Driveline work recommendations?

My ‘88 Range Rover seems to be leaking from every possible place in the driveline and the transfer case/diff whine has been getting progressively worse over the last couple months.  I took into a LR specialty shop for an inspection and quote and it came back alarming high.  They don’t do rebuilds themselves so between the cost of ordering a refurbished transfer case and differentials and bay area labour hourly rates, the quote came to nearly what I paid for the entire truck....

Does anyone have any recommendations for a shop in the bay area that can do driveline rebuilds or at least has reasonable rates for installing refurbished units?  Or does anyone know where I can look locally for a known good transfer case and differentials to take to a shop?

Fixing a leak and rebuilding a diff / tcase are two very different jobs. Plus, fixing leaks can also be totally different jobs depending on the leak. Slapping fresh rtv around your diff is a lot easier than fixing a leaky pinion. Determining the source of the whine and figuring out what exactly is leaking and needs to be repaired will really help when determining whether you are getting a fair price or not. You might be getting a good deal if all your gears are cooked from losing too much gear oil, that won’t be cheap anywhere. Do you have proper diagnosis from the shop or the written estimate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixing a leak and rebuilding a diff / tcase are two very different jobs. Plus, fixing leaks can also be totally different jobs depending on the leak. Slapping fresh rtv around your diff is a lot easier than fixing a leaky pinion. Determining the source of the whine and figuring out what exactly is leaking and needs to be repaired will really help when determining whether you are getting a fair price or not. You might be getting a good deal if all your gears are cooked from losing too much gear oil, that won’t be cheap anywhere. Do you have proper diagnosis from the shop or the written estimate?

Agreed that they are two different things but I think it’s more so that the shop didn’t want to just reseal the cases if they still required more attention than that. As for diagnosis, they noted “severe slop†in the transfer case (input and output) and of course the loud gear whine when driving. They also noted noise and slop in the front and rear diff pinions but those don’t seem as severe.

I’m leaning towards just finding a shop the specializes in gearboxes (not necessarily Land Rover specific) and see what they say.

Edited by aaronj_lang

Does that have the lt230 transfer case? Can't remember when they switched to the Borg Warner version.

Eric is right, we need more details on what is actually going on.

Rovers always leak, anything specific an issue?

Does that have the lt230 transfer case? Can't remember when they switched to the Borg Warner version.

Eric is right, we need more details on what is actually going on.

Rovers always leak, anything specific an issue?

This got bumped down the priority list after my fan clutch just grenaded itself 🤦â€â™‚ï¸

Yes, it’s an LT230 and the leak is fairly severe. Unclear whether it’s coming from the sump or somewhere else. The amount of troubleshooting that I can do is somewhat limited since I don’t have a garage at the moment. I don’t disagree with the shop that this transfer case likely needs more than just a reseal because of the sloppiness and the whine at speed. Basically I’m just wondering if if there’s a spot in the Bay Area that will rebuild it for less that a refurbished unit (~2k just for the unit).