Winter camping ideas

Iv seen hudd130 mention it a couple times and it got me thinking if I'm doing it right or wrong. I'm definitely not bear grills and all my cold weather camping theories are based off of person experience not science. So I figured I mention what I do and see what others think and do and see how I can prevent making my family the next Donner party. 

So when I ground camp in the snow I like to have a couple of tarps and a decent tent with a water proof bottom. I put the tarp down then the tent and try desperately to keep the snow out of the tent so it doest create water in the tent, which with 2 dogs and a 3 year old its pretty difficult. Then I put down a pad, iv learned that having a bit of insulation between you and the ground when it has snow on it is a must. Now the fun bit, for cold camping I try to use my bed roll. I'm not sure if bed roll is a technical definition or slang but in the hunting world it's how you define your sleeping bag set up and mostly they consist of a heavy canvas outer sleeve a good canvas sleeping bag,mines rated at -35, and then mine also has a wool liner. With that set up it can be cold as a woman's heart and I'll still be toasty warm. And my secret weapon for sleeping in cold weather is a 40 pound short hair pointer. FB_IMG_1670947838468.jpg.b7c41bf6e893934fae65efc7af180757.jpgLola is her name and she can not get warm to save her life so as a result she burrows down to the bottom of my sleeping bag and never comes up for air. She then becomes my person foot warmer through the night. 

That's most of my ground tent ideas but I'd love to hear others and mabey get into some other cold weather camping ideas and gadgets. Thanks 

My 13 pound mini dachshund can not keep warm enough and he also makes a great foot warmer in the sleeping bag.

Having a warm sleeping goes far too...I recently upgraded to a bag rated to 0 degrees and its made a huge difference. The other thing that we do is put your clothes for the next day in your bag over night that way they aren't so cold in the morning when you put them on.

few tips that have served me well

• wear a hat
  • sleep in long underwear (polypro, wool, ABC*) and wool socks.
  • mummy bags will be warmer than rectangular bags, and use an appropriate rating. if unsure, rent a sleeping bag from REI to figure out what works best for you. Yes a 0ºF bag will keep someone warm at 0ºF but maybe not you. 
  • heated water in well sealed water bottles in the sleeping bag will get you warm and the water won't freeze.
  • vent the tent slightly to let moisture out. 
  • double up sleeping pads. cheap air mattresses will be colder than closed foam pads. check the R-Values. 
  • let your sleeping bag get its full loft before the trip. take it out of the stuff sack and layout for a few days before the trip to allow the insulation to 'open' up. 
  • candle lantern in the tent works better than expected (might be psychosomatic). DO NOT SLEEP WITH CANDLE BURNING. 
  • don't use a huge tent, it will take longer to warm up and harder to keep warm. no more than 1 person over the tent's rated capacity. 
  • if you only have a 3-season tent, consider getting a large tarp to completely cover the tent. the tent fly should extend to the ground. it is the space between the tent and the fly that will provide the insulation. 

* ABC: Anything But Cotton

from "select locations". looks like the warmest bag available is a 15ºF down bag. might be able getting away with buying one and returning it after the trip (100% Satisfaction Guarantee). so like a free rental?  

Long time ago I used a sleeping bag that consisted of a canvas "pocket" with sheepskin "sock" inserted in it. I slept in a canvas tent with no bottom. The bag was on a packed snow and a layer of pine branches (you want less branches and more needles). The temp was about -10F. I was warm.

I actually thought about sewing myself something like that from a couple of sheepskins and a canvas tarp, but it just doesn't get that cold here 🙂

That's pretty much the nuts and bolts. It's about not loosing heat. Some finer points I've learned over the years: Bathroom stuff. Apparently trying to hold your bladder overnight when full of fluid will cause you to sleep colder because your body is having to heat that internal liquid. One of the best points I ever learned at this age where I need pee once a night. Just let it go. Don't try and hold it. And on that point your dedicated nalgene pee bottle in the tent is your best friend. :)

I recently upgraded to the Exped megamat that everyone raves about after my cheapy air bed from Wally World deflated on me overnight on a scout trip. The Exped lives up to the hype. Highly recommended.

For 0 degree bags you don't have to go nuts on price anymore. You can pickup a nice synthetic zero bag from Kelty for about $100. 

