Hollister this Sunday 8/21?

A co-worker is visiting SF (he gave me a driving tour in his Jeep during my trip to Canada) and wants to hit some trails. Anyone interested in going to Hollister this Sunday for a bit of tooling around? We'll probably only be there for a few hours, leaving sometime after lunch.

I'm aiming to be at the ranger station around 10am. If you're interested, post up!

-B

Jim and Colin (if you're going). I'll be picking up Owen somewhere in the EB. I think he's staying around Rockridge. Is there a central location we can all meet Sunday morning? What would be a good time for everyone to arrive at the yet-to-be-determined-location?

• 6 months later...

The front of my SD rack has had some rust issues over the past few years. It's hasn't been too bad, so I have just used a wire brush and Rustoleum rattle can. It's good for the short term, but I'm ready for a long term solution, and getting it re-powder coated wasn't something I wanted to do. After the powder coat is removed I'll prep it with Marine Clean (degreaser) and Prep & Ready (etches the steel), then cover it with POR-15, and finally a top coat of semi gloss Chassis Coat.

Currently, I've spent 2 full days just removing the powder coating using a drill and wire wheel, and there's at least another full day of grinding before it's all removed. It's a lot of work but it will be worth it in the end. The mounting brackets are sitting in a foil lasagne tray full of brake fluid. Tomorrow morning (when it's been 24 hrs.) I'll test scrape one with a screwdriver to see how easily the powder coat comes off. Once the powder coating is gone, they will be sprayed down with brake cleaner before prepping the bare metal. For the feet, I have 8 plastic mixing bowls (picked up at the paint store) that are a perfect fit. I'll place each foot of the rack in a bowl and fill them with brake fluid. This is about the only way I can think of to remove the powder coat without a media blaster.

Here are some pics of the process so far. Once the powder coat is removed the rest of the work should go pretty quickly.

post-73-142414658789_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414658805_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414658859_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414658876_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414658891_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414658908_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414658923_thumb.jpg

post-73-14241465894_thumb.jpg

Great job Brenton so far.

The POR-15 I used to coat the flooring of my RRC is still holding, and no sign of rust (that was back in 2009).

POR-15 should hold up well on your SD rack.

Thanks Ron.

The brake fluid didn't do much overnight. There was some minor wrinkling on one of the brackets (which was probably dirt), but the screw driver didn't remove anything. I'm going to Lowe's in search of aircraft stripper, and if they don't have it I'll see if City Paints carries the POR-15 paint remover tomorrow.

...the screw driver didn't remove anything. I'm going to Lowe's in search of aircraft stripper.

Only if Jim can hook us all up again w/the laser demo... Remember that. Perfect for hard to remove, and/or access areas.

Looks kike a good project, Brenton. It's tough getting that old powder coat off if the rust hasn't gotten under it yet. That laser that Jim's guys was great but I wound up breaking it with my rear ladder project. Hopefully the POR-15 will adhere better than the powder coat and will be a tough surface that lasts longer.

I'm sure what you are using is probably better but I've been using a process I learned from my roofer a few years ago. I wipe the bare metal surface with white distilled vinegar and let it dry. It removes finger grease and cleans the metal. Rustoleum sticks like glue after that treatment and it's cheap!

Good luck on your project.

Thanks Brian. I used the white vinegar technique on the Greg Davis bumper. It was kind of a rush job when painting and rust is coming through in certain spots. It may be next...

I'll post pics later, but I found Jasco, a paint and epoxy remover. It's a gel (much like snot) that sits for 15 minutes and makes the powder coat lift off. It took about 3 coats to really work, and even then some of the p/c remained almost untouched. It's back to the wire wheel, but where the Jasco was it's coming off easier.

Here are the pics from today.

Here's my take on using the Jasco. It's still a pita, there's no way around it when removing a powder coat finish. Some sections just didn't seem to be affected by the Jasco where other places stripped it to the bare metal. Overall it took (on average) 2 coats to get through the p/c and another to get through the primer. There was a lot of scrubbing with a scour pad after the stuff did its magic. I would highly recommend using a power washer instead of the scour pad. My house has no water pressure so this part wasn't fun.

The Jasco was good to help weaken the powder coat, but in the end I'll need to go over everything with the wire wheel. Tomorrow should finally be the last day of the powder coat removal process.

post-73-142414658957_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414658973_thumb.jpg

post-73-14241465899_thumb.jpg

The rack is looking really good now. Some of the feet and corners still have powder coat, mainly because the drill has access issues. I'm going to try the angle grinder and a smaller wire wheel tomorrow for those areas. It should only be about a half day to get the feet and mounting brackets to bare steel. Here are some progress pics.

post-73-142414659005_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414659025_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414659042_thumb.jpg

post-73-142414659058_thumb.jpg

The rack is finally bare metal! Using the angle grinder worked great. The 8 brackets only have powder coat on the backside, the fronts and sides are clear. Tomorrow I'll get them finished and start to clean the metal, then get it ready for paint. I didn't get any pics since it was dark when I finished working.

Guest Pedram

I'll take over from here! I'm going to send the 8 brackets over today after work to see if they will bead blast it for you. I'll pick up some 1 inch round tube as well to finish up the bent rear bars before you start to paint it. I'll try to finish those tonight.

It rained so hard that day I took the rack from you! Man I'm sorry it got pretty wet. I'll try to clean up the rust as much as possible before I give it back to you.

Thanks a ton Pedram! Also thanks for working on the shock towers. They might come in handy sooner than I thought. I'm getting a set of 3" RTE springs with only 5K miles on them. These were sold by the person who bought the 5" springs from Gadd.

Guest Pedram
Man getting those brackets sand blasted was great. The guy did charge $20 like I said. And he even said there might be some one local guy who can blast the entire rack as well. I don't know how much he charges though. I might look into that later this week. If your interested I'll take your track there to finish it off. I did get most if the black spots out. And the bent bars are straight now. But I never welded up the legs yet. I bought metal for them and cut one out to test fit it but it was short. I'll cut them longer tonight and weld it up. Hopefully I'm done by then. I tried to get most of the new rust out but there all over. I think most of out might come out with an scotch pad and some elbow grease. I got your legs done in a box from the bead blaster. But not finished.

Pedram has finished working on the rack and it looks great! The rear upper tubes were straightened and he added 4 short upright crossbars on the back section. The 8 mounting feet were media blasted since the powder coat was still very strong on the backside. I'm picking it up tomorrow and hope paint on Friday, we'll see how the weather holds up.

post-73-142414659194_thumb.jpg

Guest Pedram

Here you go Brenton.

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/PedramB33/2012-03-20184448.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/PedramB33/2012-03-20184458.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/PedramB33/2012-03-20184507.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/PedramB33/2012-03-21161858.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/PedramB33/2012-03-21162742.jpg

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss353/PedramB33/2012-03-21162731.jpg

Archived