Return to the Rubicon 2011

Ron, I'll take the green Trasharoo.

Does anyone need or want a co-pilot? I was on the 2009 run so I know what to expect for this trail. I can definately help out with spotting, rock stacking, etc.

Brento, you got the green Trasharoo.

Enrique is suppose to be my co-pilot but if he decides not to go and you want to co-pilot w/me again, you are more than welcome. Promise not to leave you @ Buck Island as you as you stick w/me & the vehicle (smile).

Need to do me a favor and help write the trip report..... because got the green light to have our article posted on Land Rover Adventure Magazine; more on this later.....

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But things might change ill keep ya posted.

Come on Lutz - I know you want to try to soup bowl on the Con... (he! he!)

And this time, try to do the Con on 4wd; you drove half of the trail on 2WD and made it look easy (being towed by Tim of course)!

Ok, got the green light to publish our NCLR trip experience on the Rubicon @ Land Rover Adventures Magazine. Just need help with write-ups and photos.

I can help frame how the article should look like/flow (aka editor), but need good writers (hint Brenton and any others going on this trip) and photo opps.

I can do the general trip planning details, but I need ea to give me (volunteer) some details on preparing yourself also your vehicle for this trip. Also if a first timer on the Rubicon, your impression before and after. And if you are a veteran (meaning you've been on the trail before), what was it like going back, and compared to the previous trip.

Sounds good!

Also Let's firm up the attendees this wknd:

- Tim (trail leader)

- Me (trip planner)

- Nigel

- Colin

- Rod @ Besa

- Yubert from LRRF (guest)

- Poss Lutz

? Anyone else (limit 5-6 not counting Tim)

Co-pilots

- Sasquatch

- Brenton

- Poss Enrique

? Anyone else

I'm not much of a writer but will try my best to contribute in any way possible!

Thanks Nigel; awesome!

What we can will do is collect write-ups for ea or folks volunteering like yourself and incorp it in the larger article that we will all review and agree to submit to Land Rover Adventures http://www.lramag.com/

Chuck has it right. The Jeep Jamboree is after the Jeeper's Jamboree the following weekend, the 5th-7th. It's listed on the Jeeper's Jamboree website.

http://www.jeepersjamboree.com/

This is confusing; site said the Jeep Jamboree is on Aug 5th-7th.

Now I just found out that Jeep Jamboree USA is on Aug 11-14th. Let me confirm.

Ron, you are correct. Jeep Jamboree USA is the same weekend your trip is planned. I know they close the trail to non-participants for Jeepers Jamboree but I don't know about Jeep Jamboree USA. I couldn't find anything on their website about that.

It looks like that is jeep jamboree USA not jeepers jamboree

Seems there are three organizers:

Jeepers Jamboree July 28-31 (the one Chuck, Joe Dirt... are going to)

Jeep Jamboree Aug 5-7 (this is the one I knew of and work around it)

http://www.jeepersjamboree.com/

And then Jeep Jamboree USA Aug 11-14 - these are the dates we are also planning to go.

http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/trip-detail.cfm?TripID=16

Tim and I exchanged voice mail yesterday and we are a go; now with the Jeep Jamboree USA on the same dates as ours, I need to ask Tim.

Ron, you are correct. Jeep Jamboree USA is the same weekend your trip is planned. I know they close the trail to non-participants for Jeepers Jamboree but I don't know about Jeep Jamboree USA. I couldn't find anything on their website about that.

Thanks for looking it up. Also I only found indication of trail closure to non-partipants during the Jeepers Jamboree, and not the Jeep Jamboree USA: http://www.delalbright.com/Rubicon/when.htm; will confirm this.

I read that the Jeepers Jamboree org gets a "Parade Permit" from the county for their events; allows them to only allow partipants.

That's why we avoided the Jeepers Jamboree on July 28-31; it's the biggest and have pretty much like you said close the trail to non-participants. And somewhat connected but diff event Jeep Jamboree on Aug 5-7.

