May MORG!!!

*edit*

Normally the first Sat would be the MORG, but with that also being Mother's Day, I'm going to push this one back one week, so May 14th

The plan is to run a 2-fer:

For the mild to moderately built trucks, we'll run Signal Peak trail   http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=82

This is a trail suitable for most Rovers, though for stock I would suggest running the trail 'backward' to the top then back down.  If we have anybody interested in that route we can make it happen, but the main plan will be to follow the trail the 'normal' directly starting from the trail head just off I80 at the Eagle Lakes exit.   I would recommend 32" AT or MT tires (some sharp rocks), sliders, diff guards, and preferably a rear locker though we can always winch/pull you through the few tough spots if needed.

For the more seriously built trucks, we have the option of running Fordyce trail to the first water crossing and back.   http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=32

For this, I would suggest at a minimum a rear locker, 33" tires, full armor, and a working winch as well as appropriately built running gear and suspension.  Though this won't take you to the 'hard' parts of Fordyce, it will still take you to Driveline Hill and Sunrise Hill.  Getting back up Sunrise can be a challenge and there is no bypass.

Both trails start from the same point:

https://goo.gl/maps/5kcxtnaR1usPdbjp7

There is a popular campground just before the trailhead (Indian Springs) however I believe it doesn't officially open until Father's Day.  However dispersed camping anywhere along the trail is always open.  For those that do want to camp, I would suggesting starting down the Fordyce trail a bit until you find a suitable spot.  The first part of the trail is easy enough for stock Rovers.

The plan will be to meet at the trailhead at 9:30 and roll out at 10:00.  I expect I'll be driving the LR3 and will lead the Signal Peak group, so if we have some people wanting to do the Fordyce run for more challenge we'll need a trail leader.  There is some slim chance I'll put the D1 back together before this and if so I may bring it and lead the Fordyce group.

As always, we'll run simplex 146.460 for those with radios.  I don't believe there is any good repeater coverage in the area.  Cell service is fair as I recall.  You can always try my cell at 510-825-5056

If you have any question, drop me a PM. - - - Hope to see you out there!

Edited by DHappel

Disco Stu will be there. I’m just not sure which trail to run.I do have the RTT fitted at the moment and want to enjoy the comfort and convenience for a while yet  

I plan to camp overnight. 

I’m in! Close to Reno so I will bring the 90 and will camp. Either trail would be fun, but would prefer the first bit of Fordyce Creek. Can help lead that if needed, made it all the way through once!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There should be some good snow up there still, after this last storm. I can't make it but am hoping to duplicate the trip in early June with some friends so I'll definitely be interested in @SDS input/feedback on the Signal Peak trail. 🏔️🏔️🚙

6 hours ago, CRYA said:

There should be some good snow up there still, after this last storm. I can't make it but am hoping to duplicate the trip in early June with some friends so I'll definitely be interested in @SDS input/feedback on the Signal Peak trail. 🏔️🏔️🚙

Yes, the snow is worrying.  Until this last storm I was pretty sure this would be a cakewalk but now....IDK

So, family life has stepped in, and I will have to back out now......

If anyone is going to run it Friday, let me know, and i will see what i can doing about making it up there.....

Serge  

3 hours ago, Mffoster said:

I’m planning on heading over Friday afternoon and camping Friday night. Who else will be up Fri night?

I plan to get there on Friday and camp.

1 hour ago, Mffoster said:

Sasha-
Give me a call so we can coordinate camping Friday night.
775-501-2991

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do later today when I'm off duty. Aside from Robert, Andrew also said that he will camp. I don't know if he plans to camp Friday and/or Saturday.

Andrew- Sounds good. I plan on being at the trailhead around 4:00 today, we can meet up and find a campsite. Either the campground Don mentioned or we drive up the trail a bit. We can connect by phone/message to coordinate with people coming up today

Just as a reminder, we'll be LEAVING the trailhead at 10:00 AM tomorrow morning so best to be there by 9:30 so you can air down, hit the bathroom (there's one at the trailhead), BS with everybody, etc.  I will have my phone 510.825.5056 and radio 146.460 on.  I'm planning to take the LR3 and will lead the Signal Peak side.  We may or may not reach the top depending on snow and/or mud from run-off but we'll go as far as we can!

If Mike/Andrew/etc want to run the first bit of Fordyce down to the the first water crossing that's great but I'll have to stick to the easier stuff.  I have done that in the 3, but I'm trying not to do silly things with it these days.

See everybody there!