Gauging Interest: Return to the Lost Coast

Fire extinguisher-2A10BC. That is the classification, you can buy at any hardware store/Home Depot etc. They are a little larger than the one's most use, you may recognise them in any commercial establishment. Will put out anything that is on fire, basically it's a 5 pounder that has plenty of charge to do the job. Most auto are a 1A10BC. The numbers mean how much it can put out in any classification of a fire, based on a measured area of the fire. A is paper, B is fuel and oil, C means it's non-conductive. Just remember, engine fires, shoot under and up, do not open the hood to make the fire flash up at you and smother it, anything else aim for the source, or base of flame.Also remember PASS---Point, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jen - Your LR3 will have those recovery points...they are just hidden under removable plastic panels. For my wife's 2007 (the silver one in the video with the silver Thule box on top) we just had to pop off the plate under the front bumper using a quarter (25 cents). We did that when we hit the trail in < 3 minutes and we reinstalled at home in the same amount of time.

We shared recovery gear with the other two experienced drivers (David and Enrique). The white LR3 being tugged out of the mud is mine...the recovery strap isn't :-).

You'll have a lot of fun on this trip and my wife is always saying "How come there aren't more women driving off-road?" So come on out an play with us!

Thanks to Sasquatch, I now know that I do indeed have the recovery points

They are cleverly hidden behind pop off panels. So I'm good to go!

Now I just have to convince my boss to let me take Friday off...or I'll just end up coming down with the Lost Coast flu.

Now I just have to convince my boss to let me take Friday off...or I'll just end up coming down with the Lost Coast flu.

I heard it's very contagious. :)

Some of us might have to come down with the "Los Coast Flu" just because. ;)

Ron,

Could we bump the departure times by 1 hour each day?

Also, we will plan on bringing our PETT Toilet System and privacy shelter. Those that would like to use it will need to bring their own WAG Bags which can usually be purchased in 12 packs or single packs. If David Bregman comes along, he will probably bring his PETT and shelter as well.

Also, everyone should note that we did not come across any garbage cans during our journey in April, so be prepared to haul your trash....pack it in...pack it out.

-Kevin

We can do that; depart from camp 1 hr (later you mean right) ea day; on Friday, those who wants to get to camp early, we can still leave early and meet you all @ camp.

Good reminder about the PETT Toilet; we have supplies of wag bags; thanks Kevin!

Also we will be closing in the details and # of trucks for this trip so if you are interested, post now; I am think 10 would be a good number!

So far:

me - 1 DII

Kevin - 1 LR3 or 2 (smile)

Sasquatch, Enrique, Bear and others ... post up if confirmed for Nov 12, 13 and 14.

Also TigerDan and Granville are contemplating of going the week-end before Nov 12-14 (a schedule that works best for some others e.g. TigerDan, Graeme) so you have two dates to pick from; those interested in going with Nov 12-14, post-up here, and those interested in the week before with TigerDan, send him a PM.

See you there!

Ron

Ron,

Could we bump the departure times by 1 hour each day?

Also, we will plan on bringing our PETT Toilet System and privacy shelter. Those that would like to use it will need to bring their own WAG Bags which can usually be purchased in 12 packs or single packs. If David Bregman comes along, he will probably bring his PETT and shelter as well.

Also, everyone should note that we did not come across any garbage cans during our journey in April, so be prepared to haul your trash....pack it in...pack it out.

-Kevin

My girlfriend Dixie and I are planning to attend this trip Ron. Would it be easier to meet at/near your house on Friday morning, or along 101 somewhere? Does Enrique (or anyone else) have a Hi-Lift?

me - DII

Kevin - LR3 (1 or 2)

Brenton and Dixie - DII with winch & recovery kit

I'm in...if we can meet up with the group on Friday afternoon. I can not get out of work on Friday morning. I should be able to leave the South Bay by early afternoon. Please let me know if it's ok to meet at camp. I'll have my two boys, age 4 & 6.

My girlfriend Dixie and I are planning to attend this trip Ron. Would it be easier to meet at/near your house on Friday morning, or along 101 somewhere? Does Enrique (or anyone else) have a Hi-Lift?

If we leave our meeting point/gas station in Hercules at 8am, we should be in Leggett (top off) in 3 1/2 hours or 11:30am

- 1st Meeting Point on Friday: Circle K Gas Station on 828 Willow Avenue, Hercules, CA at 8am

- Then 2nd point gas station in Leggett 67670 Drive Thru Tree Rd, Leggett, CA

From Leggett we make our way to Hwy 1 and find the entrance to Usal Rd; eta 30 mins.

And on Usal Rd to our campground eta is about 30mins to 1 hr depending on trail condition.

Eta will be in camp by 1pm

Then we need to coordinate another meeting point for or others who may not be able to leave the Bay Area till afternoon.

For example, if Jen & her family leaves San Jose at 1pm, her eta to Leggett is 4 hrs or arrive 5pm. Assuming normal flow of traffic. From Leggett, Hwy 1 and to start of Usal Rd is about 30 mins and another 30-1hr to camp. Looking at 6-7pm arrival.

I will check wtih Rupert; he is thinking of leaving later; see if he met up with Jen and caravan to the campgound.

