Lost Coast Anyone

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Catch up w/you later Alan; maybe one of next year's trip.

Ok, plans are still to go ahead Occupy the Lost Coast. :)

Will pitch our tents in the forest and profess (not protest) how great the outdoors despite the impending rain. There is a 1% chance of sunshine this weekend despite what the 99% said.

Also last night we occupied our living room (see picture); my boys and I camped, stayed late and played first day release of Modern Warfare 3 (MW3); most importantly, checking for leaks in the tent and our air mattress. Found a small leak in the air mattress; repaired it, but to be safe bought a back-up mattress just in case. Picked up a queen size Coleman air mattress on sale for about $28 last night (camping gear clearance) by the way if anyone interested; go to Target!

C yah Friday!

I'm still in- leaving from the South Bay if anyone wants to caravan, but I'll be real honest: I'm a tad slow in the mornings, we won't be rolling out of San Jose until at least 8am.

Hey, can I meet up with you in Santa Rosa?? I would prefer to follow somebody, so I don't get "lost.". *chuckle*. It'll be just me, Jen.

Does anyone know if there are fuel station issues on this trip? Should I fuel up at a certain spot? Or are we going to be within a fuel station at many points along the trip? Jerry cans recommended? Thanks!

Hey Josh, all of us need to refuel @ Garberville, CA before heading to the Lost Coast. From Garberville to Wailaki camp is est 22-25 miles (paved), from camp via Kings Peak Rd and where Kings Peak Rd turns into Wilder all the way to Honeydew is about 20 miles, and then head East to Avenue of the Giants (back near Hwy 101) is another 22-25 miles. So total 70 miles till next gas station near the Avenue of the Giants. Have 23 gallon tank (I will be driving the 2004 DII) so I am good (est mpg 10 mpg) and probably only use a lil 1/3 of the tank.

However, I don't know the road conditions on Kings Peak Rd; it's a dirt road and dry season, easy driving. If muddy/slippery and put our truck to work; mpg might drop to 5 mpg. Still should still have gasoline left to get to Avenue of the Giants near 101 Hwy where I can refuel.

Also if we decide to explore off the path of Kings Peak Rd and head to the Ocean, will use more fuel. I am going to bring one Jerry can w/fuel to be safe.

Just got back in. Had a great trip Weather cooperated it was amost warm Saturday and gorgeous today. No real rain to speak of either!

It was really cool to finally put faces to the Names. I can't wait to get back out on another trip. What's next? Here's a couple of pics.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/jfischer160/LostCoast2011014.jpg[/img]

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/jfischer160/LostCoast2011011.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l136/jfischer160/LostCoast2011003.jpg

We also got home safe/sound around 6pm last night.

Enjoyed our wnkd adventure along the upper part of the Lost Coast trail (King Range National Conservation Park). First great surprise was the weather; was expecting rain and partly cloudy wknd - instead we were greeted w/beautiful sun shiny weather both Saturday and Sunday! 2nd was the ocean view, and 3rd was seeing giant redwood trees on our way home.

Great to see Dave/Jette in their LR3, Crystal in her D90, Jen and her son Eric in their LR3, Josh and his brother Mat in a Disco I. We're in the 04 DII. Here are random photos - more to upload later.

Ok now...2 years running and there hasn't been a single drop of legitimate rain! We still had a great time. Maybe going up to Mendo has some weird ju-ju about feeling extra gritty. My shower was AWESOME! Slept like a rock. Today is a day of laundry! We had a good time with all of you guys. Friday night was definitely the Blow-Out for me. The 101 hit pretty hard in the cocktail dept! The weather was blue skies and low-ish temps. Nice to roll with some new peeps (Josh/Matt/Crystal) and hang with the regs! 'Til next year!!!

I tried to upload some pictures but I keep getting File size too large prompts - I quit?? Let me go through the pictures and edit the list. I'll post the Photobucket link later.

http://s697.photobucket.com/albums/vv334/d3rover/Lost%20Coast%202011/

We had a great time. Thanks all for putting up with us!

Here are my photos.

jenlongbauer

(though I'm getting the YOU MUST UPGRADE error from this site, so let me know if you can't see them).

No putting up at all. My sons Max and Jake enjoyed hanging out with your son Eric. Also our family pet Shakespeare (10 years old) enjoyed bugging your puppy dog Duke as well.

Friday night was definitely the Blow-Out for me. The 101 hit pretty hard in the cocktail dept!

I think everyone definitely had a blow-out party in their own ways Friday. Ha! Ha! Ha!

My wife Roz recalls (what memory was left) said between trying Wild Turkey, 15 yr old Glen (Scotch) and that vodka cocktail concoction you made, she was a happy camper; remember we only drink wine and beery only - stopped drinking any hard liq for some time now. KO - took her 30 sec to sleep faster than i can zip up the tent. Lol.

And Crystal, we found her tent cot tip over while she was in it. Funny! The ladies: Roz, Jen, Crystal, Yette all took care of ea other; and everyone made it safe/sound to sleep.

All good!

Also want to thank Michael Beave for volunteering to be a SPOT contact; didn't have any emergencies but good to know another willing members to keep an eye on SPOT messages for trouble. Thanks!

Also want to thank Michael Beave for volunteering to be a SPOT contact; didn't have any emergencies but good to know another willing members to keep an eye on SPOT messages for trouble. Thanks!

I forgot to post it, but I was using my SPOT device the whole trip. I can't exactly recall who my contacts are, but I know my hubby is one and it posts to my FB page.

Archived