Lost Coast Anyone

I am in

Let's think Dinner!!

Ron, any suggestions?

I am thinking seafood theme being a coastal trip.

How about rice/seafood paella on Friday, and/or grilled meat for Saturday (being will see a lot of Franklin Elks on the trail - lol)? Glad to collect $10-20 per person per dinner who wants in. Let's us know what you can do. Yumm.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent. Looks like we have a good turn out; just the right size/# of people/LR trucks for this trip!

Will be me, my wife and two boys; we are always up for good food (thanks Carlos - let us know what you have in mind), drinks, company and being outdoors!

Wohoo - Lost Coast - do it!

Ok Trip is in less than 3 weeks.

Let's post up caravan details; looks like we will have a few caravans coming form the East Bay, S. Bay and San Francisco.

We will be leaving Friday morning Nov 11th by way thru San Rafael to get to 101N or Vallejo is another option.

Meeting place will be Wailaki campground: http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/kingrange/campground.html

Camping fee is $8 per day per site (pay when you get there) (will only need to stay there for 1 night and move on to the next campground for Saturday); and last year, we were able to fit two vehicles per campsite.

Will need to figure out next camp site and Routes for Saturday. More details later.

Also food details, can't wait to hear from Carlos what he has mind. No ATM at the campsite (smile) so bring cash for the site and dinner cost (will get the menu and amount soon).

Anyone heading out from the South Bay or Peninsula? I was planning on leaving Sunnyvale around 5:30 am and picking my Brother up in San Mateo by about 6:00 am and just heading up the 101.

Leaving from SF, so can meet you on the way (I'm near SBC Park)

What time is everyone thinking of heading out? I was planning on leaving at the ACoD just to get in early and maybe do a little exploring, napping, etc. But, I could leave later. I told my brother that I was going to pick him up at 6:00 AM and he almost started crying!

Is there anywhere to fish up there besides the beach? streams, lakes, rivers?

Is there anywhere to fish up there besides the beach? streams, lakes, rivers?

Surfing fishing: http://www.northcoastweb.com/fishing/ocean/surf.htm

And we will be in the King Range area; you need to research and see where Mattole River is located; should be good eating grilled salmon @ our camp fire.

FISHING

The Mattole River, north and east of the King Range, is one of the finest salmon and steelhead streams on the northcoast. The section of river from the Mattole Campground to Honeydew is open from mid-November through February. Anglers should check California Department of Fish and Game regulations and license requirements as they are subject to frequent change. As on most northern rivers, good fishing days are often limited by turbid water conditions following frequent rains.

Anyone heading out from the South Bay or Peninsula? I was planning on leaving Sunnyvale around 5:30 am and picking my Brother up in San Mateo by about 6:00 am and just heading up the 101.

I'll be leaving from the Willow Glen area of San Jose...but I usually go 280-680 up. 5:30 sounds mighty early for a day off, I may just rely on my trusty GPS (though I love the stares when we all drive together on the highway).

I'm getting cold feet. My internal compass is pointing to Death Valley. Novereber is one of my favorite months of the year to go. Southern Cal LR Club is planing on a trip there too if anyone is interested.

Ah! But do they have a chef Carlos on their trip!

Hi members I noticed you guys are going to be traveling to the Lost Coast. I wanted to extend the invite a bit farther north to experience are family's new business http://www.kakaynorcal.com. We just bought the business. We are using a D1 that I been working to fix up for years. It's almost done. And perfect time for are business. if you guys let me know ahead of time I will make special day of kayaking in the humboldt bay or to the Big Lagoon a bit north of Eureka and go exploring around the lagoon. Would you guys be able to make that far north this year or lets plan for it for the spring time great trails around here to explore too. Let me know. Thanks

Henry V.

Chef Carlos???? I know if I complain it just may result in smaller portions but it's Death Valley or your good cooken's....? Pescado y camarones y lingosta?

I called and left a VM for Carlos. He doesn't freq on this site so hoping to get a call back from him; will post menu soon. Hope to you see you there!

And ditto as suggested, Fish Shrimp and Lobster would be good (thanks to Google Translator - smile).

Thanks for the invite Henry. Glad to support another club member's business.

Current plans for this trip (according to CA Backroads 4wheel Drive Guide) is to get as far Honeydew (and then head West to see water, and then head back east to the Avenue of the Giants for our return home to the Bay Area via Hwy 101S).

How far are you from the Avenue of the Giants on Hwy 101?

Love to Kayak especially Ocean Kayaking? Would be interested; we may have to play on a sep trip; let us know.

Also is your site up and running already; tried to visit the site today - getting can not display page message; thanks! http://www.kakaynorcal.com/

Hi members I noticed you guys are going to be traveling to the Lost Coast. I wanted to extend the invite a bit farther north to experience are family's new business http://www.kakaynorcal.com. We just bought the business. We are using a D1 that I been working to fix up for years. It's almost done. And perfect time for are business. if you guys let me know ahead of time I will make special day of kayaking in the humboldt bay or to the Big Lagoon a bit north of Eureka and go exploring around the lagoon. Would you guys be able to make that far north this year or lets plan for it for the spring time great trails around here to explore too. Let me know. Thanks

Henry V.

Archived