Anyway else leaving the Bay Area later in the day Friday?

- For those

As I am coming from sacramento where is the best place to join the convoy?

Michaal, can you be in Leggett (last gas top and meeting point before we hit the Usal Rd trail) by 11-11:30am Friday.

According to Map Quest, from Sacramento to the Gas Station on 67670 Drive Thru Tree Rd, Leggett, CA is about 3 hrs and 52 mins (4 hrs). So you need to leave the Sacramento area by 7am if you meet us in Leggett between 11-11:30am.

We can then caravan together to the campground. Will take work for you? I will PM you my cell before the trip.

Ron, - I'm IN for sure. Will be bringing my two kids plus maybe a fifteen year old niece.

Planning on meeting you in Hercules at 8 AM

Brenton- I do have a Hi-Lift and will bring it.

Kevin, you want to meet at the IN-N-Out in Livermore at 7:20 AM

Enrique, I'd love to meet at 7:20am but knowing how things run around this house, I realistically don't think we'll leave Tracy until 8am. We will have my wife's niece and mother with us as well. Wondering if we could leave from Hercules around 9am instead of 8am.

Jen, if you are leaving the South Bay in the afternoon you will probably arrive when it is dark. We hit lots of traffic in San Rafael and again near Petaluma in April. Finding Usal road in the dusk was not super fun (pics below). Also, I'm not sure when the gas station in Leggett closes.

Here's what it looked like in April between 7pm and 8pm

7:14pmhttp://www.kevinsuttlephotography.com/Land-Rover/Lost-Coast-April2010/IMG8630/848087565_4yU2q-S-1.jpg 8pmhttp://www.kevinsuttlephotography.com/Land-Rover/Lost-Coast-April2010/IMG8633/848088177_2XkMg-S-1.jpg 8:20pmhttp://www.kevinsuttlephotography.com/Land-Rover/Lost-Coast-April2010/IMG8638/848089382_Cq6jU-S-1.jpg

Nice pictures in April Kevin.

It will get a lot darker sooner in Nov.

And Kevin, I am getting the same weather predication for our trip: cold and wet (sounds like beer (smile)); it will be interesting for sure (mud); and yes, someone bring a chain saw if we get any strong winds/storm prior to the trip (most likely fallen trees blocking the trail).

And Jen if we can't find another LR buddy to wait and leave the Bay Area till noon, I highly suggest leaving (caravan) early with us. Don't recommend for anyone who has not been on Usal Rd to be roaming around in the dark there (we ran into suspicous characters on Usal Rd; I wouldn't be surprised if they were growing pot - just my guess). Might have to call-in sick (right) so you can leave early Friday. Also I have your raffle prices include SPOT device, shirts, etc... if that's incentive for you to get there early.

We can even move leaving Hercules by 1 hr (9am - just for you Kevin (smile)); wanted to get there sooner than later to avoid afternoon Friday traffic on 101, and getting there w/plenty of light to setup camp, let the kids run around, etc.... moving to 9am is not much diff than 8am. But I don't personally want to leave in the afternoon - been there done that and not fun setting up in the dark.

Another thing we can do for Jen and anyone else leaving the Bay Area later (but no later than 1pm) is to send 2 LRs to meet you between 5:30-6pm entrance of Usal Rd and guide you to camp. Need to be in Leggett (top off fuel) by 5pm; take Hwy 1 and be at the entrance of Usal Road off Hwy 1 on the dot. We need two LR vehicles (equiped with Ham radio/also one @ base camp) for this mission.

Nigel, You wanna join the caravan, we'll be going by Dublin at around 7:30 AM do you have a CB radio?

I'd like to join the cavan through Dublin... are you going north up 680 to Hwy 4 or going west on 580? As far as communication goes, I'm lacking at this time, just two small cheap Motorola hand helds. What channel will you be on?

Cheers,

Nigel

I'd like to join the cavan through Dublin... are you going north up 680 to Hwy 4 or going west on 580? As far as communication goes, I'm lacking at this time, just two small cheap Motorola hand helds. What channel will you be on?

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel - Just prior to the trip Ron will probably publish all the information about which channels we'll be on. I think we'll have a mix of Ham, CB, and FRS handhelds like your Motorola. Radio Shack also carries some handheld CB radios for < $100 (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2437610).

In terms of route to Hercules, I would recommend 680 to Hwy 4 as we can take advantage of the carpool lane (I mean Land Rover pool lane) on 680 north to Walnut Creek. I grew up in Hercules so I can lead us to the spot.

...We can even move leaving Hercules by 1 hr (9am - just for you Kevin (smile)); ...

Ron, Thanks! 1 hour shouldn't make a difference in traffic, but makes all the difference getting the kids up and out of the house in the morning.

-Kevin

Ron, Thanks! 1 hour shouldn't make a difference in traffic, but makes all the difference getting the kids up and out of the house in the morning.

-Kevin

Roger that!

I grew up in Hercules so I can lead us to the spot.

You must be familair with Kinder's; will have some Kinder's BBQ meet for the trip (yumm)

I am also bringing a pair of Maxtrax:

http://www.winchline.com/images-vendor%20products/maxtrax4m.gif

[video=youtube;LT2MOy7WrTM]

]

Archived