Lost Coast Anyone

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I called and left a VM for Carlos. He doesn't freq on this site so hoping to get a call back from him; will post menu soon. Hope to you see you there!

And ditto as suggested, Fish Shrimp and Lobster would be good (thanks to Google Translator - smile).

My vote is for the "Jen Burrito", it's on his FB page, appears to have shrimp and lobster in it. YUM!

Carlos is going on the Lost Coast trip? Seafood is my fav...!

Seafood you ask; seafood theme you get.

Just spoke to Carlos and he wants to keep it simple for the Saturday night dinner; with this said, he wil be making seafood soup and garlic bread enough for everyone; he is asking for a head-count so he can make enough for those interested - pls post if you want in. As we head further north the 2nd day, hearty seafood soup will help deal with the cold and perfect for the occassion being near coastal water.

And Carlos doesn't want your money, just a head count who wants in, your good company & spirit, enjoy the food, and bring your favorite wine, beer or beverage to share with him, his wife and the rest of the club members.

So post up if you're interested in Carlos's seafood soup and garlic bread for Sat and what beverage you will be bringing to share. Thanks!.

For Friday while we are all making our way to the camp site, Carlos and I suggest make it pot luck or BYO for dinner on Friday night. He can make some quick small dish to share; I can bring one or two bottles of red wine and appetizer (cheese) to share. Post up if interested in pot luck Friday.

I will be posting trail information soon. We can check the weather forecast for Shelter Cover. Right now the extended day forecast indicates 60% rain on Nov 11 Friday. Prior days are warm/sunny, if that's the forecast, trail shouldn't be to muddy unless we get soaking rain for all that week. Will keep an eye on the weather forecast as we get closer to our trip date.

Cheers!

Happy to hear that Carlos wants to keep it simple. The last thing I'd want for him is to feel like he's catering another gig. I'm real easy either way. Potluck is fine - self contained is fine. I'd be happy to help out in any way that I can to make the trip more enjoyable. The weather models are still too far out to get a good idea of actual conditions. Plan for rain at least 1 of the 3 days. Base camp will stay relatively dry and not get very muddy. This will really help out when we get off the trail to relax and cook dinner. Bring tarps to cover your gear overnight.

Dear friends:

As Ron just posted, I think that it will be nice to have a hearty soup for Saturday night, the Soup is called in the State of Veracruz Chilpachole and is a close approximation to Chiopino but a little more loose, It goes well with Garlic bread an it's a meal by itself.

Again I want to emphasize that this and adult kind of meal, Its slightly spicy, not hot, but not bland.So please plan accordingly for your kids.

For those who want to know the ingredients, those are:

Shrimp broth with some spices an garlic, chipotle sauce,epazote,

shrimp, fish, crab, chicken thighs.clams, mussels and whatever else I'll find

It is my pleasure to contribute to the group experience:D

Dear Friends:

Life is full of unexpected turns and in my case mine is rule by the rhythm of our Restaurant sales. Up to today we didn't have any serious commitments , but that changed. We were book for next Saturday for a party of 150 people and I have to be at MEXXI'S.

I'm very disappointed,since I really wanted to make this trip , but duty is first .

Be safe and take lots of pictures. :(

Ron, aren't we going to be near Eureka on Friday? I don't want to miss Applebees free food for veterans. No Hooters for me. If there are other vets going with us, let me know! We'll have to have a small celebration. :-)

Hi, sorry for the late reply; been traveling and was out of town.

Eureka is further North.

We'll be stopping @ Gaverville, and then head East on Briceland/Shelter Cover Rd, and then right on Chemise Rd to get to our intended camp Wailaka.

Double check but understand there is a Applebee's Ukiah, CA along the way: http://www.applebees.com/locations

Dear Friends:

Life is full of unexpected turns and in my case mine is rule by the rhythm of our Restaurant sales. Up to today we didn't have any serious commitments , but that changed. We were book for next Saturday for a party of 150 people and I have to be at MEXXI'S.

I'm very disappointed,since I really wanted to make this trip , but duty is first .

Be safe and take lots of pictures. :(

Sorry to hear this Carlos; fully understand; have to take care of business first; will catch up again next time!

Ok folks, crunch time. Friday is the day.

The Lost Coast is the wildest and most remote stretch of coastline in the western United States.

Ocean views, rocky shorelines w/peaks dropping down into ocean pounding surfs, rugged canyons; other parts are forested in huge redwood trees, lush green walls and their clean-running streams emptying into the Pacific.

Lots marine life, and wild life e.g. Elks. As a safety pre-caution, beware of wild animals including Black Bears, and keep in mind that rattlesnakes are known to inhabit this area, even on the beaches. Keep away from clusters of driftwood and rockpiles. Also keep your pets safe.

With that said, where do I sign-up you ask (smile)! Do post here so we can get a head-count and figure out who are still attending. Thanks!

Let's start with the weather.

Forecast (using Shelter Cove, Ca) will be partly cloudy during our trip (Fri-Sun) with highs in the 60s and lows in the 50s. It will get cold at night so bring proper clothing. I will call the Ranger Station and get a better sense of road condition and weather before we leave Friday.

Bring firewood all I can say.

Trip Details

See attached General Map

Friday Day 1

General plan is to leave the Bay Area Friday morning (coordinate with the folks you want to caravan) and meet-up @ the Wailaki campground in the Kings Range Conservation Area.

