Cat replacement

Hey all

I need to replace my right side Cat Converter, it ticking like crazy at idle.

Im looking for any suggestions as to cheap aftermarkets, I have a welder and grinder but Ive never done this myself but I would like to.

I know I can get a bolt on but they are a little more expensive than welding a universal.

Either way, any input on this would be great

I was going to suggest replacing the cat with a dog but then i read the article so i'll save that whitty comment for another time :)

I have used a bolt on cat before on a past car. The only reason why most muffler shops prefer to weld is to prevent leaks in the exhaust system as exhaust can penetrate the cabin area and cause effects on it's passengers. What I did to prevent leaks I put a a very thin amount of ceramic sealer on the exhaust tube going into the cat. The clamp, you want it tight enough to have the cat not fall off. If you over tighten then you can cause the exhaust tube to disform and not have a hight seal. Just for the ease of install, I have prefered the bolt on cat at that moment in time.

I picked mine up at a local Midas for about $150 with clamps but it was for a economy car.

Thanks for the great article. The Rover has a seperate bolt on CAT so I dont have to remove the whole Y section. Ill probably spend the extra dough and just do the bolt on thing as it look fairly simple, I crawled under there today to check it out.

The noise only comes at idle and within a few minutes after start up. Seems like when the exhaust is just getting hot.

I tried the screw trick but it lasted about 5 minutes before the sound came back.

Ticking when it's cold? And goes away when hot? Could just be an exhaust leak at one of the flanges. Run your hand around the flanges on first start up and see if you can feel air coming out someplace. If the cat is bad, when you bang on it it will sound like it's filled with sand. Good luck!

Steve

No no

other way around. Quite when its first started (cold) and starts making a rattling sound in about 3-5mins, but more like the exhaust gas pressure is rattling something. Sounds like a loose piece of metal clanging on metal (steel) like a clack clack clack clack, but once you step on the gas a little it goes away as if the pressure form exhaust gas is strong enough to seat it in place.

Seems like as soon as the pipes heat up the noise starts.

I had a bad plug on that side a month ago and I think it just shoot alot of unburned fuel through the cat and burned it out.

Archived