March MOrG - Bowman Lake S-no-w? Run

Howdy folks! It's time to start talking March MORG! (Monthly-Off-road-Gathering)

For those that missed out on the Shaver Snow Run you have a chance for some pow hunting in a couple weeks as we are headed up to Bowman lake. ; ).

Of course, we will have to see what the weather has in store for us - the current forecast looks like there will be quite a few melt days coming up.

When: March 5th and 6th

What: Bowman Lake Snow Run (MORG)  - overnight camping for folks that wish.

Where: Bowman Lake 

Things to know:

•  Roads are unpaved fire roads mostly - be prepared for snow coverage.
  • Winter Camping - It may be cold!! Come prepared. Even if you are not planning on spending the night make sure cold weather gear is packed just in case...
  • This is a MORG - all Rover owners and all vehicle models are welcome to join! If you have a friend that is a rover-head and wants to get a taste for the NCLR club life this would be a good trip. 
  • Please feel free to reach out with any questions.

Lastly - I've attached MVUM maps for Yuba Ranger District South and a rough GPX track. 

For anyone that wants to do even more reading a few applicable 7.5 minute maps:

• Washington
  • Graniteville
  • Alleghany
  • English Mountain

Looking forward to the trip!

nevada-city-to-bowman-lake.gpx Yuba ranger district MVUM south, back.pdf Yuba ranger district MVUM, front (bowman Lake area).pdf

What is the camping situation going to be? 

Dispersed camping on the snow. It hasn’t been super cold the last few trips but always pack for very cold weather. A really good mattress makes tent camping on the snow quite comfortable. Hand warmers are a very good investment. Throw a few in the sleeping bag and you will be toasty.

I’ll be coming along with Jason, BTW. I’ll have the RTT like last year, but comfortably camped in a ground tent a month or so ago.

We usually meet at the small car park right next to the 76 gas station. The Staples address in the trip description is just behind the neighbouring burger place and we will look out for anyone heading there.

Camping condition from the 2021 trip. This is where I got stuck the night before and this is where we camped.

This event was also notable for being one of the very few times where 4x Maxtrax actually came to the rescue in getting me out. I’ve carried them ever since. They were also useful to avoid my ladder sinking into the snow.

5e3f7a7f45ea625bf2ea9dac0c3550fa.jpg

5 hours ago, CRYA said:

Wish we could make it and put into practice everything I learned a few weeks ago on Bald Mountain but we've got some Cub Scout camping on the agenda! BB guns and archery😁, but no wheeling :(

Scout camping is cool, especially with archery! I did BSA snow camping with my kids last weekend at Hi-Sierra camp. So we had a chance to test our sleeping gear close to 10F. Now we should be ready for Bowman. Looks like it will not be warm.

Edited by SDS

2 hours ago, SDS said:

Scout camping is cool, especially with archery! I did BSA snow camping with my kids last weekend at Hi-Sierra camp. So we had a chance to test our sleeping gear close to 10F. Now we should be ready for Bowman. Looks like it will not be warm.

Scout camp was fun! There used to be a jet-ski class at our local BSA Camp Cedars (Midwest council) - Unfortunately our troop may or may not have led to that class' closure due to "risk mitigation measures" 😕

To make up for it, years later I matured, and entered myself as an indentured servant teaching First Aid and Rifle Merit Badge.

It’s about an hour from the main starting point in Auburn to Washington CA. Since I’m coming from Reno I’ll plan on meeting the group in Washington at 11:00-11:15 like the last trip. Really hoping the side-by-sides are somewhere else this weekend!

Mike F

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm heart broken to say but Julia and I had some soar throats yesterday so on the side of caution we took the big test and unfortunately the Mattson family is part of the numbers now. So rather then causing the super spread we will have to miss this one. We're definitely bummed as can be and will probably go camp in the back yard with all of Coopers toy rovers and pretend we're up there. I wish we could go but I hope everyone has a great trip and get stuck a couple of times for me.