For October we skipped our regular MORG for our Annual Member Appreciation event.

The November MORG is approaching, however we have two trips scheduled for that saturday; Lost Coast and Pismo.  Given that we've got pretty good interest in both of these I think we're going to pass on November as well unless somebody is interested in putting something together.  Myself I'll be at the Pismo trip and won't be able to lead.

That puts us into December which is the begining of the rainy season when things become hit-or-miss.  At that point we'll have to play things by ear and see what comes up.

Also of note, we've had a request for a recovery clinic.  We've done these in the past as part of a MORG - is there interest in doing one again?  I can certainly set it up if there is.

I went to the last recovery clinic and learned a bit watching Don and Colin. And in past trip or two, I was able to participate in recovery (rig up a winch line, or redirect with snatch block, etc.) when a truck was stuck. That hand-on part really helped.

If possible, it would be good to have one or two basic hands-on exercises for those who want to try it after the “classroom†portion.

Personally, I would like to learn how to patch a tire. I have a kit, and knows in concept how it works ( look hella easy on YouTube -3minutes and air-tight)... but never tried it.

Don, I have some ideas and will ping you via PM.

I went to the last recovery clinic and learned a bit watching Don and Colin. And in past trip or two, I was able to participate in recovery (rig up a winch line, or redirect with snatch block, etc.) when a truck was stuck. That hand-on part really helped.

If possible, it would be good to have one or two basic hands-on exercises for those who want to try it after the “classroom†portion.

Personally, I would like to learn how to patch a tire. I have a kit, and knows in concept how it works ( look hella easy on YouTube -3minutes and air-tight)... but never tried it.

Don, I have some ideas and will ping you via PM.

Good idea. I suggest at the next MORG we drill some holes in Don's tires and see if we can get them patched.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Prairie city is a good option for December/January as there are obstacles to practice on and places to do instructions and have plenty of room. No steep hills like Frank raines with the rain to worry about but mud pits for Chad to get stuck in.

From there could visit out of bounds brewery's new pub or any other establishment in the area.

We did a Folsom lake in November last year or close to it I believe... another option.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Good idea. I suggest at the next MORG we drill some holes in Don's tires and see if we can get them patched.

No... we shouldn’t do that. I would prob never drive over a drill and bit while on trial.

Instead, we should put some practical & scientific data behind lower tire pressure does lower risk of tire puncture when off-roading.

Don’t you guys want to know at what tire pressure and how many passes over a bed of rusty nails, would tires on Dons truck take before they give out? All in the name of science. :D

Man, you turn your back on this group for 1 minute and they're suddenly plotting the death of your tires.

Didn't Chad just buy a couple spares off Erin?  Shouldn't we be sacrificing his tires?

Oh wait - this is all to HELP me.  I get it now!  You're just trying to provide the motivation I need to move up to 37s.  You guys are so thoughtful  :)

I'm paying attention though and I'll put a recovery clinic together.  We can also do tire patching, but perhaps at a later time.  I have ideas about how to make the recovery clinic a little better than last year.  And Folsom might not be a bad location.  Still, we're probably looking at January realistically.

Has there been a clinic / demonstration dealing with tire beads? I've never lost a bead on trail and haven't been with anyone who has, but it seems to be a common fear preventing some from airing down enough to reap the full benefits of traction. At last years annual, it was really interesting to see the tipping point on a stock disco. It would be cool to see what it takes to lose a bead on a common offroad tire. Reseating the bead would also be interesting and entertaining to watch. I know there are a few different ways to do it and it would be cool to compare how effective they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has there been a clinic / demonstration dealing with tire beads? I've never lost a bead on trail and haven't been with anyone who has, but it seems to be a common fear preventing some from airing down enough to reap the full benefits of traction. At last years annual, it was really interesting to see the tipping point on a stock disco. It would be cool to see what it takes to lose a bead on a common offroad tire. Reseating the bead would also be interesting and entertaining to watch. I know there are a few different ways to do it and it would be cool to compare how effective they are.

Interestingly a couple years ago at what was called the Annual then, Bill Burke was the guest.  He attempted to show us how to break the bead of a tire mounted on a set of stock 3 spoke RRC rims.

With high lift positioned correctly, he reached the point of concern for tipping over his 90 before the bead would come loose.    So, this would be a very interesting discussion/demonstration.  Stock rims vs steelies would be a cool thing to see too.

Man, you turn your back on this group for 1 minute and they're suddenly plotting the death of your tires.

Didn't Chad just buy a couple spares off Erin? Shouldn't we be sacrificing his tires?

