Satelite Phones

ChrisJB

Any one the group have experience with satelite phones? I have been looking at Iridium phones for quite a while and am considering one for emergencies and to maintain the embilical cord to my work when I am out 4wheeling and lost cell phone coverage.

I bought a Sat Phone for the same reasons you are considering one. I have the Globalstar and it worked well the times I have used it in the field. Right now I would recommend Irridium as the Globalstar network is missing some Satellites and you get fragmented service. They have lowered there rates to $20 per month if you can deal with the service issues. I am keeping my Globalstar as I can deal with the service issues and $20 per month is hard to beat.

I checked globalstar and they have an unlimited plan for $49.99. Looking over their plans it seems to good to be true! :D

http://www.globalstarusa.com/en/airtime/voicepricing/

The phones are cheaper too!

With Iridium I am looking at hundreds of dollars for just a handfull of minutes. Now I will be googling user reviews to get a better grasp on service issues with globalstar. My work phone is a nextel so I am used to really crappy service :D

I have been reading the user reviews for globalstar and doesnt look good. Lots of complaints with service. Dont quite know if the issues are really as bad as they are or maybe the user's dont understand how a sat phone works (like need a line of sight). So I think when we head up to blackrock desert. I am going to rent a phone to see how the service is.

So far this is the best deal I have seen online for a sat phone

http://satellitediscountstore.com/globalstar-ultimate-plan.aspx

Of the two systems, Iridium has the potential of being a much more robust system and better coverage. Globalstar is a one hop system and requires that the satellite you are using have visibility to both you and a ground station. This is not a huge constraint so long as the constellation is complete but when holes appear the coverage can get spotty. Iridium is a multi-hop system so any satellite that can see you, the user, is almost guaranteed connectivity to a ground station.

Iridium is used heavily by the US Government so it's going to have better service and reliability. More expensive too, probably.

HTH

Globalstar's issues are that they lost some satellites and thus have coverage gaps depending on the time of day and your location. They offer a "coverage optimizer" program that tells you when the best time to make a call is for your location. When it works, it works great, the problem is getting the call made at the right time.

They are planning on sending up there new Satellites in early 2009 so are offering super deals now. Call them and ask for the $20 per month plan with unlimited calls. I got it by calling to cancel service and found out they would offer the "special" plan if you complain.

I do not use a Sat Phone enough to warrant the Irridium service and there high pricing.

I contacted globalstar and talked to a Bob from Kansas with a really thick indian accent. I asked him about the $20 plan and he stated he has no info on it. I hungup and called again and got the same results when i spoke to another person.

I called satellitediscountstore.com and verified that the $9.95/mo unlimited plan is legitament so for $300 w/phone and activation plus $9.95/mo for unlimited voice and data is a good deal, plus no penalties if i discontinue the service if it does turn out to be un-useable for me.

I will probably be going this route as an Iridium phone runs 1k+ roughly and a 500min pre-paid card is almost $700.

So i'll give globalstar a try and if it works, awesome! if not then at least I wont be out too much money with a useless phone.

Archived