What you'll find is you'll end up with your 3-seaon gear, bag, tent, clothing, and then your 4th season stuff. For me, a 20 degree bag in the summer, even in the Sierra, can be too warm too. But it's the 4-season tent where you can spend a lot of money for extreme weather protection and durability. 

Obviously there's a big difference between cold weather camping, which can be nice, versus inclement weather camping, which is kinda a pain.

The las thing I've learned from cold camping with kids is to always have Hot Hands and tape. We like to tape the hot hands onto our kids thermals right onto their backs. That will definitely work for adults too and keep you warm.

1 hour ago, CRYA said:

The las thing I've learned from cold camping with kids is to always have Hot Hands and tape. We like to tape the hot hands onto our kids thermals right onto their backs. That will definitely work for adults too and keep you warm.

“Hot hands” packet inside the sock positioned at the ankle between the sock and the thermal: Slow heat that lasts all night.

Edited by SDS

We actually did another pod and n Saturday after the ANARC episode focused on winter camping and wheeling. We did it since Gus and I were both at the studio and planned to release it later. I’ll put it out tonight since it’s a relevant topic on the forum lately

Uploading the podcast didn’t work. The recording device ran out of batteries during the outro music, maybe that created an issue. I tried to do it my typical way from the SD card through my phone, I’ll try with the desktop tonight, but there’s a chance the episode is lost and will have to be redone. If so, I might try to find time this weekend to do it. If anyone is available and wants to join for the pod, DM me. 

On 12/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, CRYA said:

That's pretty much the nuts and bolts. It's about not loosing heat. Some finer points I've learned over the years: Bathroom stuff. Apparently trying to hold your bladder overnight when full of fluid will cause you to sleep colder because your body is having to heat that internal liquid. One of the best points I ever learned at this age where I need pee once a night. Just let it go. Don't try and hold it. And on that point your dedicated nalgene pee bottle in the tent is your best friend. :)

I recently upgraded to the Exped megamat that everyone raves about after my cheapy air bed from Wally World deflated on me overnight on a scout trip. The Exped lives up to the hype. Highly recommended.

For 0 degree bags you don't have to go nuts on price anymore. You can pickup a nice synthetic zero bag from Kelty for about $100. 

What you'll find is you'll end up with your 3-seaon gear, bag, tent, clothing, and then your 4th season stuff. For me, a 20 degree bag in the summer, even in the Sierra, can be too warm too. But it's the 4-season tent where you can spend a lot of money for extreme weather protection and durability. 

Obviously there's a big difference between cold weather camping, which can be nice, versus inclement weather camping, which is kinda a pain.

I can’t believe I’m saying this outloud but the pee bottle is a good idea. After a long day of beer I usually have to climb down from RTT at least twice at night. Ground tent camping should help that. 

What I’ve seen that’s interesting is the floor below. I know it’s to protect the tent fabric from rocks and snags on the ground but seems like it would catch rain water and feed it back into the bottom of the tent? 

If sleeping in the rain are you legit only using the rain fly for the tent? That’s it? You recommend sleeping on a cot inside the tent? I understand the basic ideas of rain vs snow but has to be some good tricks like a cot tent or sleeping elevated inside the tent in rain.  

Pretty sure on this forum I saw a ground tent with a tarp spread between two trucks. Seemed like a genius idea. 

On 12/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, CRYA said:

Double confirm, we borrowed Robert's Exped Megamats on the Lost Coast Trip... Man... night and day difference. I don't think I have ever slept that well on a trip in a tent. Even considering that 100% of the prior trips were inside the rover on a sleeping platform with air mattress, blankets and pillows!

My additional advice, bring 3 pairs of thick socks - wool preferably - and change them out throughout the day. 1 pair when you wake up, another around noon, and a fresh pair for bed. 

I don't have much else that no else has covered, but I do have a story from an ice fishing trip when we were kids. Dad runs a body shop so we always have huge cardboard boxes that the windshields and fascia come in. One year, instead of tenting it, we took a windshield box and cut a small person sized hole on a side and laid it down. 

Dad and I slept in there with air pads, 0 deg mummy bags w liners, hats and thermals. 

