September 12-15 Mono Lake/Bodie/Mammoth Lakes "Unofficial" Trip

Hi All,

As some of you may know the annual official trip to Mojave got cancelled due to the adverse weather conditions. Some of the folks that were originally planning on going to Mojave are not giving up and we are planning an unofficial 4 day trip to Eastern Sierras (Mono Lake/Bodie/Mammoth Lakes area). I will be sending more details around Friday mid day (proposed trails etc) but in the mean time wanted to let other members know and maybe get some additional folks interested. I will be leading the trip and will prepare all trip docs and also will arrange all typical emergency contact info database (we will have a SAT capability with us).

If any member of the club has suggestions as to the trails etc., we would be more than happy to hear from you!

EDIT AS OF 9/10: FOR THOSE THAT DON'T WANT TO SCROLL DOWN TO THE LAST POST THAT CONTAINS FINAL ITINERARY I ATTACHED ONE TO THIS FIRST POST

Best,

Michal

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brenton - Laurel Lakes trail sounds amazing! I think we should include it for this trip. I did order the book you mention and it should be arriving later today. I will then scan and upload pages for the relevant trails to this thread for all of us to decide which ones we want to do. It sounds you are also up for this trip! This sounds great. This brings the provisional total to 4 cars.

After we select the trails I will create the trip document and will also call the ranger's office to inquire about trail conditions.

Hi All,

After looking at maps (but without yet looking at offroad trails in NorCal Backroads book) I am thinking of the following intinerary for the Eastern Sierras trip:

Day 1 (Thursday): Meeting at noon at Bridgeport (200 miles from Bay Area)

At 1pm heading to Bodie (Ghost Town) - offroad trail starts at Bridgeport

For description of the trail to Bodie please go to:

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/backway-to-bodie-ghost-town-4x4-road

After visitng Bodie we head to Mono Lake via fire roads (mostly). We should arrive at the lake by 4-5pm at the latest

Camp at the lake

Day 2 (Friday): After breakfast head to Laurel Lakes (offroad trail)

Camp at Convict Lake campground

Day 3 (Saturday): Mammoth Lakes (offroad trails and campground options to be determined)

Day 4: (Sunday): Heading back to Bay Area either via Yosemite Park or Sonora Pass

I will have more details about the offroad trails (I plan on adding options for each day) and campgrounds on Friday but wanted to share this initial proposed intinerary. For each night I will include an option of (i) off the grid (but legal) camping; (ii) organized campground and (iii) nearby motel. I think this will allow us to choose the options we think are the most suitable and also allow folks that prefer other accomodations to chose what they like in case the group makes another decision.

Hope to hear your thoughts.

Best,

Michal

Hi Guys,

I just spoke to the rangers and it looks like we are going to have a great weather for our trip (mid 70s). I was also informed that because of fires, no campfires are permitted and thus here is the question: Do we want to stay at an off-the-grid camping site but without an ability to have a campfire or are we ok with staying at established campgrounds (there are several very nice ones around Mono Lake - see SaddleBag Lake Campground for Day 1 or around Laurel Lake - see Convict Lake campground for Day 2). Also, we can mix/match - stay at a campground near Mono Lake but off the grid by Laurel Lake (the max quota there is 5 persons). My initial recommendation is to stay at the SaddleBag Lake Campground for the first day and then off-the-grid by Laurel Lake for day 2.

Let me know your thoughts.

Best,

Michal

Update - I have been corresponding with an Eastern Sierra's 4wd club (easternsierra4wdclub.com) and guess what - they have their big trip coming up the weekend we are there AND graciously invited us to join them. The trip is for 14-15 (exactly the dates that were a bit fuzzy for us) and is centered around Coyote Flats. Please see below a trip description from Mike (president of that club). Apparently, Coyote Flats are their favorite destination...

On 9/14 we will leave the Bishop "Y" Shell station at 8 a.m. and those that do not want to spend the night will return to Bishop that evening. For those that want to spend the night we will return on the afternoon of 9/15. If you can, please try to leave some room in your vehicle for extra passengers. We will be giving some hikers with the "Friends of the Inyo" a ride to the Baker Lake Trailhead and they will do a day hike. They will make their own way back to Bishop via Parcher's Resort or South Lake. Following is a schedule of events:

9/14

7:45 a.m.- Meet/greet at the "Y" and arrange vehicles/passengers, air down vehicles and have a drivers meeting.

8 a.m.- Leave for Coyote. You will get some great vistas back across the Owens Valley and at the top we will cross the Flat, pass the old airstrip and cross the famous bridge .

11 a.m. Arrive at the Baker Lake trailhead. We will have lunch and the hikers will disembark to begin their return hike.

12 p.m. We backtrack to Sugarloaf and explore along the way. We can check out the line cabin and the beaver pond areas. At Sugarloaf we will take the Big Pine turnoff and descend to Onion Creek. We will make any repairs that might be needed on the road at that point. Onion Creek may be a possible campsite for those that want to spend the night. We will go back to the top and check out two more great vista points.

4 p.m. Those that are not spending the night will start their return to Bishop. They should arrive back about 6:30. The overnighters will determine where to set up camp and proceed.

9/15

8 a.m. Pack up camp and head for Coyote Lake, Coyote Ridge and Green Lake overlook. Explore these areas and then head for Bishop, or Big Pine, after lunch.

