2017 Sierra Trek and White Rock Lake/Meteor Shower Trip Official Thread

hi.

before i complete confirm the sierra trek, one question:

to do both the trek and the meteor shower gazing, are we packing for a full week out? or after the trek, we are heading into truckee to get provisions?

plmk :-)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi.

to do both the trek and the meteor shower gazing, are we packing for a full week out? or after the trek, we are heading into truckee to get provisions?

someone mentioned we'll be hunting & gathering acorns for food that week?  ;) 

hi.

Pack for the whole week, but it's not a problem to run down to Truckee for more stuff for the weekend if you like.  It's about an hour from White Rock Lake to Truckee.  I usually make it there at least once during the weekend if only to get wifi and check messages.

The road to WRL is very accessible and you should have no trouble getting the trailer there.  Most of it is just gravel road; only the last bit is anything more than that and it's still very easy.

And I don't think anybody will complain about your trailer.  You wouldn't be the first to bring one - I seem to recall Sean and Rupert have both brought trailers on the full Trek in the past.

Could I pull my 14.5ft single axle camping trailer up to WRL? It has been lifted (axle flip). There is another question here: would it be considered acceptable to do this with all you diehards sleeping on the ground?

Just push it way back into a corner -- looks like it's going to be a massive group this year.  You're towing that thing with the LR2, right?

I'm starting to wonder if I should roll in on Wednesday...  B)

Pack for the whole week, but it's not a problem to run down to Truckee for more stuff for the weekend if you like.  It's about an hour from White Rock Lake to Truckee.  I usually make it there at least once during the weekend if only to get wifi and check messages.

ok cool. will be a true test of my new yeti :-)

so,then, go ahead and count me in for both trips! 

I may have 3 friends join our meteor camp spot - they shipped their motorcycles down to L.A from Toronto and are working their way up towards Oregon and then across the US Rockies. I mentioned our run up into Yosemite areas the meteor weekend and they may tag along. They're riding vintage BMW's and ads Canadian, what's not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I may have 3 friends join our meteor camp spot - they shipped their motorcycles down to L.A from Toronto and are working their way up towards Oregon and then across the US Rockies. I mentioned our run up into Yosemite areas the meteor weekend and they may tag along. They're riding vintage BMW's and ads Canadian, what's not to like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they come, they have to pay tribute.

I'll accept only the finest Canadian Maple syrup!

I've updated the participant list on the first post, please check to confirm it is accurate.  

Here is a rough plan for the week and the rally points and times.

Sunday 8/6/17 meet at the Starbucks on South Vasco and 580 in Livermore at 0830 with wheels up at 0900 for Yuba City.  Arrive at the In-N-Out in Yuba City between 1115-1130.  Wheels up from In-N-Out at 1230 and head for Potosi graveyard.

Monday 8/7/17 Route will depend on what the group wants.  There are a few options, i'll try to post them before the trip.

Tuesday 8/8/17 Plan to end up at Tamarack Lakes for 2 nights

Wednesday 8/9/17 Layover day at Tamarack Lakes.  Last year we took a nice half day trip up to the Buttes and had lunch up there then some people took off in search of trails while others dealt with some tire issues and then hit up the Sand Pond for the kids.  It's a nice little shallow pond near Sardine lakes.  This year, we may want to take the 4x4 trail to the upper Sardine lake.

Thursday 8/10/17 Head for White Rock Lake.  There is a little general store in Bassett's 20 minutes or so out from Tamarack Lakes.  It isn't really well stocked and fuel is hit or miss but they have some food and drinks available.  Usually to WRL by early afternoon.

Friday- Sunday White Rock Lake to do as you please.  There are always day trips to explore the trails.  Some have hiked up Mt Lola, others just sit by the lake and hang out. there is decent fishing and rafts, inflatables, etc are nice option here.  We can have campfires here per the BLM ranger we met a few years ago as long as the fire pits are there so bring firewood.  

Bought fuel in Basset on the Gold Lake trip - no problem, but only one pump.  Also a pay-at-the-pump 24hr in Sierra City a few miles west.  It's easy to miss since it's so small but on the south side of 49 in town.

Count me in for WRL coming up Friday morning.

Ted, Cara, Ella (10), JT(8), Liam(7)

P38 and LR3 possibly towing M1101 trailer depending on toys/gear we bring.

I will bring Enrique's Wraptor 2500 awning. 

Anyone else interested in OverlandPros gear, let me know and I can bring it up. Our tents are awesome! www.overlandpros.com

Anyonr have the Gaia app that can send me the file so i can map it in google? I may get to come for the weekend.

Sent it via email... it's the route from Truckee to WRL... hope that's what you were looking for.

Archived