2017 Sierra Trek and White Rock Lake/Meteor Shower Trip Official Thread

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you again Chris for organizing such a great looking trip!! My wife is going to be able to make it and given her schedule we will shoot up first thing Thursday morning and meet you at white Rock lake and then we'll stay through to Saturday. So hopefully we'll get to catch up with both groups that way.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Can someone tell me where to go next Friday for meteor lakes only part? Also any map files or areas I should have for Avenza or other app appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris posted the Gaia map in post #44 for Truckee to White Rock Lake.

I think the route is the same as if you google maps from Truckee to WRL. 

Chris posted the Gaia map in post #44 for Truckee to White Rock Lake.

I think the route is the same as if you google maps from Truckee to WRL. 

DO NOT FOLLOW GOOGLE MAPS TO WHITE ROCK LAKE

If you try to follow the standard route Google provides it runs you through some pretty tight nasty stuff.  I've been through it plenty of times but I don't recommend it as the 'normal' way to get there - lots of pin striping, water crossings, etc.  In fact, it may not even be passable this year (though I plan to find out).  We've had problems with this every year - somebody doesn't follow the posted route and just tries to google it only to get turned around and lost.

Here is a google link showing the 'correct' route to WRL if you don't have access to Gaia or a similar mapping software.  Keep in mind, there is little or no cell service once you leave Truckee so if you're trying to follow your phone you'll need to download the maps in advance.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Truckee,+CA+96161/39.4189008,-120.3894143/@39.4775907,-120.4319155,13.57z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m15!1m1!1s0x809bdfec3c4e8dd7:0x6d172f88c134fcc9!2m2!1d-120.1832533!2d39.327962!3m4!1m2!1d-120.4280083!2d39.4969183!3s0x809bf153d999ce05:0x22544015a08b4da4!3m4!1m2!1d-120.4412466!2d39.4610684!3s0x809bf22b88e444cb:0x6a0aeca191be2eff!1m0!3e0

DO NOT FOLLOW GOOGLE MAPS TO WHITE ROCK LAKE

.....In fact, it may not even be passable this year (though I plan to find out).  We've had problems with this every year - somebody doesn't follow the posted route and just tries to google it only to get turned around and lost.....

Don,

All I can say is, "Keep your radio on " .... someone might arrive after nightfall ....

Graeme

Don,

All I can say is, "Keep your radio on " .... someone might arrive after nightfall ....

Graeme

Oh, we've played that game....

Anybody from NCLR?  I'm trying to find camp

where are you?

Uh, I turned right

Right?  On which trail?  The first one?

Uh, yeah...I think it was the first one.

OK, we'll come find you  (drives for a while).... I should have passed you already - are you sure you took the first right?

uh...maybe?

(groan)

Can you turn around and go back to the main road?

uh, no...it's too narrow

Did you got up a big hill?  Or maybe cross a bridge?

Uh, I went up a hill, but I didn't see a bridge

OK, I'll try to find you.  Hang on.  (drives some more)

Of course, you should assume barely audible scratchy radio connections while doing this.  It's loads of fun!

Is there anyone going up Friday afternoon I can tag along with? I don't feel safe driving this alone and i'm very new to this stuff and have 2 young kids with me, one from Europe visiting I'd like to avoid having a bad experience with. If anyone plans to be in Truckee in the afternoon and wouldn't mind a tag along please let me know. 

I have a 3.5 hr drive from Pacifica and plan to leave around noon Friday.

It's pretty easy to get there, the only trouble we've had is people trying to follow Google as it runs you down a pretty tight track instead of the main road.  I'm sure somebody will be coming in that you can follow though if you like.

We'll have radios on 146.460, but with the mountains the range is limited.  Better than nothing though!

I'll be marking the turn offs starting around Webber lake on Henness Pass rd and then on Meadow Lake Road including all the turns into the lake on Thursday as the expedition group rolls in. Look for the safety orange NCLR trail flags (or other signs w NCLR on them). There is spotty cell reception at the lake but you can text me from truckee to let me know when you are leaving. If you aren't there 60-90 min later we will send out the search party. My wife made a wrong turn last year (my fault) and ended up on the "Don trail". She had only been off road twice before and on fire roads. She did great.

Chris

209-423-3888

Great thanks. I also have a radio and will be in the frequency posted here.

Post #84, our go to channel.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Can everyone running the expedition part let me know where you'll be meeting the group please? I want to make sure we don't leave anyone behind. Starbucks in Livermore or In-N-Out in Yuba City. Thanks.

hi. I'll meet up with you in yuba city

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I will be leaving the In n Out on Sunrise / Hwy 50 Saturday morning about 7 30 AM if anyone planning on Going up Saturday wants to caravan up. 

Wife is bailing with the daughter to finish her swim classes, so it will be just me and my boy. I'll bring two extra Kayaks for anyone else interested in using em. 

Thanks again Chris for putting this together. 

Is there anyone going up Friday afternoon I can tag along with? I don't feel safe driving this alone and i'm very new to this stuff and have 2 young kids with me, one from Europe visiting I'd like to avoid having a bad experience with. If anyone plans to be in Truckee in the afternoon and wouldn't mind a tag along please let me know. 

I have a 3.5 hr drive from Pacifica and plan to leave around noon Friday.

Jared might be going Friday morning or afternoon from the Bay Area (August 11 for the WRL portion.)  Let me check with him. 

For those coming into WRL after Thursday afternoon these will be the trail markers you are looking for. When I run out of flags I put up the green arrows which have smaller glow in the dark arrows attached. c1e2b15e067d73c1d145e39d267a611a.jpg710246b09dde67b1b165ed622dbcf997.jpg

Good to see that you've even thought of Colin while making those signs.

Regards,

Graeme

Can everyone running the expedition part let me know where you'll be meeting the group please? I want to make sure we don't leave anyone behind. Starbucks in Livermore or In-N-Out in Yuba City. Thanks.

I'll be caravaning up with Don...

Archived