Now the Jeep Jaboree USA is diff org; I have not seen any indication that the Rubicon trail is exclusive on Aug 11-14; infact other 4x4 companies are offering classes/clinics on that wknd; interesting their itinenary is leave loon lake Friday from 6:30-7:30am, and dinner by 7:30pm @ Rubicon Springs Friday/spend the whole Saturday @ Rubicon Springs e.g. swimming, and the Sunday finish up: http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/trips/itinerary/rubicon_trail.pdf

Maybe we can completely avoid the traffic by leaving later in the day e.g. 9am, take our time, camp by Buck Island, pass them Saturday while they are swimming (lol), and then camp closer to Cadillac Hill so Sunday morning, we are up and going... Let me talk to Tim.

Thanks for looking it up. Also I only found indication of trail closure to non-partipants during the Jeepers Jamboree, and not the Jeep Jamboree USA: http://www.delalbright.com/Rubicon/when.htm; will confirm this.

I read that the Jeepers Jamboree org gets a "Parade Permit" from the county for their events; allows them to only allow partipants.

That's why we avoided the Jeepers Jamboree on July 28-31; it's the biggest and have pretty much like you said close the trail to non-participants. And somewhat connected but diff event Jeep Jamboree on Aug 5-7.

Now the Jeep Jaboree USA is diff org; I have not seen any indication that the Rubicon trail is exclusive on Aug 11-14; infact other 4x4 companies are offering classes/clinics on that wknd; interesting their itinenary is leave loon lake Friday from 6:30-7:30am, and dinner by 7:30pm @ Rubicon Springs Friday/spend the whole Saturday @ Rubicon Springs e.g. swimming, and the Sunday finish up: http://www.jeepjamboreeusa.com/trips/itinerary/rubicon_trail.pdf

Maybe we can completely avoid the traffic by leaving later in the day e.g. 9am, take our time, camp by Buck Island, pass them Saturday while they are swimming (lol), and then camp closer to Cadillac Hill so Sunday morning, we are up and going... Let me talk to Tim.

Bummer about the Jeep thing. Keep us posted Ron.

Will double check. Chatting with Tima and we both agreed to avoid the Jeepers Jamboree, but not sure about the Jeep Jamboree USA; we sent an email to Del Albright: http://www.delalbright.com/Rubicon/rubicon.htm

Just talked to Tim on the phone; even if Jeep Jamboree USA doesn't have exclusives of the trail and we decided to go, will be crowed/slow and no fun for us. Next week Aug 18-21 is not good for Tim.

Lol. We might be back to our original late Aug or early Sept Dates? The good news is that gives folks who needs to upgrade e.g. axles shafts a lil bit more time.

For the folks who are going or interested in going, can you shoot me some dates in Sept (last wknd won't work - our annual NCLR event)? Thanks!

I would be up for a Sept. date. I already have something on the calendar for Labor Day weekend, but at this point I'm open for any of the other weekends which are Sept. 09/10/11, 16/17/18, and 23/24/25. (That's Friday through Sunday)

The Annual Event at Hollister is actually the first weekend of Oct. which is Friday Sept. 30th through Sunday Oct. 2nd.

Anyone who still wants to go in August is welcome to come along with our group. Might be down to 1 disco if my Las Vegas friend can't get his overheating figured out. And if you go again in Sept, I might be able to make that trip too. IF, I can get a kitchen pass for another Con trip AND the annual.

Jason

Anyone who still wants to go in August is welcome to come along with our group. Might be down to 1 disco if my Las Vegas friend can't get his overheating figured out. And if you go again in Sept, I might be able to make that trip too. IF, I can get a kitchen pass for another Con trip AND the annual.

Jason

Hey Jason, thanks for the offer, and certainly any members wanting to go w/you, please post up.

I promise my kids a trip to Disneyland - check out the new Star Wars Tours that wknd.

As for the new dates w/Tim, coming soon....

Last wekend of August or any of the first 3 weeks of Sept. lats get this date nailed soon so I can make sure to get it off.

Colin is last wknd of Aug still good for you. You, Nigel and Yubert are the ones who indicated last wknd of Aug works. Need to check with Rod, and Lutz.

1st wknd of Sept is not good for me (anniv wknd); 2nd, 3rd or last wknd are ok.

Dan, are you good w/guide fee to Tim? or are you thinking co-pilot?

Well, the guide fee is a bit rich for my blood, but if that's the only way I'm going to be able to do it, I'll guess I'll have to scrape it together. Maybe I can get a co-pilot again to help share the expense...?

Archived