Death Valley

Hey all,

UC Merced's spring break is between the 3/25 to 4/2. I was looking at going to Death Valley for about 4-5 days starting that Sunday(3/26), but its early in the plans so if others have ideas or constraints I'm open to them. I'm planning on running a northern route going from Stovepipe Wells, to Eureka Dunes in day 1. Day 2 we would head towards the race track, stopping at the hot springs for a few hours. After a night at the race track we would either head to Panamint Springs or towards the south end of the park depending on if people need to leave early or to pick up those who would like to go on the second half. For the proposed second half we would head past furnace creek and spend time in the lower part of the park. I have only been in the northern half and run what I've mentioned before. I would like to cross the mountains through Mengel Pass(IMG 2) heading back towards Trona as our exit, but between Panamint and that I'm open for options. There is also 2 ghost towns nearby the pass we can stop at. Everything mentioned here is extremely flexible minus the date range (3/25 to 4/2)s. If anyone has any good places to stop or camp let me know! I want to try and make it as accessible for people to come as of now I don't have enough to make this trip safely or comfortably.

Map of Death Valley National Park

image.png

Edited by drafdog

Unfortunately due to some recent events, I won't have the ability to plan a larger trip. so it will likely be 1-4 days in the valley, liking camping at camp sites rather than dry camping and won't be as far overlanding mileage wise. If anyone is still interested I would need to know by Wednesday the 8th. If not I will still likely do a modified trip somewhere (not snow :( will definity need more vehicles to support that kind of trip) easier or just a basic Hollister run.

Oliver, I might be interested in a shorter trip (my spring break is the same as yours, but I need to grade, so will have to stay in town through Tuesday, March 28.

I can get to the Valley some time on March 29 and will have to be back in SC on Sunday, April 2. This gives us 3 to 4 days in the Valley. If this time frame works, we can talk about a trip plan (I'm thinking, approximately, Trona-Mengel's pass-Chloride city-Titus Canyon-Saline Valley-Dunes; not in one day of course 😉 ). I did this route about a year ago and it took the total of 5 days (including travel from and back to SC). I believe we can adjust it a bit to fit timing for those who want to go. We can do another route too. The point is that 3 to 4 days in the DV might be really nice. 1 or 2 is not worth the length of the trip for me 😞 

Edited by SDS

Unfortunately due to some recent events, I won't have the ability to plan a larger trip. so it will likely be 1-4 days in the valley, liking camping at camp sites rather than dry camping and won't be as far overlanding mileage wise. If anyone is still interested I would need to know by Wednesday the 8th. If not I will still likely do a modified trip somewhere (not snow :( will definity need more vehicles to support that kind of trip) easier or just a basic Hollister run.

Agreed. I have a lot of friends coming home for the week and several are busy till that Tuesday. Still trying to get in touch with a friend who has a Tahoe with 4x4. Everything is still up in the air unfortunately but I think if things don't work out, the dunes would be a great alternative. I should know by Wednesday if we will for sure do this or scrap it for the time being. Do all of the UC's have the same week off?

6 hours ago, drafdog said:

Do all of the UC's have the same week off?

I don’t know. I was surprised yours is the same as mine. Aren’t you on a semester system?

I’m leaning towards Dunes. Never been there.

Oddly yes. I'm still gathering information and interest so we will see how well it will go. My friend with the tahoe has street tires and is interested in both trips, Does anyone know how well they hold up in sand/dunes?