September 12-15 Mono Lake/Bodie/Mammoth Lakes "Unofficial" Trip

Hi All,

It was indeed a fantastic trip!!! On the first day we met at Bridgeport and took a scenic route to Bodie and then to Mono Lake. We stayed at a fantastic little semi-developed campground (Upper Deadman) which is about 20 miles south from Mono Lake (quite close to the beginning of the Laurel Lakes trail. After some much needed rest, we took off to Laurel Lakes (10,000 feet elevation). I stayed by the Lake (primitive campground) while Antonio and Ruppert got back to Upper Deadman Campground - the route to Laurel Lakes is not accessible to trailers and thus they had to get back to their tents. On the third day we decided to follow the Sand Canyon trail which was quite challenging at times but super fun. Instead of staying by the lake at the end of the trail (which turned out not to be as picturesque as described in guide books), we drove back to Sonora Pass and stayed at the most amazing primitive campground by the Levitt Lake (a must to see as it is simply stunning).

All trails were pretty easy to moderate at times and are accessible to all high clearance LRs. If you like camping in the wilderness - this is definitely the trip to add to our annual schedule. Also - this is a good trip to include our families :)

I attach some of the pics.

See you all in 3 weeks at the annual.

Best,

Michal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Antonio I shall be driving a Range Rover(naturally) but it won't be the new 95 purchase!

Ron that looks like Colorado not the Eastern Sierras

Nethan, are you bringing your new rrc to the annual?

Yes, the mammoth area had beautiful places.

Actually planned on having Gryphon hang out with Nolan and probably will drive Corinne's L322 so no off roading whatsoever.

QUOTE=astateofmike;28126]You bought ANOTHER ONE? At least bring extra sheet metal or stay off of Tank Traps!

Currently I am coming alone and bringing a tent cot and the SWB. The annual always falls real close to my Bday, and since I missed Mojave due to weather, the wife gave me the day (after soccer until noon) and the night to just go hang...

Awesome pics and trail logs guys! Anyone ever go the other way to Masonic, or Aurora, etc? I travelled a lot of that terrain following my Grandpa's notes and stories about his Gold and Silver mining experiences. Was sad that I didn't't have the weekend to join you guys on this expedition.

Archived