Official High Sierras Trip Thread

OFFICIAL: 2012 High Sierras Fishing Trip 7/27-7/30

Ok, this is the official trip thread and registration for the 2012 High Sierras Trip. If you are attending please be familiar with all of the information contained below. We want to have a fun and safe trip while being prepared as possible.

Also we are heading into high altitude camping, all above 10,000 feet. This can cause problems for people. The most common problems are severe headaches and overall feeling bad. There are some things that you can do to help prevent this . It will help if you can spend the night before in Bishop (4100 feet). You should start to hydrate the week before this trip. Drinking water is fine, you should be peeing every 4-6 hours, light lemonade colored urine. During the trip you will need to drink at least a gallon of water per person per day. I will have a filter so that we don’t have to carry 400 gallons of water but I recommend you plan ahead for this water need. Also bring lots of motrin/advil/ibuprofen. I also recommend you start exercising, get that heart pumping as that will also help you enjoy this trip. At 10,000 feet it takes a lot more effort to do everything compared to 5,000 feet or sea level. Being in shape will make things easier.

This is remote back country camping. I will have a SPOT communicator that can send text messages (if i’m a good little boy I might get the 2 way one before the trip). I am happy to send messages to your loved ones to tell them we made it just fine. I will need their cell numbers and carriers (AT&T, Verizon, etc) before the trip so I can load that into the device.

Trip Details:

Trip Leader: Chris Solis (El Solis)

Trail Leader: Chris Solis and his band of merry men (AKA the usual suspects, my dad Ron and my brother Daniel)

Meet at Shats Cafe, Bishop CA at 11am on Friday 7/27. From Christian’s GPS info it looks like it took him about 3.5 hours to go 29 miles to first camp site.

I will be driving in Thursday 7/26, leaving Livermore, and heading to Bishop to spend the night in a motel. I’m looking at staying at the Mountain View Motel but that might change. I have to call them. Anyone who wants to caravan with me that day let me know.

Map & GPS of Area:

Camp friday and Saturday N37 10.053 W118 28.928

Fishing Lake N37 09.743 W118 29.734

Will then head to Funnel Lake Sunday

N37 11.950 W118 30.659

Expected Trail conditions:

Rocky in patches, possibly some shallow water crossings, dirt trails otherwise

Vehicle Requirements:

Open, high clearance 4x4 and stock 4x4 vehicles

Required Safety & Recovery Equipment:

fire extinguisher, CB (channel 7) or FRS (channel 7) for communication

Strong recovery points front and rear, recovery strap, Hi-Lift and/or X-Jack (at least one vehicle carry one), winch (every other vehicle is optimal) Metal shovel, first aid kit, repair tools and spares to suit your vehicle, tire gauge and tire pump

Clothing Suggestions:

It will be hot during the day but temps drop at night

Food / Meals:

Meal plans: BYO for friday lunch through monday breakfast. we can talk about pot lucks if people are interested. I will be bringing a large grill (for all the fish we catch! or what ever you want to cook with fire!)

Water: One gallon per person per day is recommended depending on usage habits. I will have a filter that anyone is welcome to use but make sure you bring a large container to hold it all for cooking needs as well as smaller personal bottles for the continual hydration that you will need to do.

Description:

Fishing, relaxing, usual fun at some remote, high elevation lakes. All of the lakes sit above 10,000 feet elevation.

Detailed Plan:

Friday, July 27

- 11 AM - Meet in Bishop, CA @ Schat’s Bakery

Address: 763 North Main Street, Bishop, CA 93514

Phone: 760-873-7156

- Get lunch, fishing licenses, fire permits, fuel up, check gear, etc.

- Leave Bishop 12 noon for Camp Baker

- Arrive to camp 3-4 hours later

- Set up camp, start a fire, and cook dinner Along the way there are some sites to see, abandoned mines and mills. Set up camp, might have time to hike and explore, wheel, or even hit up some evening fishing (Baker Lake is a mile from camp). Enjoy a nice campfire and company.

