Off-roading near Santa Rosa?

Hey everyone,

I have been a bit missing in action lately, as things have been nuts for me at work and traveling! I have to check back through the threads and see how the July MORG went earlier this month.

I do have a few new accessories: jerry can holders and a few jerry cans (some for petrol some for water).

I may be heading up to Santa Rosa next weekend - is there any off-roading trails near by I could check out?

See you all at the August MORG.

-David

Not near but reasonably close SVRA is Cow Mountain in Ukiah: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

We have a planned club event there Aug 3 & 4th; help Mendocino Rally w/Ham Radio Comm and/or Logistics; are you interested? http://mendocinorally.com/page9.html

Not near but reasonably close SVRA is Cow Mountain in Ukiah: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/ukiah/cowmtn.html

We have a planned club event there Aug 3 & 4th; help Mendocino Rally w/Ham Radio Comm and/or Logistics; are you interested? http://mendocinorally.com/page9.html

Thanks, Ron!

Ah yes, I forgot about Cow Mountain in Ukiah. I have never been there and was wondering how it compares to Hollister Hills SVRA? Since I will be in Santa Rosa, I just want to take a couple hour side trip out there and check it out. I will likely be alone (maybe one other person), so are these trails pretty intense and would it be better to have a spotter or more experienced people with me? I want to take a drive along some unpaved roads, but nothing crazy - say no more than mild- to slightly moderate in difficulty.

I will check out the website you provide for the Mendocino Rally - sounds like fun!

-David

TigerDan is pretty familiar with Cow Mountain. I've been there once, but it was raining incredibly hard that weekend. We just tooled around on the main trails which you'd be fine on.

There are some hardcore parts of Cow Mountain so unless you're with someone in the know, I'd stick to the main paths.

TigerDan is pretty familiar with Cow Mountain. I've been there once, but it was raining incredibly hard that weekend. We just tooled around on the main trails which you'd be fine on.

There are some hardcore parts of Cow Mountain so unless you're with someone in the know, I'd stick to the main paths.

Thanks, Brenton!

I saw some YouTube videos and there are some rather crazy trails. I will send TigerDan a message to get his thoughts, but it sounds like I'll be fine on the main trails. Thanks!

-David

You will be fine, most of the trails are tame. The worst thing might be a little pin striping. It is easy to stay away from the harder stuff, as most are either side trails or near the obstacle course. I would not suggest trying "the wall". Lots of easy trails, be ready for some dust. It is less than an hour from Santa Rosa to the Ukiah entrance.

You will be fine, most of the trails are tame. The worst thing might be a little pin striping. It is easy to stay away from the harder stuff, as most are either side trails or near the obstacle course. I would not suggest trying "the wall". Lots of easy trails, be ready for some dust. It is less than an hour from Santa Rosa to the Ukiah entrance.

Thanks, Robb!

I appreciate your input. I plan to just check out the main trails and stick to the easy roads. I heard it's VERY dusty.

-David

Cow Mtn. is a great place to play around in. There are some hard trails but most of the main roads take you into some cool spots where you will be fine. Get a map or GPS because the trails can get confusing. I went there a while back on my dual sport motorcycle (yellow GS) with a friend (red GS) and had a blast but found out the hard way that its better to take a dirtbike than a big pig bike on some of those trails, lol

Have fun!

Cow Mtn. is a great place to play around in. There are some hard trails but most of the main roads take you into some cool spots where you will be fine. Get a map or GPS because the trails can get confusing. I went there a while back on my dual sport motorcycle (yellow GS) with a friend (red GS) and had a blast but found out the hard way that its better to take a dirtbike than a big pig bike on some of those trails' date=' lol

Have fun![/quote']

Thanks, Rippin'AV!

Sounds awesome! Like I said, I want to keep it really mild since I will likely be alone. I will be so close that it would be a shame to not at least check it out. Great photos!

Regards, David

Hey David,

Another idea for you. If you really want something mild (you won't be in a Land Rover but a military Power Wagon), my family and I just got back from Safari West in the out skirt of Santa Rosa; fun and educational: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3987445397753.163204.1029356688&type=1&l=cc59e92384

I wasn't able to go to the Sierra trip w/Solia & the gang this wknd due to work proposal I am working on, but I was able to get a way for 1/2 day and head out to Santa Rosa yesterday. Next time will be staying in their African style tent cabin when time permits.

Archived