Gauging Interest: 4th Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run Feb. 18-20, 2011

For everyone sweating what to bring for the potluck, relax...it's not a formal sit-down type of deal. We've never even used a table! Bring whatever you feel like. We'll have a couple of BBQ's going, prolly some Carne Asada or something. Just bring what ever you feel like eating. There will be PLENTY of food to go around - not to mention cocktails! NO MRE's!!!!!

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you'd like to be part of the potluck on Saturday night, add your dish to the list:

Brenton Hot Italian Sausage

Colin

Dave Kinder's Tri-Tip

Antonio

Nigel

Lutz

Josh Mexican pasteries

Dan

Brandon

Graeme

Steve

Christopher

Jen

Pedram

Neil

Josh

Bob Chili

Have fun guys/gals!

Most likely I won't make it to this trip. I have a work project keeping me busy. Unless I get it finished sooner.

Been going to this trip since @ the getgo, and will sure miss out for the first time this year.

You have Brenton (thanks by the way for taking the lead and organizing this trip, and carrying the torch), Sasquatch and other veteran to keep the new comers safe/no man or woman left behind on the deep snow trail - have fun and be safe with winching and driving in deep snow!

Ron

If you'd like to be part of the potluck on Saturday night, add your dish to the list:

Brenton Hot Italian Sausage

Colin

Dave Kinder's Tri-Tip

Antonio

Nigel

Lutz

Josh Mexican pasteries

Dan's Killer Marinated Tri-tip

Brandon

Graeme

Steve

Christopher

Jen

Pedram

Neil

Josh

Bob Chili

I covered this already way back in post #12, but I've gone ahead and added it again here since you missed it for some reason...IDK, could it be you're on overload from all the info already gone over in this thread?:D

Neill, I sent an email to Clay DeWan yesterday to see if he might be interested in the trip. I haven't heard back from him yet...I assume all you San Diego guys know each other, so maybe you could give him a nudge as well...?

Ron, hope things free up for you and you can make it. Just wouldn't seem like Shaver Lake without you.

I just received a confirmation call from Lake Edison camp ground; I am confirmed for space 227. I am planning on bring my son (4 yro James); he is well seasoned and spent time in the snow wheeling across UT last year in the high Mts but the passenger seat is open if anyone wants to join. Will there be any other kids on the trip? I also just ordered a set (well technically 2 sets) of RUD Grip 4x4 for the KM2 255\85\R16. Looking forward to some good fun

Ok Bob, I have you for 227 and Pedram for 236. We shouldn't need any more camps reserved. I got my RUD's in, but the warehouse sent one size too large, #2533 instead of #2532. Working on getting them returned now. I'm not sure what Jen's plans are for Saturday, but at one point she was asking about maybe riding w/ someone. Check with her.

Living in San Diego I don't have much need for traction aids like snow chains... but my nerd gadget lust has me eying a set of "Spikes-Spiders". Combine that with Terrain Response programming for "Snow" and some lockers, and I think I am going to have some fun!

Has anyone ever heard of Spikes-Spider before? They look bad ass, with the price to match. But if they do what they say, it's worth it...

I will send an offer out to Jen for satuday. Corpsman - would be interesting to see how well they actually work. Besides, they could be a good investment after the world turns upside down when the Mayan calander ends; San Diego may end up with Fargo weather.

I am not going on the trip but I have a set of chains that I carry (but never use) for trips up to skiing on I80. they are rated for the following:

30/9.5R15

P255/70R15

215/85R16LT

215/80R16LT

32/10.00R16

9.50R16.5

8R17.5

215/75R17.5

P275/60R15

If anyone wishes to use them for shaver lake, I can bring them to the MORG tomorrow for you or you can meet me some place close to Sac....

Hey Brenton,

Do you have count of how many LRs there will be on this trip? It seems that we have a big turn out which is great but I don't know how we are going to plan the trail run. I have never been there so don't know if having many rigs on the trail at once is a good idea. Maybe we can break into groups or something. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Can you put Mark on Pedram's camp spot?

Pedram and I will be BBQ some stakes for the pot luck.

AA

I count 19 trucks so far. That is a pretty big turn out, maybe the biggest yet. What usually happens is we try to line up every other vehicle on the trail with a winch. At the entrance we can test a few trucks to see how they fare breaking the fresh snow. Inevitably, people get stuck at different points and when you're moving you may not even notice the person behind you is stuck because you're too busy keeping your eyes, and momentum forward. It's usually easier to get pulled backwards than tugged forward. Whatever you do don't keep spinning your tires if your stuck. The friction melts the snow and it becomes ice for the people behind you.

Site 229 is confirmed for Friday night and I believe Graeme has Saturday night! Still not sure what kid is coming with me, what truck I will take or if a trailer will be in tow???

Okay, so I have my pink mirror hanger for Saturday, and looks like we'll be arriving Friday now, possibly quite early as I'm going to come with Lucas (11years old now, and wants to drive in the snow .... mmmm, don't think it allowed there is it?) . We'll be making a trip to, I think, Fresno in the late evening on Friday to collect Ann from the train station, unless anyone knows a better way to get from either Palo Alto (preferred), or OAKland, to a place nearby leaving after about 4:30pm. Anyone else coming over late that has a spare seat?

All the above assumes I have a vehicle working by then ...

Regards,

Graeme

Archived