Saturday July 28

- Breakfast

- Hike up to Baker Lake (about a mile) to fly fish and hang out (drink lots of water)

- Have lunch at lake

- Head back to camp and hang out or go wheeling, gather wood if needed

- Start a fire, and start cooking dinner (could be a pot luck style)

Sunday July 29

- Breakfast

- Pack up camp and head to Funnel Lake (close to Rocky Bottom Lake)

- Set up camp lake side, have lunch

- Get the waders out and enjoy fly fishing for Rainbows and Goldens*

- Build a BIG fire, this place will be 10-25 degrees colder then Baker Camp (expect snow on the ground), also expect high winds at night (make sure you bring good tie downs for your tent)

- Cook dinner

Monday July 30

-Pack up and head home.

Other Info:

Bring your camera and extra batteries, winter tent/sleeping bag if camping, extra garbage bags, emergency food/supplies for overnight in vehicle, sunscreen, GPS unit, certainly map of the area (i’ll make copies to hand out) and compass, drinking water, nights are cold - bring extra blanket and warm clothing, fire wood, full size spare tire repair kit, and any prescription medications that you normally take.

Clothing Suggestions – The wide temperature range expected indicates layering is the order of the day. Poly-pro and poly-fleece will keep you warmer in cool, wet conditions. Cotton will keep you cooler when it's hot. Rain gear is highly recommended as well as sturdy shoes/boots for those recovery exercises. Gloves and a knit cap for those late evenings and early mornings.

Weather related equipment needs – Water-tight tent or tent-cot, tarps and sleeping bag rated at 20 degrees F or below.

Other camping needs – We will be primitive camping and toilet facilities will not always be available. Please bring Wag-Bags sufficient for your needs. These can be purchased at REI (cheapest) or online at: http://www.thepett.com/

One of the lakes is only accessible by foot and requires a beautiful 30 minute hike to access from camp. For this reason you will want to bring some kind of day pack and lunch.

Obviously fly fishing isn’t for everyone so for those who would rather wheel around that is totally acceptable as long as we all camp together that evening and you stay on trail. This is a delicate upland forest area, not an “OHV park”, and the rangers get really crazy about blazing your own trail.

Services:

Contact

Bishop Rangers Office - 760.873.2500

Thing that I will need to know before we go:

Driver and any passenger names and ages

Any medical conditions that might be important to know about (ie you wear a life alert bracelet etc or have severe allergies to anything)

Truck you are driving

Gear on you truck (recovery, rescue, HAM/CB, etc)

Emergency contact numbers and names

Any particular skills you have (funny or otherwise)

Driver Chris Solis 38

Guests: Dad Ron 69 Brother Daniel 33, Dog Wasabi 4.5 years black lab

CT110 with winch, hi lift, sand ladders, full medical/trauma kit, full set of tools, axe, pick axe, shovel, CB, sliders, full underbody protection, tow strap, snatch block, tree protector, air compressor

No particular skills but my brother and dad can make you pee your pants

Any questions please PM, reply, or call/text me 209-423-3888

Chris

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well great news everyone! I can go! The work event I was going to be tied up for has now been delegated freeing me up for that weekend. I have to thank Chris for running with this. He honestly did a much better job then I did so he should officially stay the trip leader since he has done more trips with the club and since I have never lead a group with the NCLR. My official information is below:

Driver: Christian (27)

Passenger: Jessica (wife, 27), Minka (german shepherd, 15 months)

1993 NAS Defender 110 towing a Chaser Adventure Trailer w/ RTT

Gear on truck: 12,000 lbs winch, 2" lift, sliders, lockers f/r, HAM handheld, CB handheld, small first aid kit, small set of tools, axe, hi lift jack

Schedule:

I will be driving up to Bishop, CA with Chris Solis on Thursday midday. We are going to meet at the Bass Pro Shop in Manteca, CA. We will spend the night there at the Holiday Inn Express on Main St (877-395-2395) which allows dogs.

Food:

Since Chris is being awesome and brining a grill I think we should all help pitch in for dinner and share it. We can discuss details later but I will bring awesome steaks for sure among other stuff. We should all be on our own for breakfast and lunch. Everyone should bring a little wood and I will also bring some bags of charcoal.