So if you want to e.g. stop by Applebee's in Ukiah (feel free), or get there early and hike the trail (Chemise hiking trails) behind Wailaki campground (we did that last year), etc... just meet up @ camp by lunch time.

To get to this campground via Garberville on Hwy 101, take Briceland/Shelter Cove Rd heading East for about 20 miles and then left on Chemise Mountain Road to get to Wailaki campground. Allow about 45mins to 1 hr from Garberville drive on Briceland/Shelter Cove to camp.

Camping fee of $8; the Wailaki campground has 13 no-frills sites that can accommodate tents or trailers. All sites are equipped with fire pits, vault toilets and picnic tables. These are primitive sites with no hook-ups for trailers/RV. As mentioned, numerous hiking trails can be found near the campground. The King Range is also a popular area for wildlife watching. Nearly 300 species of birds have been seen, including spotted owls, bald eagles, and coopers hawks.

Nearest BLM Ranger Station is on Whitethorn, CA (halfway between Gaberville and Shelter Cove along Briceland Rd). Tel. 707-986-5400. http://www.blm.gov

BYO Fri Meals

Let's get warm and enjoy the festivity during Friday Day night camp dinner and fire (bring firewood)!

Saturday Day 2

Explore King Peak, Saddle Mountain, and King Range Roads.

From Wailaki campground, we get back on Chemise Mountain Rd heading north. Pass the intersection Shelter Cove Rd again. Left on Shelter Cove Rd shortly and right unto King Peaks Rd. Let's all set our odometer to zero, communicate via CB, and stay in a caravan w/headlights on. Goal is to get to Honeydew Recreation Area and setup camp for the night.

(Info from CA Backroads Book) The King Range National Conservation Area was established in 1970, when Congress created the protected area and put it in public hands under the management of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). It was the first National Conservation area to be designated as such. It is located about 230 miles north of San Francisco and 60 miles south of Eureka, California. The area covers close to 60,000 acres and extends along 35 miles of the coastline. It is administered by the BLM.

In the area, we will explore "The King Range:; it offers dramatic meeting of land and sea along the California coast. Mountains thrust directly out of the surf, and the the summit of King's Peak, the highest point at 4,087 feet is less than three miles from the ocean. The King Range offers stunning ocean views and a rare backcountry experience on the U.S. coastline.

And will check out other mountains including King's Peak as mentioned above and Chemise Mountain as a variety of long ridges, cliffs, gullies and canyons.

http://climbwild.net/sitebuilder/images/John_Wang_cairns_on_Lost_Coast-375x271.jpg

http://climbwild.net/sitebuilder/images/John_Wang_near_summit_of_King_s_Peak-370x270.jpg

BYO Sat Meals

Let's get warm again and celebrate the 2nd day of our trip during Friday Day night camp dinner and fire (bring firewood)!

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/puntagorda3_2006.jpg

http://climbwild.net/sitebuilder/images/Old_unpainted_bunkhouses_on_the_Lost_Coast_near_Punta_Gorda-360x269.jpg

Honeydew Creek Campground

Facilities: 5 tent/trailer campsites with picnic tables, fire rings, vault toilets. No water (campground is near creek; treat water before drinking), no hookups. Wheelchair accessible.

Use Fee: Camping - $8.00

(Only if we ended up driving further north on Mattole Rd) Mattole Campground

Facilities: 14 tent/trailer campsites with picnic tables, fire rings, vault toilets, no hookups. Potable water. Lost Coast Trailhead and parking area. Wheelchair accessible.

Use Fee: Camping - $8.00

Sunday Day 3

Early morning breakfast, and then head East of Honeydew via Mattole Road to Hwy 101. Optional for folks to check out Avenue of the Giants Redwoods or continue to Hwy 101/head East via 20 to Fort Bragg "Glass Beach". Or head back home. My family and I are flexible depending on the weather.

Print the attached PDF map for your refence; you can see the Wailaki campground and the area of King Range we can explore.

Gold Coast is sounding more like COLD COAST.....LoL Death Valley here I go.....warm and sunny blue sky's no dew on your Roof Top Tent no bugs....

Yes, most likely will be cold. No bugs. Just Elks and poss Black Bears or Rattle Snakes. Lol.

Called the BLM office this morning and Ranger tells me that the weather in Shelter Cove has been wet (been raining) and cold (perfect timing, our 12v electric blanket just came in the mail today). Certainly wear appropriate clothing and gears.

Also on Friday, the road to Wailaki camp is paved. However, when we head up north Saturday via King Peak Rd, Saddle Mtn Rd, and King Range Road - these are all dirt road. This time around BLM Ranger recommends 4WD is required.

Very similar to Usal Rd (for those who have been on prev Lost Coast trips). And Ranger said don't head South unto Usal Road; it's impassable w/muddy trails and downed trees (they have not been there lately and doing any type of road maint on Usal Rd). Bear Harbor is also clsoed. Not going on Usal Road and Bear Harbor anyways but good to know.

Also Special Permit is mentioned in the attached PDF; that's for backpackers in the BLM areas; we are camping @ established campground @ Wailaki and Honeydew so no special hiking and camp fire permits needed.

Drive on Lost Coast during the summer is easy but add water/rain, bet yah going to be challenging (fun). See you all Friday.

Archived