May MORG - No Flats at Poker Flat

We are planning on going still!

@El Chapomint what's the head count? Might want to put the new plan in the first post for easy access : ).

Or even change the thread name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/12/2023 at 2:12 PM, El Chapomint said:

OK...

So I checked in on road conditions...I'm sad to say as of the May 4th corral hollow will be closed until at least the 31st.

We will be trying to make the run up to Poker Flat (it's also a ghost town 👻). This trail is a little further for anyone who plans do make it a day trip (at least from the bay). 

Lets plan to meet at the Rite-Aid in Grass Valley at 10:00

https://goo.gl/maps/acPv2nBdZZP439EQA?coh=178572&entry=tt

There are 2 routes to get up to Poker Flat depending on the conditions, so get ready for an adventure!

Weather will be sunny with temps in the 60's to 70's during the day and dipping down in to the 40's at night. Don't forget your wooly jumpers!

I'll plan to put a corral hollow run on the calendar for later this summer when its open, don't worry.

Is this only a day trip? Will anyone be camping? Being 3-5 hours from the bay, I'd need to camp Friday and Saturday night. So if anyone would like to camp with us let me know! Unfortunately still up in the air about attending.

Edited by drafdog

Leigh Anne and I are definitely camping over Sat night, think Miles and Mario are as well.  Wasn’t planning on driving down Friday night, but could get there early Sat.  Where were you thinking of camping Friday, and when might you get there?

• El Chapomint changed the title to May MORG - No Flats at Poker Flat
5 hours ago, drafdog said:

Is this only a day trip? Will anyone be camping? Being 3-5 hours from the bay, I'd need to camp Friday and Saturday night. So if anyone would like to camp with us let me know! Unfortunately still up in the air about attending.

I'd love to camp Friday in addition to Saturday night, but not sure if we can make it up that far with work. TBD, but for sure we will meet you all at the gas station!

Ack plans changed. I don't have the energy to drive up and with no relief driver for tomorrow/sat I can't make it. Plus I have work early on Sunday so more rest = better. Will definitely try and run another trail before Oregon. Likely Hollister or something closer to The Bay.

Are we expecting snow on the trail? My tires arent in the best conditions right now  

I don't expect it to be a complete snow run, but definitely see some in the shade.

10 hours ago, Motz_the_lr3 said:

Are we expecting snow on the trail? My tires arent in the best conditions right now 😅 

2 hours ago, Jethro said:

I don't expect it to be a complete snow run, but definitely see some in the shade.

Agreed, I don't think/hope it's not a full snow run but I did hear there's probably around 6' at Poker Flat.

1 hour ago, brandn3w said:

I think it's what he just shared with me which looks pretty cool 

Backcountry Adventures: Northern California https://a.co/d/8nrFgYn

We've got this one, I've definitely found it useful.

See everyone tomorrow!

Here's the weather for the weekend:

image.png

Thank you Mario for organizing this one! A great trip it was!

Whilst the snow blocked forward progress it certainly couldn't stop a enjoyable weekend!

@brandn3w it was great to meet you and the lady! Hope we can catch up again soon.

Photos can be added to the club photo album here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/jAKp2hRyiPL9ZkQbA  (the album should not compress full res images : ).