Camp desserts ideas

BEAR

As some of you you know I’m a firefighter in the Bay Area and with that comes some pretty good meals. So I took that experience and put it into the Overland community and have been cooking for an outfit. I have a problem coming up with good desserts to cook in the bush. I never cook dessert at the fire house or at home.

Does anyone have good ideas? I don’t have much experience with a Dutch oven and I’m cooking for six people.

As some of you you know I’m a firefighter in the Bay Area and with that comes some pretty good meals. So I took that experience and put it into the Overland community and have been cooking for an outfit. I have a problem coming up with good desserts to cook in the bush. I never cook dessert at the fire house or at home.

Does anyone have good ideas? I don’t have much experience with a Dutch oven and I’m cooking for six people.

Peach cobbler.  An old Boy Scout dutch oven recipe.  In fact more like a sponge pudding, but close enough.  I must have the recipe somewhere ....

Graeme

Peach cobbler.  An old Boy Scout dutch oven recipe.  In fact more like a sponge pudding, but close enough.  I must have the recipe somewhere ....

Graeme

This one is close:

Ingredients
  • 2 (16-ounce) cans sliced peaches in heavy or light syrup, or in fruit juice
  • 1/2 cup baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • Ground cinnamon
Topping:
  • 2 1/4 cups baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • Cinnamon sugar (1/4 cup sugar combined with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon; store in an empty spice shaker jar; shake well before each use)

Spray a Dutch oven with vegetable oil cooking spray

Drain 1 can of the peaches. Combine both cans of peaches, including the juice from the undrained can, the baking mix, sugar, and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Place this mixture into the Dutch oven.

To make the topping: Combine the biscuit mix, sugar, butter, and milk in a resealable plastic bag. Drop bits of dough, using your fingers, on top of the peaches. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Place the Dutch oven into (or over the heat of) the fire and shovel coals on top.  Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crusty.

Can all be done really easily, with the kids helping if necessary.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Graeme

Archived