Adopt-a-Soldier

All,

There's a thread on Dweb about Stephen King dissing the military. Regardless what you all think about Stephen King, the Military, Afghanistan or Iraq, we have our soldiers over there risking it all.

The end result of this thread is that I volunteered to do my own personal Adopt-a-Soldier with one of the guys on Dweb who will soon be in Afghanistan. There is plenty of stuff they need over there that they can't get from Uncle Sam.

I would like to heartily suggest that the NCLR consider doing something similar. We all sit on our butts over here while brave young men risk it all. I think it would be very special if we, as a club, get together and do something similar.

With all of us we could adopt a unit or something. All chip in, find out what these guys need, and send it to them.

Let me know what you all think. I think it's a stellar idea. I"m already putting my money where my mouth is for one guy and his unit.

JH

Edit: Please correct the title to Adopt-a-Soldier someone.

I would like to heartily suggest that the NCLR consider doing something similar. We all sit on our butts over here while brave young men risk it all.

First, I think the NCLR doing something like this is great. I would support the clubs being involved. Politics are one thing, but supporting those brave Americans that go where they are told to go and do what they are told to do, no matter what, is what this is about.

Second, young MEN and WOMEN.....

Third, and I know you mean no disrepect, but if the club or anyone wants to do these things, that's great. However, although all of us have not served (and I believe we have had members as part of the armed forces) it is important that you don't diminish what others have paid while "We all sit on our butts over here". I know that although an innocent statement meant to spur members into action, it is important to be repectful of others also.

For example, my family continues to pay the debt offered by my sister, Major, USMC KIA. My father served, USMC in Vietnam. My Grandfathers, USNA Commander, Ret. and USArmy Col. (RIP). I hope you don't think that I have "sat on my butt over here" as I had to follow my parents walking behind the caison in Arlington, so we could bury my sister. I know that if I take some offense at that statement, we want to make sure that we don't send that message out as I doubt I would be alone.

We need to look at it as showing our pride for those who continue to stand tall, that walk proud and do the work they do because they are Americans. And that we are proud as Americans to show them our support.

Wasn't mean to be insulting, Mike, just my figure of speech. I'm including myself in that statement. Regardless of how you phrase it, what I meant was we're over here where it's relatively safe, they're over there risking their lives, it would be nice if we did something, that's all.

Well, as some of you may already know, my wife and I are both in the Army, Active duty status. I have seen action twice in the Middle East; looking at another very possible deployment sometime between now and 2010. My wife has been one of those fortunate few to have missed deployment, so far, for which I am thankful. So when I speak about our involvement overseas, I do so from the perspective of someone currently in the midst of it.

As correctly stated earlier on this thread, we go willingly into battle simply because we are told to do so. It is the job we have chosen for ourselves, to put our lives at risk in defense of our way of life and the best interests of our Nation. But I can assure you that NO ONE hates war more than the soldier, who has to live with the scars caused by it for the rest of their lives. I can't tell you how many people stop me on the street as I normally go out for lunch in my uniform, or stop on the way home to buy a few things again in uniform, and the most common question seems to be "what do you think about our involvement in the Middle East"? My answer is always the same, "I pray for the day when every single American soldier is back home with their loved ones, safe and sound; which is where every single one of us wants to be. But until that day comes, we will continue to answer the call to arms and represent our Nation proudly whenever and wherever we are called to do so.

Many of the reservists and National Guard soldiers called to serve hold lower enlisted ranks in the military, while holding high positions in the Corporate World as civilians, making the salary they receive from the Military on active duty seem like scraps compared to their normal salaries and needless to say, their families go through countless financial sacrifices as a direct result of the main provider in the home suffering such a huge cut in pay. Can't tell you how many Lawyers, Doctors and small business owners have lost their private practice because they were called to serve. The sacrifices are greater than most people realize and even if life is not lost; the financial, physiological and emotional scars last a very long time after a deployment.

I think this proposal is an honorable one. We don't need to "agree" with the war, but we certainly need to support our troops who are ultimately paying the price and wearing the scars in a very personal way.

Count me in to support in ANY way I can.

Wasn't mean to be insulting, Mike, just my figure of speech. I'm including myself in that statement. Regardless of how you phrase it, what I meant was we're over here where it's relatively safe, they're over there risking their lives, it would be nice if we did something, that's all.

I know and I always assume positive intent.

With this subject, I have learned that a slip of the "right thing to say" really can dig at families/members of the armed service. It's just important to remember.

Also, Jantiz has it right. This is in no way a political thing. Members of the military are not given the option to "decide not to go" becuase they may not agree. We as citizens owe a great gratitude to these people for serving, regardless of how they may feel about the job they are asked to do.

We pray for them, pray for their families and ask that they all can come home soon!

Support we shall. And speaking of that, where is the American flag given to the club that was in the Middle East? I think Steven has that, right?

I'm in...as amatter of fact, what about a BBQ gathering where we (I & company) prepare "High Altitude tri Tip sandwiches and "All" proceeds go towards the "cause"

Maybe we can make it the Napa/Wine tasting NCLR trip so we can get a large turnout.

But at any rate, count me in!

Archived