Gauging Interest: 4th Annual Shaver Lake Snow Run Feb. 18-20, 2011

Haven't chimed in, not that anyone cares, but I cannot attend this year's snow ball. Will sorely miss the sound of 'quatch's immense form hitting the frozen concrete after slipping in his own urine; the acrid smell of Esteban's cigars; the bile-inducing taste of Ron's baloot (i think mine was still alive); and the sight of Colin (or your bro? or was it lutzi) going starfish over tea kettle in your chair at the campfire. until next year...

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey guys just checking in surgery went well so it looks like I'm a go for the trip. I can take any open slot and of course pay my share. Just let me know how much and to who!!!

Chris I have you in group 2 with Lutz, site #230.

Ok folks, I've just updated the first post with today's happenings and requests. Please double check you have been assigned a group/site number if you are planning to attend. The next person interested in attending the trip will need to reserve another campsite.

The following are already reserved for NCLR (all slots for these sites are taken):

230, 231, 233

The following should be the next sites to reserve:

227, 228, 229

Here's a link to Camp Edison's map. We are taking over the upper left side of the grounds "Dogwood" where the 2 green dots are, which are HEATED bathrooms:)

All,

Well, knowing nothing other than time is moving on .... I faxed in for 229 for Saturday, and then tried to book a cabin for Friday night (we won't be there until 8:30pm earliest, probably nearer 10:00pm). Two night minimum stay .... oh.

Now the second problem is that I don't actually have a Rover vehicle that I'd go more than 50 miles in at the moment. The 'parts' D2 has a blown head gasket. The D2 has a suspected blown head gasket (will go 110 miles though all conditions with temp stable, then sometimes cook the next day going just 5 miles). The RRC has a known locked BW CD, although why I should worry about that I don't know because it was that way at least since May, and we've done several thousand since then. Intuition tells me the front left CV joint may not be liking the current situation though. In the snow I have no worries, but getting there .... Of course, I have a 'spare' TC lined up, but need to meet up with Dan, and fit the thing too. Hey ... there's a thought. Dan: How about bringing it on the trip and we'll do it in the snow? .... no come to think of it, a AAA truck home sounds more fun ....

It is too cold to 'enjoy' doing either of the head gaskets at the moment, and my garage is 1/2 way through a remodel so is (a) full of cr&p, and (B) only partially wired for light and power and © devoid of insulation and Sheetrock, so very cold. So no chance of doing the work in there.

Did I say there was a 60% chance of us making it along? Sounds about right.

Happy New Year to you all ....

Regards,

Graeme

It's more than a month away Graeme....

Maybe I should bring that LT230 down to you and then help you stick it in. Sort of "Service After the Sale"...

Dan,

Well, a month goes really fast in my business (and I have a 10 year old son). I've been working on the garage insulation this evening, because it is the only flat space I can park on. Maybe I'll take a day or two off work at some point.

Now, as for the idea of some help ... I'd never turn that down (but need the flat area that I mentioned first, as the rest of my driveway has a terrible slope).

The Rave gives the head gasket as 7.1 hours and the TC as 6.4 hours, so there isn't much in it.

Regards,

Graeme

Ah, but if two of us are working on it, then the TC should take half the time, right? That would make it only 3.2 hours...:D

But remember...the Rave is giving the time for R&R of the stock transfer case, not converting to an LT230. There are a couple of other considerations on the install, nothing earthshaking but a few details that do add up, such as modifying the console to allow side-to-side movement of the shifter and so on...

Brenton - let me know if you want me to reserve the next site. Should I get 227?

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel, that might be a good plan. GraemeWare reserved 229 for Saturday, and NavyDevilDoc (on LRR) is interested, but still needs to check his dates. Actually Nigel, now that I think about maybe you should try to get 229 for Friday, assuming Graeme is ok with that.

Actually Nigel, now that I think about maybe you should try to get 229 for Friday, assuming Graeme is ok with that.

I'm fine with that. My thought was that nobody would want just Friday, so I could add it later if necessary. I guessed that we wouldn't be the only ones unable to leave earlier on Friday, and so getting there late. Thus, 229 could be for the latecomers.

Regards,

Graeme

Ah, but if two of us are working on it, then the TC should take half the time, right? That would make it only 3.2 hours...:D

But remember...the Rave is giving the time for R&R of the stock transfer case, not converting to an LT230. There are a couple of other considerations on the install, nothing earthshaking but a few details that do add up, such as modifying the console to allow side-to-side movement of the shifter and so on...

Large hammer, oxy torch, metal cut-off saw, sawzall, that is the easy part ... fire extinguisher ... check.

I just need to make room (still insulating these walls ... 1/3 done already ... then the Sheetrock).

Seriously though, the HG is easier to do, and those vehicles are less roadworthy. The RRC is at least still running okay. Not to mention the D2 is far cozier inside.

Regards,

Graeme

I'm fine with that. My thought was that nobody would want just Friday, so I could add it later if necessary. I guessed that we wouldn't be the only ones unable to leave earlier on Friday, and so getting there late. Thus, 229 could be for the latecomers.

Regards,

Graeme

If your OK with it I will book 229 for Friday night.

If your OK with it I will book 229 for Friday night.

That works for me ... we may end up pulling in late (10:00pm plus) so if you've cleared the snow for us that would be great! (imagine an emoticon here, but I don't use them).

Are there bear boxes at the campground, or do we need to bring bear containers? Or do we use them for warmth ....?

Regards,

Graeme

Archived