Lastly guys please really listen to Chris' info on the preparedness of yourself and your truck. This is one of the most remote locations imaginable and you are seriously at risk if you injure your self or break down. The dumbest little injuries can become life threatening in a blink of an eye. I don't mean to be a nag but you and your truck will work many times harder then normal gasping for the thin air...weak points on you and your truck will be tested. For your own sake....prepare well.

Stats -

Dave (solo)

recent eye surgery - will consult with Dr prior to trip

LR3 - trail prepped

full array of recovery gear

CB/FRS

will PM emergency contact info when needed

due to my lack of maturity, I will not be able to post my "particular skill set" :D

OK here are the links to camp fire permits (now updated for 2012 and still free) and fishing permits ($45 ouch). The group only needs one campfire permit but it is nice to have. If you get you fishing permit now then we won't have to deal with it on the trip and you can fish now!

fishing permit https://www.ca.wildlifelicense.com/InternetSales/

campfire permit http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sequoia/passespermits/campfire_permit/campfire-index.html

New update!!

I got the two way communicator "inreach" from Delorme so if you are going and want to be able to tell your loved ones at home that you are safe I will need their contact info. Also once I get it all set up they will be able to track our group and if need be send you a message about a loved one at home.

On a related note if anyone has a delorme PN-60W and wants the spot communicator let me know as mine is now just a paper weight. We can work out some sort of deal i'm sure.

Subscribed...might be able to get away for this trip but won't know for sure how my work load will be until I'm closer to the date. Hope so, sounds like a cool trip. glad I ran into Christian who told me this trip was still taking place!

Alan (32)

05 LR3...details in sig, tons of recovery gear, hilift, blablabla

CB

Cheers, AV

Hope you can make it Alan! I am getting really excited for this one. For all of those on the fence let me know what your hesitation is and I will convince you to join us!

I would really like to take part in this trip.... BUT... I don't think it would go over so well with the wife and kids as they will be getting back from their five week vacation in Sweden the day before I would be leaving for the trip.

That's easy Nigel, just explain that they had their fun and now you need your fun. And your fun is only 5 days not 5 weeks. :)

Ohhh, did I forget to mention I will just be getting back from my 3 week trip driving around BC and southern part of Alaska. But I'm still trying for this one too!

I would really like to take part in this trip.... BUT... I don't think it would go over so well with the wife and kids as they will be getting back from their five week vacation in Sweden the day before I would be leaving for the trip.

Nigel, I'll go with you on the Sierras trip!! My wife and kids will have just gotten home from 3weeks in Europe as well...

"Misery loves company" and I'm callin' Shotgun!

:-)

Just stumbled on this trip. I would like to add myself to the list, although I do need to check with the family and the schedule.

Griff - age 43 years, 6 months, 8 days. Height - shorter than 'quatch, taller than Dan. Weight - a lot lighter than 'quatch. IQ = at least 100, but never measured. Physical attributes: thinning brown hair, graying beard, slightly pear-shaped body, skinny legs.

1993 D110 with lockers, air, winch, rust, no interior door panels on the driver's side, FRS and CB, some recovery junk. OR, maybe I'll bring the Syncro.

Trip's biggest draw: 'Quatch's compromised eyesight... he won't know what hit him until it's too late.

Trip's biggest drawback: Chris's and Daniel's brotherly banter and belligerent blithering.

LOL! I debated about putting a winky face after i wrote that, but decided against it. You two f'ers are obnoxious and thick-skinned enough to enjoy it.

Might have a buddy with me - same guy (Jim) who was at Shaver in the blue RRC. I'll add his CV when and if necessary.

I know my brother and dad and myself are fishing. There is also a mystery guest who will be attending so that makes it everyone that has signed up plus one truck (2-3 participants).

If I do the math right:

Myself, brother, and dad

Christian and SO

Big Foot solo

Griff possible

Mystery guest (2-3 people)

Alan possible

Nigel and Tom if they can man up ;)

I'll be fishing, too. Then again, shouldn't we let 'quatch do the food gathering since we'll be in his habitat. Figure he should be able to bring us more than fish - maybe a few rabbits, a marmot or two... maybe even a deer. We'll want to cook things though, Beast Man. No fauna tartar for this group.

Archived