Camping Advice: Camping with a Dog

foster

Hey y'all. I asked this in the Jefferson WhatsApp today but thought it was both worthwhile to put here for everyone's benefit, and to get more advice. We got a dog recently, and haven't taken him camping yet. We're taking him on his first camping trip this weekend...anyone have any tips or tricks for what to expect, and how to make it most enjoyable for everyone? At the end of the day...he's just a dog, so I'm sure he'll be fine. But I thought I'd ask!

Summary of the WhatsApp advice:

-A light-up collar will help with keeping tabs on him while running free

-A tick removal tool

-Bring towels to help him stay clean, and a soft-sided crate so he can feel at ease in his own little home

-Set up a long rope between two objects, and carabiner a leash to it to make a dog run (I love this idea!)

-Bring something for him to sleep on, because the ground is cold. If really cold, get a doggo jacket.

-Silicone collapsible bowls for water

-"He's just a dog, he'll be fine"

What else ya got?!

I treat my pets like family.... and like they're a 5 year old, so... 

Dogs really should not be off leash unless it's in enclosed/fenced area.

Their curiosity/hunt/chase instinct can kick without notice, even if they're trained.

Esp. now that spring is here and we get warmer mornings, rattlesnakes are more active for warmth, food and mating... for that reason alone, I'd keep them on leash.

For transport, either have dog in a secured/tied down crate sized for your dog, or in harness that's collision rated.

I've had ppl tell me their dogs ride fine in backseat or on lap... to which I ask, why do you get to wear seatbelts. 

https://www.outsideonline.com/2326736/we-need-talk-about-keeping-dogs-safe-cars

Bring tweezers to remove any thorns or splinters from their paws if they run through brush. And first aid bandages.

Also suggest to looking up things to treat bee stings... b/c dogs are curious. 

And for those reasons...I now have a cat. She's lazy and just wants to eat and sleep. :) 

Have fun! 

post-999-0-50169000-1555649778_thumb.jpg

Archived