Guaging interest Baja 1000 trip November 19-23

I posted up on LRRF as well, here is a copy of that post...just looking for general interest.

I have access to a rental ranch house in La Rumarosa for a reasonable price, belongs to my wife's aunt. Turns out, the Baja 1000 is running an older route that looks like it runs within a couple miles of La Rumarosa. If there is sufficient interest in a group going, then here's the general plan:

Up front charge of around $300 per adult, $150 per child for all food, non alcoholic drinks, and lodging for 4-5 nights. These numbers can go up or down depending on how many people want to go, maybe break it down per day.

The area is incredible as far as scenery goes, chilly nights warm days. Roverdude (John) has taken me there a couple of times, it's an off road playground, rock formations, mud, and fantastic scenery. We'll of course post up to watch the racers come by! All vehicles welcome, but 4WD recommended for offroad excursions.

If there is some interest, you'll have to take a couple days off work, let me know so I can get some pictures of the ranch house and the area to post up here by this weekend.

There are wineries in the area, my wife definitely wants to visit some of those. Also, I will be bringing my big diesel truck and long trailer with my Rover on it, so if there are any major breakdowns I can get you and your Rover home! This would be an ideal trip for someone who's interested in going to Mexico but doesn't know where to start!

Man!! I would love to go. I've been trying to get a Baja trip in for years now.

Bad timing again. With my first kid on the way in the next week or so, I doubt if the boss will let me out of the house anytime soon, let alone the country!!

Maybe next time :( I'll work on her anyway though!!!

Bad timing again. With my first kid on the way in the next week or so, I doubt if the boss will let me out of the house anytime soon, let alone the country!!

If the trip goes well, I intend to do more trips to La Rumarosa, to help my wife's aunt with the cash (primary goal!!), and to show my Rover friends and families Baja in a safe environment. AND to blow off steam!!

I hope to do an official NCLR trip this winter if all goes well with this first trip.

Forgot to mention...my daughter traveled extensively with me in my VW bus as soon as she could hold her head up strong, as soon as that time comes bring the whole family!

Forgot to mention...my daughter traveled extensively with me in my VW bus as soon as she could hold her head up strong, as soon as that time comes bring the whole family!

That sounds like a plan to me!!! I can't wait!! I've been thinking about when to start the little guy out on trips. The sooner the better I figure!!!:D

Having never crossed border before...

1)If we pull a trailer, any special insurace needs? I assume both vehicles need the Mexican policy but don't know about the trailer itself...

2)Any issue with hauling dirt bikes back there to ride around on? Trouble getting em across border? Good places to take em near where we are staying?

• 1 month later...

Big thanks to Eric for setting this trip up. Now that I've crossed the border for the first time, I think I am hooked and will have to try it again. Here is a brief trip report -- but as people say, many things that happen in Mexico need to stay in Mexico!

Day 1 - drove all the way to La Rumurosa -- with a stop at John Gadd's shop in Fullerton where we all rallied up. Eric, John, Peter and I brought the Rovers -- we also had a Jeep tagging along.... Rolled into the place to stay very late & hit the sack.

Day 2 -- Ran the dry lakebed, and went to where John and Peter were setting up camp in a cool little place called Canon Guadalupe.. hot springs, rock fireplaces, and cabana's... Definely a place to consider if anyone wants to camp. Had some interestign encounters with the Federales and the people they were pursuing that spiced up the advenure. Late night wheeling across the lake bed with my heavy duty lights made things exciting. John and Peter and the Jeep stayed to camp -- Erics group and I went back to the hacienda to eat and drink Margaritas.

Day 3 - RACE DAY -- hung out watching the racecars go by as we made more margaritas and food. Didn't see any Rovers in the race, but had a great spot to hang out. I'll let John comment on what happened with his group -- lets just say it involved a rescue with a flaming ATV down on the desert floor as well as some excitement involving a large gully and a fast moving jeep...

Day 4 - Last Day -- Went wheeling out in a lakebed with big rocks, posed for pics. Camera died -- so I need to rely on Erics pix on Flickr. Learned that my rear approach angle is not as good as my front approach angle, and got hung up backing down. Creative rockstacking saved the day..went back to the hacienda -- met up with John's group, compared stories, and had the final meal. Throughout trip I was happy to say I was quite well fed...

Day 5 - Drive home -- it was about 600 miles door to door. Left hacienda, got a bit delayed due to a broken rover (Pete's) which needed trailering back home (bad fuel pump) as well as the Mexican Insurance filing for the jeep. I made it in by about 10:30 -- Eric with the trailer and a few pitstops to drop things off I haven't yet heard from but am assuming he made it in safe sometime that night...

Overall -- great trip -- once Pix get Flickr'd I'll go through and pick out some of my favorites....

Methinks we may need to set up a NCLR trip across the Baja soon....

Methinks we may need to set up a NCLR trip across the Baja soon....

Hummm..... Interesting idea.

Welcome back Chuck. Been awhile since I crossed the border (college days) to Ensanada for some RR. How many tolls did you have to cross and how much are the fees now-a-days.

In Mexico, if you get into a car accident, you are guilty untill proven innocent. Scary! Mexican Insurance is a must (you can buy it online via AAA partnership w/Mexican Co underwriter).

Can't wait to see pics!

I have ideas about a couple of trips, a 'get your feet wet' trip and a more advanced trip. I don't have any trip leading experience to speak of, but I do have tons of experience driving in Mexico. The 'get your feet wet trip' is for someone that has never travelled by car into Mexico, we'll stay at the rancho and take some day trips into Ensenada, Mexicali, and some easy off roading. A more advanced trip would take us to Gonzaga Bay, Catavina, San Quentin, Meling Ranch, and all of the other haunts I have frequented. Anyway, here are some pics of the house, which could handle at most 8-10 trucks with 1-2 passengers in each. Sleeping is somewhat tight as the house itself is pretty small, a 1 bedroom.

Archived