Mod Madness in March

Disco2Guy

Gotta love tax season!! I just sold my stainless running boards and rear tail light guards too. With that flo I'm getting 5 new BFG's, RTE 2" springs (already have OME shocks), RTE sliders, and roof rack extension rails (crossbars soon to follow for my surfboard). Still hoping to get the Tuffy box as a combined parents/fiance birthday gift in early March. I have a few recovery items I still need to get and a tire repair kit too. Otherwise I'm ready to start hitting some trails with you guys. I'm taking photos of each mod along the way too. I like the idea of monthly Hollister meetings, and will post my thoughts in that thread. I hope everyone is having a fun and safe time at Shaver Lake!!

Thanks for the offer Disco12! A buddy of mine helped his brother install a lift on his Chevy, and the install looks to be about the with the D2. My only question is about getting the springs out. I know the sway bars can be disconnected to get the axle low enough to remove the springs without a compressor, though I'm thinking of renting one just in case. Where should I unbolt the sway bar?

Thanks for the offer Disco12! A buddy of mine helped his brother install a lift on his Chevy, and the install looks to be about the with the D2. My only question is about getting the springs out. I know the sway bars can be disconnected to get the axle low enough to remove the springs without a compressor, though I'm thinking of renting one just in case. Where should I unbolt the sway bar?

I didn't disconnect anything, use the stock bottle jack between the frame and the axle, this makes the swap suuuuper easy...

Steve

Sorry Esteban, but I don't quite follow what you mean, I'm the less mechanically inclined part of the lift equation. How do you mean to use the bottle jack? I've heard (I think) that once the front end is jacked off the ground to use the bottle jack to lift one side of the axle to remove the spring. Is this what you are referring to in your post? I've been looking at a writeup on D-Web for installing the lift so far, but they used a spring compressor.

A spring compressor is not "required" for either Discovery Series, it all depends on what approach you want to take.

An OME lift will go in with little trouble if you use the "jack" approach to lower your suspension to get the springs in and out.

To get a 3" on you most will need to disconnect one side of the sway bars and possibly loosen the brake lines to get room for the springs.

If you use a spring compressor, you will not need to disconnect anything or remove anything on the truck.

So pick your favorite technique and have at it!

Yea honestly I dont know how else to do a lift without a bottle jack. I have used my trusty red land rover bottle jack to install over a half dozen lifts on just about every one of my old club member's trucks. We should have a tech meeting...I miss bolt on parties with free pizza and beer.

Archived