store and put one in whenever I grease it and then replace it with the plug afterwards. If you leave the zerk in there you run the risk of it hitting the cats and possibly doing some damage.

I think the zerk is a 6 mm metric thread but I bought 1/4 28 and they will screw in well enough to work.

HTH

No. It looks like a set screw about 1/4" long. You might be able to find one at a good hardware store but finding a metric set screw is gonna be a challenge. You could modify one of the zerks in the package you buy by cutting off most of it. I think its OK to let it stick out a little but not the full length of the zerk. All the plug is really designed to do is keep dirt out of the slip joint.

• 9 months later...

Archived