Gauging Interest: 4th Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run Feb. 18-20, 2011

just an update on the number of people coming with me, now up to me plus 2 (my dad and brother) and the dog of course, all tent camping, no trailers.

equipment question: do i really need chains for this? I have the Goodyear G90 tires. if so do I really need them for all 4 wheels? thanks

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've updated the first post again to reflect a slight change in campsites for TigerDan and Brandon. I didn't realize Dan is bringing a trailer (which counts as 2 spaces at a site), and moved him to #229.

That's fine with me. However, my trailer is very light and can be easily moved by hand, I plan to clear a space for it on the snow if we're too tight for space in the paved parking area for the site so it won't take up too much room. But you can leave the change in place, #229 should work as well as any other site for me.

Chris, you need to carry chains to comply with possible road restrictions depending on the weather, but only for two wheels. You can chain up when we go into the snow if you like, some do, some don't. Some chain all four, some only two.

Auto parts stores, but you'll pay top dollar. Look on craigslist, there are frequently chains available there. Just be sure you know what your tire size is ahead of time, chains typically will fit a range of different tire sizes and most people list that range which is printed on the chain's packaging. If your size is included in that list, you're good to go!.

Chris, you need to carry chains to comply with possible road restrictions depending on the weather, but only for two wheels. You can chain up when we go into the snow if you like, some do, some don't. Some chain all four, some only two.

I thought that you don't need chain if you have 4wd and mud and snow tires? I never had to put them on going to Tahoe during chain restrictions with my pathfinder and BFG all terrains

There is a level of chain control during severe storms which requires even 4X4s to carry chains. Of course, they will usually just close the road if it gets bad enough for us to actually have to use them...

Chain Control requirements from the CalTrans website:

Requirement One (R1): Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels. ( NOTE: four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

That's fine with me. However, my trailer is very light and can be easily moved by hand, I plan to clear a space for it on the snow if we're too tight for space in the paved parking area for the site so it won't take up too much room. But you can leave the change in place, #229 should work as well as any other site for me.

Sounds good Dan. I figure as long as we aren't overbooked people can shuffle around to get the most out of the site available to us.

We haven't needed chains for the past 3 years. Of course anything can change. If you're taking your truck on the trail and have street tires I'd highly suggest getting chains or you won't get very far. I purchased a set of RUD's for my first year and never used them. I sold them to Chris when he moved to Alabama. Since then I have gone bigger, to 33", and haven't purchased chains for the tires. I'll look for a cheap set. Also, if you get chains and haven't used them, please install one of them in your driveway before the trip. It's much easier to figure out how to put them on there then in the snow with people waiting behind you.

edit: Been looking online and came across Winchline.com, who sells the RUD chains. They were a sponsor for our Rubicon trip in '09 and Thor is great to deal with. I may just order the chains from him since craigslist isn't yeilding much for the 33" tires:( 4 Wheel Parts also sells tire chains. They have a store in Oakland and San Jose.

I just got back from Tahoe and at 5500ft there was no snow. Just cold and muddy. I looked up Shaver Lake and it is 5200ft does anybody know what the current conditions are up there amount of snow and what not?

Just talked to the office and they have a few feet right now. I'll call again a few days before the trip and see what the conditions are. There is also a link in the first post to the weather conditions at Shaver Lake if you'd like to look there.

Just got off the phone with Thor at Winchline and ordered 2 sets of #2532 RUD snow chains for my KM2 255/85r16 tires. They're shipping from RUD's warehouse in Reno and should be here by Friday, cost about $225 with shipping and tax. I figure I'll have these for a while as there are no plans to get bigger tires for a long time.

Along the same lines as tire chains everyone should do a check of their equipment and gear before the trip sooner than later. A couple years ago someone thought they had a working winch until they went to use it on the trail. If you have a steel winch cable make sure there are no kinks or broken strands. Last year we had 2 steel cables break during recoveries. If anyone needs a replacement line I have a 125' steel cable with hook I can bring to Shaver or even Mexxi's tomorrow if you act fast. Check your recovery straps as these will probably see the most use on the trip.

Everyone needs to carry emergency supplies in their vehicle for Saturday. While we don't expect anyone get stranded overnight on the trail it has happened before. You need enough water, food (like power bars) and warm clothes for everyone in your vehicle. Personally I keep thermals and socks in a ziplock bag to keep them together and dry mainly. I needed to change socks during lunch because of the snow getting inside my boots last year.

I am potentially in; have to replace blown bilstien shock and a few other maintenance issues.

1. Bob Veiga and son James

2. 2000 Dico II, winch, on board air, Hi-Lift, straps,HAM, etc

3. Renae Veiga 831-419-2225

4. I will plan to meet up with caravan from bay area

5. tent

6.yes, chili

7. None at the momemt

After talking to some folks at Luis' dinner tonight I found there are more people interested in attending the trip. Sounds like Pedram will fax in his reservation for site #227. Ron, Enrique, and Carlos also expressed their interest in joining the Shaver trip. If/when Pedram gets his confirmation I'll place the next three confirmed people in that campsite.

OK guys, reservation request is in for site 232, and 226 as a backup. Figured any other LCRSD folks who want to come can cram in to there if needed.

So far there are 2 of us:

1. Your name (and any guests)? Neill Thornton

2. Vehicle and recovery gear you are taking (include if you’re equipped with/without a winch)? LR3 with front winch, lots of different recovery gear.

3. Emergency contact info? Hmmm.. let me think about that.

4. Your eta arrival to Camp Edison (if you’re 2-3 hrs after your ETA, we can call emergency contact)? ~1-2 PM, we are leaving SD real early to miss LA traffic.

5. Are you tent camping or staying in a cabin/hotel room? Sleeping in the back of the LR3.

6. Interested in Saturday pot luck dinner? What do you want to bring? Sure! Not sure what to bring, suggestions are welcome.

Second guy:

1. Your name (and any guests)? Josh Harris

2. Vehicle and recovery gear you are taking (include if you’re equipped with/without a winch)? Defender 90 with front winch and lots of recovery gear

3. Emergency contact info?

4. Your eta arrival to Camp Edison (if you’re 2-3 hrs after your ETA, we can call emergency contact)? ~1-2 PM, we are going go convoy together

5. Are you tent camping or staying in a cabin/hotel room? Camping

6. Interested in Saturday pot luck dinner? What do you want to bring? Same deal, open to suggestions.

Archived