THAT BEING SAID - If we are interested in joining the Eastern Sierra club for their trip we would have to cut down on the first portion of our trip as we would have to be in Bishp by 8am on Saturday (which would not be possible if we are staying overning at Laurel Lakes campground). Let me know your thoughts.

Good timing. It's ~6 hours to Bishop, so we'd have to travel on Friday. We might be able to leave early am, do Laurel Lakes in the afternoon, and then camp or find a hotel nearby for the night. Saturday morning we would meet the others at the Shell station.

Looks like their club has some nice built up rigs.

Hi Brenton - so the idea would be to leave the SaddleBack camp early on Friday 8am ish and head to Laurel Lake (have lunch there) and after head to Bishop and stay there overnight. The alternative is not to join the sierras club and explore on our own. I am largely indifferent but it is a lot of driving and thus want us to be all on board :)

Hi All,

I guess both Antonio and Rupert prefer to explore on our own and thus the trip remains as originally indicated (without the meet-up with the Eastern Sierras Club). I got the books earlier today and will look for the trails for Saturday.

Best,

Michal

Bodie / Mono Lake / Laurel Lakes / Mammoth Lakes Final Itinerary

Day 1

Noon - meet up at noon in Bridgeport, CA (Shell gas station - 453 Main St Bridgeport, CA 93517)

Drive to Bodie and then Mono Lake

See attached trail description

After visiting Mono Lake head to SaddleBag Campground

(for photos of the campground see: http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Saddlebag-Lake)

Cost: $19 per site (no reservations) There is one group site

Day 2

Leave the campground at 10am

Head to Laurel Lakes and set up camp

This is a primitive campground (no campfires permitted)

Max group size permitted 5 person - Current List of Attendees: Michal (pilot)/David (co-pilot); Antonio; Ruppert - Antoni & Ruppert please let me know if you have any passengers

See attached trail description

We will require a permit ($5 per person) which I am going to get it for all of us.

Day 3

We have the following three options:

1. Coyote Flat - All day trail - seems to be a preference among folks that visit this area and highly recommended by several books. The issue is that we would have to drive from the Laurel Lakes to Bishop as the trail starts from there (40miles). See trail description attached. After the trail we would could (a) stay at a primitive camp site by Baker Creek or (B) get back to Biship and stay there at a motel/campground

see trip report: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/30788-Coyote-Flat-CA-(5-days)

2. Sand Canyon - nice "moderate" 4 hour round trip trail. See trail description attached. Camp either at the end of the trail (primitive campground) OR get back to Toms Place and camp at a Rock Creek Lake Campground ($20 per site - first come/first served basis)

3. Inyo Craters - nice "easy - fire roads mostly" 4 hour round trip trail. Camp around Mammoth Lakes (lots of camping options available - e.g. Pine Glen Group campground ($61 for whole group site)

Ruppert & Antonio - Can you let me know which option do you prefer? Trail wise it seems that the Coyote Flat is an awesome trail BUT it is a long one (I don't mind it but wanted to hear your thoughts).

Day 4

Head to Bay Area and Ruppert heads to LV - If we can, I will head back via Yosemite (120 hwy)

Hi Roupert,

I tried calling earlier today to make a reservation at SaddleBag Lake Campground but they told me that our group is too small and thus we will have to do first come / first served. That being said, they said there shouldn't be a problem for Thursday night.

Best,

Michal

No passenger.

Sand Canyon my 1st choice, I can leave for LV before dark.

Inyo Craters sounds too easy and touristy.

Coyote Flat very popular, long, best for another trip(?)

Hi Roupert - got your vote. I really have no preference and thus if Antonio's preference is also the Sand Canyon than we settle for that one. It would allow us to have more time to hike and explore the areas without rushhing around.

Both Antonio and I have RTT trailers.

I see a potential problem with Rock Creek Lake campground for our trailers, since parking is away from campsites. Tho, at this time of yr, there may not be full campgrounds

.http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=20388&actid=29

If I leave after Sand Canyon the question maybe moot.

Both Antonio and I have RTT trailers.

I see a potential problem with Rock Creek Lake campground for our trailers, since parking is away from campsites. Tho, at this time of yr, there may not be full campgrounds

.http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/inyo/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=20388&actid=29

If I leave after Sand Canyon the question maybe moot.

Hi Roupert - there are several campgrounds in the area and thus I will research other options.

Hi Michael,

The itinerary looks good. I will go with Sand Canyon as well. I will be traveling along on this trip.

Michael, is good that you are looking in getting the campsites reserve but if you can't reserve them is fine. We can always pull on the side of the main road and find a site to camp at. Sometimes you just need to have a general idea of what areas to visit and things just fall in place. :-)

That is what exploring an adventuring is all about. :-)

Hwy 120 open thru Yosemite now. Is that the shortest quickest way to Bridgeport from Dublin? Alt are sr4 or sr108.

On Thursday we are going to drive via Sonora pass as it is the quickest but on Sunday we are going to take the scenic route via the park

What time you plan to leave on Thursday from Danville? Do you want to meet in Manteca and caravan from there or just meet up at Bridgeport? The reason i ask is because i know all of us need to go through there if we do plan to take 108 or 120 over the mountains.

Anyway, do you recommend we carry extra fuel?

Archived