August MORG

It's almost that time - next Saturday (Aug 5th) will be the first saturday of the month.  And you know what that means!

MORG MORG MORG!

Yes, our much loved Monthly Off Road Gathering is once again upon us.  A time to gather together, admire each other's rigs and secretly covet other guys' newest farkle, test out your latest improvements, hone your driving chops, and generally immerse yourself in all things Land Rover.

July's MORG was in the Great State of Jefferson, so for August we return to the South and our roots.  Namely Hollister Hills SVRA.  As per convention, we will meet at 10:00 at the ranger station before heading out onto the trails.  Given the extremely poor cell reception in the area we will be monitoring 146.460.

I realize this is the day before the Sierra Trek kicks off but hey, if I can do both so can you!

See You There!

Heck, I'm driving 2 different vehicles so I have double the work!  Especially as I haven't yet set the D1 up with all it's own stuff yet so I have to switch some gear between them.

Don and Friends:

Plan to be there Saturnday: totally stock 2013 LR4 still. Think we'll see any Disco 5s? I'm guessing that is a long time coming.

PS: I am planning a Death Valley trip in November with a Jeep friend. If you have any advice for me, let me know. In particular, do you think a stock LR4 can squeeze through Dedeckera Canyon, Echo Canyon east of Inyo Mine, and maybe even Pleasant Canyon? Tires are an issue: all-season street tires (not even all terrain)(but 2 spares just in case). 

Don and Friends:

Plan to be there Saturnday: totally stock 2013 LR4 still. Think we'll see any Disco 5s? I'm guessing that is a long time coming.

PS: I am planning a Death Valley trip in November with a Jeep friend. If you have any advice for me, let me know. In particular, do you think a stock LR4 can squeeze through Dedeckera Canyon, Echo Canyon east of Inyo Mine, and maybe even Pleasant Canyon? Tires are an issue: all-season street tires (not even all terrain)(but 2 spares just in case).

There were two trips this year during April, check those threads and connect with the trip leaders...they'd have the best advice for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I say this every time, I'd love to come but I can't. We have Rebelle Rally training this weekend. Have fun everyone!

For a long time I thought this "Rebelle Rally" was an off-road rally event for which practice would be, well, going off-road.  I just Googled it and found out that it is in fact a dive bar in San Jose ....

I guess you need to practice those Disco moves ....

Graeme

Graeme, I'm getting the feeling from my wife that I would be wise to forego spending the night at hollister in favor of sticking close to home to help take care of son #2 (16 days old today) so she can get some sleep. She's usually right about these things.

But, Son #1 and i will definitely come out and roll around with all of you in the morning. See you folks at the ranger station at 10.

Graeme, I'm getting the feeling from my wife that I would be wise to forego spending the night at hollister in favor of sticking close to home to help take care of son #2 (16 days old today) so she can get some sleep. She's usually right about these things.

But, Son #1 and i will definitely come out and roll around with all of you in the morning. See you folks at the ranger station at 10.

16 days old? You need to stay at home ...!

See you tomorrow.

Regards,

Graeme

I am going.  This is my first off road trip, a total newbie.  Can someone guide me along so I won't fall off the cliff or into the ditch?

Thanks,

Julian

Not to worry.  I hear Colin is coming.  Just do whatever he does.  :)

It's OK - we're happy to have everything from totally stock to fully built rigs at the MORGs.  First timers or old farts, everybody is welcome.

I am going. This is my first off road trip, a total newbie. Can someone guide me along so I won't fall off the cliff or into the ditch?

Thanks,

Julian

We can help you do that ....

10:00am at the Ranger Station to meet Don. Or before that at the Old Obstacle Course (then there again until at least 11:00am).

Enter north ranch at School House. Take first major right turn (not the little turn into the 'pond'). Straight on at the right turn, straight and down a slight drop at the top of the hill (where the road bends left). Old Obstacle Course is then over to the right by about 100 yards, just past the bathrooms.

146.460 for amateur radio, if you have it.

Graeme

Archived