It was so hot in there with the two of us we had to punch the opening bigger in the middle of the night to cool off! Typically the Nebraska winter nights hover about -20 to -17C at night (-5 to 0 degrees Freedom)

We slept better than the folks in the tents!

image.png

Ground tents should not leak water. After time you will need to reseal the seams, but the fabric should be totally waterproof. Seam sealant or sealing tape can be bought at most camping supply stores. I use a “footprint” under the tent, but that really just to protect the tent from damage. I use a ground mat for the vestibule area so I can use it as a mini mud room. Most non 4 season tents will require the rain fly to be waterproof. Most 4 seasons do not, but the rain fly keeps its a lot warmer and allows you to vent your tent without compromising the waterproofing. I have 4 tents and use 2 regularly. The 2 I use are 4 season tents. I don’t carry the fly in warmer weather. Makes it a lot easier to fit in the sack without the fly which is an added bonus. I try not to use a tent that is bigger than necessary either. A small area to heat combined with 2 dogs and a rain fly can create a tent that is significantly warmer than outside. I don’t think you need to get too crazy when snow camping. Just get some basic quality gear. Nice 4 season tent, good quality sleeping bag and pad, and some dry clothes to sleep in. I just use a 15 degree down bag and wear long John’s and rarely am uncomfortable. If it gets really cold, like the Shaver snow trip 2 years ago, then I’ll wear my down jacket all night and that combo can handle almost anything. Snow camping is pretty easy, camping in the rain generally sucks imo. I avoid that if I can. 

Thank you. I have an exped, decent tent, decent sleeping bag and lots of layers.  I’m comfortable during summer so I can figure out in winter and rain. I think I need to just go and figure it out. Sorry for being so analytical.  

WHEN IS THE NEXT TRIP!?!!! 

40 minutes ago, Hudd130 said:

Thank you. I have an exped, decent tent, decent sleeping bag and lots of layers.  I’m comfortable during summer so I can figure out in winter and rain. I think I need to just go and figure it out. Sorry for being so analytical.  

WHEN IS THE NEXT TRIP!?!!! 

No need to apologize, we can all learn something!

Our next trip should be the Annual Snow Run up Bald Mountain in the Shaver Lake area. This typically falls on the president's day weekend in February. Feb 18-20th this year.

Then in March I typically try to run out to Bowman Lake. 

Of course, if others want to lead additional snow trips they always can! : ).

The Canvas tents like the OZ or ever Overland Pros had some not sure if they still do are an amazing four season tent.  

The gazelle tent is one that's on my radar for future spend,  they have great review for a four season as well.  Typically those tents are great in winter and can be warm in summer unless you open all the doors.

I had a roof top tent and they have their pluses for sure!!  But, I'm more into reducing the things I bring.  So depending on who's coming in summer I'm leaning towards hammocks or a Gazelle tent unless I can find an Overland Pros ground tent. 

• 1 month later...

+1 for the Exped Megamat and a good sleeping bag

My lowest temp sleeping bag is synthetic which supposedly works better when wet at the downswing of weight and bulk. I try very hard not to get anything wet. Condensation becomes an issue in well sealed tents and I now err on the well ventilated side to avoid moisture inside the tent.

I have various tents from a well sealed Autohome RTT to a Crashpad swag tent and a Haven Tent hammock / tree tent. I’ve used them all in the snow. I use battery powered and chemical hand warmers in each case. A heater would be nice, but I’m usually warm within a minute of climbing into the sleeping bag.

Long time ago I'd throw a huge tarp down under the tent. Then throw an extra sleeping bag over the tent. I was tired of crawling out into freezing temps, and the bags worked great for my body area, why not the whole tent? 

Worked great. Sizes vary for sure, but having it not completely cover the tent works well for making sure venting still happens. Humidity will build quick so move the bag and let air out frequently. (Didn't do this for a couple weeks and it wasn't pretty)

In half an hour of playing cards the tent gets warm enough for t shirt. Little candle for a few minutes or cooking would get it hot. 

Fold the rest of the tarp over and tie up for a makeshift vestibule or weigh down around the tent for storms. 

Wool socks. Wool gloves, wool hat. Polyester under layer, fleece or wool fuzzy layer, puffy layer, tough/water layer. 

Last week I learned about Hygge. Pronounced "huega" it's the tradition of comfort and conviviality with wellness and contentment. There's a saying "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes" that I've adopted. Bad weather is fun if your comfortable, so put that first.