Death Valley 2012 - Week of April 8th - gauging interest

Is Barry going to be able to make it this year, or does Cole's school have a conflicting Easter break schedule again?

Barry may be joining us, not sure about Cole. It does conflict. For some reason, the San Mateo schools take the break the week before, San Jose schools the week after. The schools my kids are in (private) take their break in line with San Jose (this year anyway). I have no idea about the other schools.

Research is continuing. Once of the issues I am coming up against is that on Park Service land, group campsites are limited to 6 vehicles. While that hasn't been a problem in years past (in the remote Striped Butte Valley near the cabins) -- and we've also been on BLM land that does not have that rule -- I think we will need to honor the rule in the Eastern part of the park. This means I'm looking for campsites outside NPS land -- and/or thinking about splitting the group up to camp in the evenings -- so will need a co-trip leader to help manage...

The Suttle Shuttle is in again this year. Really enjoyed the couple of times last year that we got to stay at the same campsite for more than one day.

A friend of mine got relocated from Houston to Bakersfield. He's got an FJ Cruiser and is interested in getting it off-road in California. Would it be a problem for him to tag along?

Ahh the Suttle Shuttles. I am thinking about the itinerary -- waiting on some new maps since I am going into virgin, for me anyway, territory.

I am thinking about, for campsites, Striped Butte Valley, the Salt Basin, Queen of Sheba mine, Inyo Mine, amongst others. I am thinking Choloride Cliffs and Titus Canyon -- with a stop at Scotty's castle as well.

It may not be as remote as the first trip, or it may be even more remote. Need to do some planning. We will be heading into the more populated part of the park -- with some of the touristy things. But those are pretty cool to see as well...

The Suttle Shuttle is in again this year. Really enjoyed the couple of times last year that we got to stay at the same campsite for more than one day.

A friend of mine got relocated from Houston to Bakersfield. He's got an FJ Cruiser and is interested in getting it off-road in California. Would it be a problem for him to tag along?

Wow! Now this is sounding like a trip. I am going to start a thread in the members only area -- so any of our itinerary and campsite information is keptt off the worldwide web.

So far, I have as expressing interest the following folks -- current count is 14 vehicles, so we are definitely going to need to plan to split into a couple subgroups -- and camp in separate areas (far enough apart so the Park Service doesn't hassle us) . Also the fire situation will need to be investigated -- we may need to camp in some areas that don't have established fire pits.

Please use this thread http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?1639-Official-Death-Valley-Trip-Planning&p=19743 to review & critique the itinerary, add your thoughts, ask your questions, etc...

Ksuttle #1 - LR3

Ksuttle #2 - LR3

RobF - RR SE

Beaver - D2

Brenton - D2

Jen - LR3

Teds - RR SE

CNelson - Defender

JFlores - D2

CodyNT - RR LWB

Colin - ColinB

TigerDan - RR Classic

SFDisco II - D2

AWood _D2

Ok guys -- getting lots of interest. Please post up your confirmed attendance at the thread over here http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread...anning&p=19743 where I've posted an itinerary, and more information. We've already got 6 rigs confirmed -- I am going to need to set a cut-off at 12 rigs or things will get too unwieldy.

QUOTE=Desertcrawler;19852]Ok guys -- getting lots of interest. Please post up your confirmed attendance at the thread over here http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread...anning&p=19743 where I've posted an itinerary, and more information. We've already got 6 rigs confirmed -- I am going to need to set a cut-off at 12 rigs or things will get too unwieldy.

Link broken

QUOTE=Desertcrawler;19852]Ok guys -- getting lots of interest. Please post up your confirmed attendance at the thread over here http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread...anning&p=19743 where I've posted an itinerary, and more information. We've already got 6 rigs confirmed -- I am going to need to set a cut-off at 12 rigs or things will get too unwieldy.

Link broken

Colin -- link works for me. I think maybe you aren't signed in as a member? I see by your sig you are on the BOD unlike me for some reason... (hah) . Not sure... here it is again... http://nclrclub.org/forum/showthread.php?1639-Official-Death-Valley-Trip-Planning...

• 5 months later...
I think my wife is convinced that a RR is the right ride for her. Looking for an '06 or newer Rover. SHe wants all the bells and whistles. Well, the bells and whistles like navigation, cold weather package, etc. NOT a tricked out off-road monster. (According to her that is how I 'ruined' and 'trashed' my truck). If anyone on the list has a good one they are looking to part with, shoot me a PM, or e-mail me drew@winghartlaw.com

Archived