June MORG - Slick Rock Trail June 10-12th

Howdy All

Lets get some Rover bashing on the docket. This is a very awesome trail with lots of little rivers to play around in and lakes nearby. 

Vehicle Requirements:

Electrically and mechanically sorted (HAH) solid axle vehicle with 33in tires, sliders, and traction aides. There is a high likelihood of body damage... Not that I would care of such things! We can get IFS vehicles to the main camp if people would like to join and ride along. I believe its possible to get most vehicles though this trail in stock form but it would require lots of winching and high chances for major failures (CV's, UCA/LCA's, etc). 

We can make a second group for Corral hollow or Sour grass if we have other who would like to join who dont meet the above requirements. 

Plan is to meet at the Utica side slick rock trail camp Friday June 10th.

Trail run will be Saturday morning 9:00 am from camp to alpine lake restaurant where we will grab lunch assuming all goes well. We will then decide on either heading back down the trail or taking the road back to camp. 

I will be heading up Thursday night to secure camp sites and troll around so feel free to join early If you would like!!! 

Slick Rock camp:

https://goo.gl/maps/4L1J6cLNQhzg94jp9

Radio Freq: 146.460 NCLR standard 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey man! So there is a lot that you can park at which is about 200 yards from the camp site.

Im more than happy to help ferry supplies down from your rig to camp. 

I'm Sure we will have seats available so come on through!!

I'm made good use of my club membership so far this year and missed every event so my summers resolution is to stop that. So I'm planning to make this one I probably won't make it up till Friday evening but depending on Julia's work schedule I may have an open seat. Once she finds out for certain I'll post if it's open or not. Its an extremely uncomfortable ride but we can get some pith helmets and have the uncomfortable safari look.

Due to a very busy June Wheeling Season, Gustav has kindly agreed to run Slick Rock as the June MORG. Calendar has been updated accordingly and thread moved to NCLR Public Events Sub-Forum. 

• Mr.BlueSky changed the title to June MORG - Slick Rock Trail June 10-12th
3 minutes ago, SDS said:

I tentatively plan to come. Will need a ride along the trail, but hope to make it to the campsite.

If I remember correctly, it’s all down hill to the campsite. There’s only one tricky part that’s no worse than what you did on Signal Peak. 

Don stopped filming to give me some directions to get over that rock but it was no problem  

9 minutes ago, Motobrewer said:

If I remember correctly, it’s all down hill to the campsite. There’s only one tricky part that’s no worse than what you did on Signal Peak. 

Don stopped filming to give me some directions to get over that rock but it was no problem  

This looks doable! I’ll plan to be there unless I break the car trying to make it better in the meantime 🙂

On 5/15/2022 at 6:28 PM, Gustav Dow said:

Hey man! So there is a lot that you can park at which is about 200 yards from the camp site.

Im more than happy to help ferry supplies down from your rig to camp. 

I'm Sure we will have seats available so come on through!!

Well, I need to go to UCSB grad that weekend, so unfortunately I won't be able to make it.  Really want to get back out, hopefully in July.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2022 at 1:09 PM, jcb said:

Well, I need to go to UCSB grad that weekend, so unfortunately I won't be able to make it.  Really want to get back out, hopefully in July.

Hope to see you in July! Hope you have fun in SB.

5 hours ago, Renorover said:

So I should have an open seat for the trail. I'll have my kid and dog with me so if that makes a difference to anyone looking for a seat. 

I'll need at least one seat if I make it to the MORG. Children and dogs make it more fun!

Edited by SDS

Jason (13 yo) and I will head up from South Bay as soon as he is out of school on Friday. We should be able to clear most of the back seat in the Discovery for anyone wanting to ride along on Saturday from the campsite.

On 6/3/2022 at 12:12 PM, erinw.rrc said:

Will there be a group 2 for Corral hollow or Sour grass?  I've been wanting to do those.  Can't do Slick Rock in my LR4.  Thanks!

I might be up for that. Haven’t been to either of these trails, but they seem to be doable in LR#

I plan to come if I put my rig back together: redoing most of the rear suspension and accomplished much less over the weekend than planned (life intervened).

Hey all

yes we can setup a second group for Coral Hollow or Sourgrass. Does anyone here have experience on either of thoae trails who would like to lead?

slick rock trail count looks to be 11 people so far. Are we getting a Georgia Bulldogs fan on this run??? Go dawgs 

If I make it up in time I can lead either trail. I’ve done both multiple times and probably makes more sense then trying the gauntlet in my RRC that doesn’t even have a locking transfer case and sitting on some old generic tires. It is not exactly a trustworthy rig at this point. I am planning on coming up Saturday morning, so maybe I can drop off my stuff at camp and then we can head out from there. Neither trail takes too long so we wouldn’t have to get out real early or anything. Corral Hollow would probably make more sense as it’s a bit longer and a loop. Sourgrass is an out and back and pretty short. It also can be annoying if we need to pass a group.