Oh wait - this is all to HELP me. I get it now! You're just trying to provide the motivation I need to move up to 37s. You guys are so thoughtful :)

I'm paying attention though and I'll put a recovery clinic together. We can also do tire patching, but perhaps at a later time. I have ideas about how to make the recovery clinic a little better than last year. And Folsom might not be a bad location. Still, we're probably looking at January realistically.

Actually, I probably do have some other tires floating around that could be used for abuse/testing/demonstration but they're not compatible with Rovers. I'll check and confirm.

I've lost one, due to my own stupidity. Just me and a buddy, only in my vehicle, so we had to figure it out. With 33" Procomp load Ds on 16" wheels, the sidewalls were large and soft so it wasn't too difficult. I'm not sure I could do it with my current 32" load Es on 18s.

Anyway, I got the tire close to the bead again, and then wrapped a ratchet strap around it and tightened it as much as I could to plump out the sidewall and create somewhat of a seal. Then used my underpowered compressor to force as much air in as I could until it seated fully.

In retrospect, it would've been faster just to swap in my spare.

Actually, I probably do have some other tires floating around that could be used for abuse/testing/demonstration but they're not compatible with Rovers. I'll check and confirm.I've lost one, due to my own stupidity. Just me and a buddy, only in my vehicle, so we had to figure it out. With 33" Procomp load Ds on 16" wheels, the sidewalls were large and soft so it wasn't too difficult. I'm not sure I could do it with my current 32" load Es on 18s.

Anyway, I got the tire close to the bead again, and then wrapped a ratchet strap around it and tightened it as much as I could to plump out the sidewall and create somewhat of a seal. Then used my underpowered compressor to force as much air in as I could until it seated fully.

In retrospect, it would've been faster just to swap in my spare.

Yes, usually faster to swap a spare but let's assume you've done as a a few of us have over the years (Graeme on Fordyce, Colin on the snow run last year, Rupert...) and lost 2 or more tires.  Then reseating the bead can be needed.

I can make add this as part of a MORG.   We can sort out the details before hand but it's doable.

Or! Make a demo of using some flammable liquid, like WD40, inside the tire and light a fire to it to seat the bead. I’ve seen a few vids on YouTube, but always thought it was just movie magic. ;)

Oh, and that one time on CarTalk where they said you can remove a spark plug (iirc), run an air hose from it to the valve steam. Start the engine and it’ll fill up with air quickly!

These can be lower on the priority list. :)

Or! Make a demo of using some flammable liquid, like WD40, inside the tire and light a fire to it to seat the bead. I’ve seen a few vids on YouTube, but always thought it was just movie magic. ;)

Oh, and that one time on CarTalk where they said you can remove a spark plug (iirc), run an air hose from it to the valve steam. Start the engine and it’ll fill up with air quickly!

These can be lower on the priority list. :)

Actually you could hollow out a spark plug and install a check valve and indeed the engine could serve as an air pump.  That is is basic function after all.

I think I'll still settle for my electric pump though.  Heck on a modern rover it would probably freak out if you ran it with one plug missing and then not only would you have a flat but you'd need a computer re-boot too!  :)

As for the WD40 trick, I've done it and it will work, though I can't make it work every time.  Maybe I'll practice up and do it as a demo just for fun. 

(do as I say, not as I do  :)  )

I hear starting fluid works pretty good

Actually yes.

And you don't need much.  I've tried the 'hmmm....that didn't work - must need more fuel!' approach.  Just set the tire on fire... :)

Luckily that was a small tire and the wheel wasn't on a vehicle at the time!

I have everything needed for what has been discussed for Tire Tech (practice tire for plugging, plug kit, breaking the bead, and reseating one). I covered all of this and more with Erin and Alyson over the past year to help prep them for the Rebelle Rally.

It really depends on how many people show up and where it is. A more open area would be better. For the RR training, we did it at Hollister in the Adventure Track course. The problem was having open access for everyone in the park. When doing some winching with a pulley block, someone actually drove right behind Alyson's bumper and INTO the winch cable. He almost got it caught under his front tire as I was running up yelling to stop and giving him the STOP hand signals. The rear end of Alyson's truck dipped about 1' under the added load of the vehicle. He didn't know what I was saying until I was about 10' away from him.

I texted Don this afternoon about some preliminary plans for the Jan. MORG. I'm doing "woofer" WFR (Wilderness First Responder) training during the weekends until 11/19 and won't have much time to work out the details for Jan until Thanksgiving. As we get closer, it would make things easier to get an accurate headcount of who will be going and what will be covered. The day would go back and forth between classroom theory and practical hands on with the equipment.

Archived