Gauging Interest: 4th Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run Feb. 18-20, 2011

Okay, so I have my pink mirror hanger for Saturday, and looks like we'll be arriving Friday now, possibly quite early as I'm going to come with Lucas (11years old now, and wants to drive in the snow .... mmmm, don't think it allowed there is it?) . We'll be making a trip to, I think, Fresno in the late evening on Friday to collect Ann from the train station, unless anyone knows a better way to get from either Palo Alto (preferred), or OAKland, to a place nearby leaving after about 4:30pm. Anyone else coming over late that has a spare seat?

All the above assumes I have a vehicle working by then ...

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme, I hope you can work out your travel plans so Ann doesn't have to take the train, keep us posted.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I count 19 trucks so far. That is a pretty big turn out, maybe the biggest yet. What usually happens is we try to line up every other vehicle on the trail with a winch.

Brenton,

With 19 trucks... how many have winches? I was planning on taking the LR4 but it is winchless! If we are short winches I can take the Disco. Thoughts???

Nigel

I have a HAM as well. Been planning on doing a MARS mod, I will see if I can get that done before the trip. I have reserved camp site 227, do we need this space?

After rearranging the camp assignments we may not need #227. I'll let you decide if you want to keep your reservation. They do have a cancellation fee of 1/2 of the deposit 7-13 days before your reservation date. You and Pedram got reservations about the same day and there was some talk from other people about attending which would have meant we would need the room. Since then Ron has dropped out, and I haven't heard from Enrique or Carlos yet if they are going or not. Looks like even if they do sign up we'll have 1 open spot and not need #227. Here are the rearranged campsite assignments if we keep #227.

Brenton,

With 19 trucks... how many have winches? I was planning on taking the LR4 but it is winchless! If we are short winches I can take the Disco. Thoughts???

Nigel

Feel free to bring the LR4, Nigel. By my count we have 13 trucks with winches (that's not counting your D1), and JFlores has a removable rear winch on his LR3. I'll be uploading the official trip sheet in a few days so you can print it out and confirm that it contains all the info for the trip.

Hey Brenton,

My winch is removable however you need the quick connect plugs to attatch to the winch. If anyone wants to set there rig up for that I would be happy to let them use the winch. So all people would need to do is get two lengths of battery cable approx 23 ft or so has to run from the battery to the rear of the car remember to leave room for adjustments, two connectors to connect to your battery, and a pack of quick connect plugs. All said and done it will cost approx $100 bucks or so you can get everything from any auto parts store. Then just run the cable to the back and you are good. On my LR3 I ran it from the battery over the front R wheelwell and down to the frame rails and ran it between the body and the body mounts, moved over to the center of the LR3 before the rear wheel and struts then over the spare tire and came out where the trailer outlet plug (hole on the L side) is behind the removable plastic cover. I highly recomend this for the LR3/4s great way to get around paying for a bumper but still getting a winch. The Mrs was deafinately happy with the end financial outcome. Give me a call if anyone has any questions

Josh

805-801-6285

No...but at the time he was living in Fresno and he and Arnival did a prerun up there. He had a dark blue DI. Shortly after Stuckfest he moved up here to Clear Lake, then bought a black '04 DII and now lives down near Pismo...

So after reading most of the post on this thread I finally got around to writing you all a lovely tale. Okay, Since I probably have the lightest 4x4 with the biggest tires I can flatten most of the trails down for you all. If needed I can be the rescue crew. As far as the mobile winch idea.... that's a great idea. I was thinking some heavy duty jumper cables should work to. But that's more temporary. Just a thought.

But I have an X-jack and winch myself. But I think my tow strap will be the most used tool. Make sure you have a tow point on your rig. I'm not pulling your axle off. Bring a shovel. I got both a spade and flat one. They are nice to have in snow. I know from experience. Also bring gloves if you have them.

I was thinking of bring my canopy but I hear that there is going to be a storm and it might collapse. But just in case I'll bring it anyway. You never know. Who is doing fire wood???? And do we need lights? I love lights..... ( BLUE LIGHT POLE) ..... bring out the dancing ladies!!!!!

Having you at the front of the pack makes sense. I might bring my EZ Up too. Brandon has a lead on firewood, but I haven't heard if that's confirmed yet. I'll pm him on LRR and see what the deal is with that. We should be ok for lights. There are usually enough people with lanterns to see.

Having you at the front of the pack makes sense. I might bring my EZ Up too. Brandon has a lead on firewood, but I haven't heard if that's confirmed yet. I'll pm him on LRR and see what the deal is with that. We should be ok for lights. There are usually enough people with lanterns to see.

[YOUTUBE]Nb4UMmpZBBs[/YOUTUBE]

How many LR3s are going? Watching the videos and seeing the picts the snow looks pretty deep and everybody seems to have serious lifts on their rigs. Will I be able to partake in all of the fun in the snow? Or am I going to be a bench warmer.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how well the LR3 can really handle itself. If you are that worried about it I suppose Brenton can place you more towards the back so the snow will have been beaten down some...

i wouldn't be worried about your LR3. They are meant to handle more than they look. I can tell from those who wheeled in the past. Just make sure you bring warm clothes and not focus on your rig. I think the truck will do better than you expect. :P

I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how well the LR3 can really handle itself. If you are that worried about it I suppose Brenton can place you more towards the back so the snow will have been beaten down some...

Correct. Before we leave we'll pick an order based on everyone's setup. The group inevitably breaks into smaller sections (it's just the nature of snow driving) so staggering the vehicles with winches and good recovery points helps everyone move along. Air down, stay in the tracks of the truck before you and don't spin your tires unnecessarily, you'll just get more stuck. If you get stuck reverse out following your tracks and try again going forward.

Archived