Hidden winch

I have been holding off on a which bumper mainly because I dont really want to ruin/enhance the looks of the dII front end. I came across an article on a install of a discrete winch on a 04 DII and honestly I really like the way it looks. Has anyone contemplated or completed an install like this before?

http://muddyoval.com/articles/disco2tech/discretewinch/index.htm

Does land rover offer a factory winch mount?

Urban Panzer on LandRoverForums just posted his write-up on this. The link is to his site where he's been documenting the mods to his truck.

Thank you very much for turning me on to the link. I guess the next question do winches need to be serviced? with the winch up and hidden, any type of service would be hard to do without having to take your front end apart

I've been looking at the discrete winch mount also. I'm not sure it will work with the A-bar I have on the '04 which is made out of plastic and foam and sticks out pretty far. I also have the OE steering guard and want to retain the front recovery point, all of which are mounted with the same four bolts through the frame that hold the crush cans in. So I'm not sure it would all be compatible.

DAP has them for the DII for $135 listed under "Under Bumper Winch Mount." I ask Steve Young at DAP if it would work with the A-bar but he never got back to me. I may just get one and see if I can make it fit. Why don't you buy one so I can look at it? :D

As far as the OE Land Rover winch mount - it's ugly. It mounts from the same spot on the frame but sticks out in front of the bumper and really cuts off the approach angle. I think it's the one shown in the G4 picture here.

I've been looking at the discrete winch mount also. I'm not sure it will work with the A-bar I have on the '04 which is made out of plastic and foam and sticks out pretty far. I also have the OE steering guard and want to retain the front recovery point, all of which are mounted with the same four bolts through the frame that hold the crush cans in. So I'm not sure it would all be compatible.

DAP has them for the DII for $135 listed under "Under Bumper Winch Mount." I ask Steve Young at DAP if it would work with the A-bar but he never got back to me. I may just get one and see if I can make it fit. Why don't you buy one so I can look at it? :D

As far as the OE Land Rover winch mount - it's ugly. It mounts from the same spot on the frame but sticks out in front of the bumper and really cuts off the approach angle. I think it's the one shown in the G4 picture here.

$135 bucks is a killer deal. Now after looking at the install, there is some cutting up of the bumper to make everything fit. I dont quite know if I am comfortable enough to do that. With the factory winch mount, it bolts up with no modifications to the bumper. I asked a female friend of mine just now of what she though about the "ugly" winch mount and she stated she would have to wear a paper bag on her head if she had to ride in my LR with that thing on lol

The chopping of the bumper for the hidden winch mount has kinda turned me off as well. I would like to devise some sort of "remote" for the clutch so I could avoid making that big hand hole in the plastic. I'm sure it could be done but it would involve buying the winch to work it out.

Regarding the Kia, you better hope she doesn't find someone to build it out for her because if she does, she'll be running circles around your Disco. :D:D

I believe you can find those at your local dealer. If I am not mistaken that is the factory winch mount and only available WITH a Warn 9k winch. Cost is around $2200 or so for the kit.

OMG this is exactly what I am looking for!!

http://www.expeditionexchange.com/04d2/DSC05940.jpg

Does anyone know where I can find one of these winch mounts? I am unable to find anything in google :(

Just called my local LR dealer and spoke with their service dept. None of them know how to order one or if they still make it. If the price Gary spoke about is correct then it wouldnt be much cheaper then a ARB sahara bumper with a warm XD9000 winch so there goes my idea of a inexpensive winch mount other than the discreet mount

The other option I discovered is a winch mount that connects to your hitch receiver, but the only problem with that is that you cant winch your way forward through an obstacle. I wont be drving through the rubicon or any mud pits so I dont quite know if thats a problem or not. Just want something to get me unstuck.

I guess inexpensive was the wrong word. it was more like "reasonable" :) If i were to purchase anything, it wouldn't be untill after summer. Right now I am doing a cost benefit analysis on mods and figuring out what I need vs want. So far on my list is a lift, bigger tires, and a winch.

I'll probably do the winch first because my tires are still new. I'll wait till i have to replace them and downgrade to 16" wheels and bigger tires. And doing a lift with stock 18's and stock size tires, I think it will look a little goofy. I want to go with 16's as it appears there are more of a selection of tires available.

It all started with buying diff guards off of ebay and now my checking account is tembling with fear.......

The one bad thing about that bumper is that it only comes in a silver powercoat and honesty I dont think it will look good with my metallic green. I will need to have the powerdercoat burned off and repainted to match the color of my LR which will add to the expense.

I do like the look of a color matched bumper

http://www.offroadexperience.com/wcb/images/ARB_Beach.jpg

Archived