March MORG: Bowman Snow Run

THE MARCH MORG HAS BEEN RE-ROUTED TO CARRIZO PLAINS DUE TO FORECASTED INCOMING SNOWSTORMS AFFECTING THE SIERRAS.

DETAILS FOR RE-ROUTE CAN BE FOUND HERE:

Howdy fellas! It's time to start talking March MORG! (Monthly-Off-road-Gathering)

For those that missed out on the Shaver Snow Run you have a chance for some pow hunting in a couple weeks as we are headed up to Bowman lake. ; ).

Of course, we will have to see what the weather has in store for us.

When: March 11th and 12th

What: Bowman Lake Snow Run (MORG)  - overnight camping for folks that wish.

Where: Bowman Lake 

Things to know:

•  Roads are unpaved fire roads mostly - be prepared for snow coverage.
  • Winter Camping - It may be cold!! Come prepared. Even if you are not planning on spending the night make sure cold weather gear is packed just in case...
  • This is a MORG - all Rover owners and all vehicle models are welcome to join! If you have a friend that is a rover-head and wants to get a taste for the NCLR club life this would be a good trip. 
  • Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Lastly - I've attached MVUM maps for Yuba Ranger District South and a rough GPX track. 

For anyone that wants to do even more reading a few applicable 7.5 minute maps:

• Washington
  • Graniteville
  • Alleghany
  • English Mountain

Yuba ranger district MVUM south, back.pdf Yuba ranger district MVUM, front (bowman Lake area).pdf nevada-city-to-bowman-lake.gpx

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 10:00 PM, SDS said:

I plan to go. Haven't been in the snow this winter yet, except for the hale that we saw in Scotts Valley a few days back.

You should have driven the short 10miles... we had all the snow!

Well folks, after some watching the weather and discussion with others - we are going to move some things around.

1. Weather forecast is expected to dump a ton of snow in the Bowman Area - we don't want/need to be in the way of the Washington residents and those in the area - they will be busy digging out by the weekend. 

2. Oceano Dunes campsites are booked up for April (this was scheduled for April MoRG)

So the new plan is this:

• This weekend (10th/11th/12th) we will head to down to the Carrizo Plains 
  • Check out some wild flowers, see the neon hillsides of California
  • We can do some light overlanding and have a good time hanging out at camp - I am considering leaving Friday.
  • Distance is almost equal from the Bay Area to get down there.

Then for the April MORG we will head out to Bowman Lake for a slightly more mild snow run.

I will update the calendar and get the plan for Carrizo Plains Trip posted shortly.

Ah, and to think that I just finally (I hope) fixed rain leaks on D2!

Now LR3 going to get some attention.

I’ve never been to Carrizo planes. So I like the plan.

Hope we do go to Bowman in April, or at least it snows again here in the mountains. Not going to miss that again!

THE MARCH MORG HAS BEEN RE-ROUTED TO CARRIZO PLAINS DUE TO FORECASTED INCOMING SNOWSTORMS AFFECTING THE SIERRAS.

DETAILS FOR RE-ROUTE CAN BE FOUND HERE:

1. April MORG is now Bowm

2. I don't know, the club-led trip will be Bowman. Eric, trip leader for Oceano, mentioned that the campsites there were already booked up.

3. Yes, dates will stay the same. I will be updating the calendar and post a April MORG event thread early next week at the latest.