2017 Sierra Trek and White Rock Lake/Meteor Shower Trip Official Thread

OFFICIAL Sierra Trek August 6-11 2017 (Ending at White Rock Lake)

This is the 5th running of NCLR's Sierra Trek and should be interesting to say the least. With unknown trail conditions, Don wanting to go off "exploring", and the usual trail fun I am expecting the unexpected.

I haven't sorted out the route due to the constant updating of trail closures/openings. This might be more of a true expedition with an unplanned route and only a destination! Make sure to bring spare fuel, at least 5 gallons but 10 might be better. There may be a fair amount of backtracking. The basic plan will be drive Sunday and Monday to get into the hills and then basecamp Tuesday for the families. Then drive Wednesday and half day Thursday to get to White Rock Lake by early afternoon.

Can everyone who is planning on going to either of the trips post up here so I can keep track? I'd like to keep the Sierra Trek to 8 trucks but we will see how many people will plan to join Don on his excursions, might be able to allow for more rigs.

Sierra Trek (updated 7/27/17)

1. Chris and Roxson (El Solis)

2. Greg (Jethro)

3. Don (DHappel)

4. Chris (lithium1330)

5. Lauro (lauroness)

6. Alan (AlanB)

7. Nick (ndamico)

8. Drew (Volkov)

9. Jeanne (girlrvr)

10. Andrew

11. Rob (robg)?? (Tracy for the weekend not sure if you were in for the week in your Defender)

OFFICIAL Meteor Shower Trip August 11-13, 2017 (Truckee Area)

What: A weekend trip to the Sierras to watch rocks fall out of the sky

When: August 11-13, 2017(non negotiable: don't get mad at me, I'm not responsible for when the parent comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle flies by. Lucky for us though, the peak of the shower is predicted for 8/12 and historically the days before this are awesome

Where: White Rock Lake, 17 miles north of Truckee on Hwy 89, then less than 2 hours off road.

Who: everyone. this is a family oriented trip.

What to expect: The drive into the lake is suitable for all stock rovers. There are many ways in from 90 minutes to 4-5 hours depending on which route you chose. Once at the lake there is tons to do: fishing, swimming, hiking, wheeling (there are trails from the lake to Nevada City off Hwy 20).

Route: Hwy 80 to Truckee, then Hwy 89 North for about 17miles then turn on to Jackson Meadow Road and then Right turn on Henness Pass Rd then Right on Meadow lake road then the spur to White Rock Lake.

Basic Itinerary

Friday 8/11/17: As there will be a group with me doing the Sierra Expedition Trip, Friday you are on your own to get to camp. It’s easy and I have the routes for you.

Saturday 8/12/17: spend the day doing whatever you want from the activities listed above or what makes you happy and is legal and not offensive to the general population. There are a ton of trails. Saturday night we can do propane campfires, so bring them if you have them, and then settle in for some sky watching.

Sunday 8/13/17: breakfast on your own and break camp. usually back to Livermore by early afternoon.

Link to Route from Truckee to White Rock Lake will be here eventually ;)

White Rock Lake

1. Kylie and Shawnery LR4

2. Justin

There is no cap to this part of the trip!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely planning on the trip and looking to bring the family. Not sure which truck will depend on family input.

Looking forward to it as I missed last year.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I'm hoping to run a parallel trip that will have same camp spots but may take a different route to get there.  Of course I haven't actually done any planning on this yet so it may not happen quite that way but at the least I'll expect to head out for some trail running on the base-camp days.

Not sure which rig I'll be in yet - it will depend on how adventurous I want to make the trail runs.

I miss this every year, and for the week trip, life remains consistant. However, I have put on the calendar the weekend and will see what I can do to attend AND drag a kid or two with me at least.

Oh man. I miss the expedition part every year on this great event. Put RedRover down for the White Rock Lake part and I'm going to check if I can make it to the expedition.

Chris we will be there. Might bring both classics too. Not sure about white rock. Also i dont mind splintering off with a few rigs if some want to move at a faster pace so we can get to camp and let the kids play.

I'd be open to following Don as well depending on the day and the family's interest.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OFFICIAL Sierra Trek August 6-11 2017 (Ending at White Rock Lake)

This is the 5th running of NCLR's Sierra Trek and should be interesting to say the least. With unknown trail conditions, Don wanting to go off "exploring", and the usual trail fun I am expecting the unexpected.

I haven't sorted out the route due to the constant updating of trail closures/openings. This might be more of a true expedition with an unplanned route and only a destination! Make sure to bring spare fuel, at least 5 gallons but 10 might be better. There may be a fair amount of backtracking. The basic plan will be drive Sunday and Monday to get into the hills and then basecamp Tuesday for the families. Then drive Wednesday and half day Thursday to get to White Rock Lake by early afternoon.

Can everyone who is planning on going to either of the trips post up here so I can keep track? I'd like to keep the Sierra Trek to 8 trucks but we will see how many people will plan to join Don on his excursions, might be able to allow for more rigs.

Sierra Trek

1. Chris and Roxson CT110

2. Will (I presume you are planning on the expedition part)

3. Greg

4. Don

5. Chris

6. Lauro

7. Alan

Wait List

OFFICIAL Meteor Shower Trip August 11-13, 2017 (Truckee Area)

What: A weekend trip to the Sierras to watch rocks fall out of the sky

When: August 11-13, 2017(non negotiable: don't get mad at me, I'm not responsible for when the parent comet 109P/Swift-Tuttle flies by. Lucky for us though, the peak of the shower is predicted for 8/12 and historically the days before this are awesome

Where: White Rock Lake, 17 miles north of Truckee on Hwy 89, then less than 2 hours off road.

Who: everyone. this is a family oriented trip.

What to expect: The drive into the lake is suitable for all stock rovers. There are many ways in from 90 minutes to 4-5 hours depending on which route you chose. Once at the lake there is tons to do: fishing, swimming, hiking, wheeling (there are trails from the lake to Nevada City off Hwy 20).

Route: Hwy 80 to Truckee, then Hwy 89 North for about 17miles then turn on to Jackson Meadow Road and then Right turn on Henness Pass Rd then Right on Meadow lake road then the spur to White Rock Lake.

Basic Itinerary

Friday 8/11/17: As there will be a group with me doing the Sierra Expedition Trip, Friday you are on your own to get to camp. It’s easy and I have the routes for you.

Saturday 8/12/17: spend the day doing whatever you want from the activities listed above or what makes you happy and is legal and not offensive to the general population. There are a ton of trails. Saturday night we can do propane campfires, so bring them if you have them, and then settle in for some sky watching.

Sunday 8/13/17: breakfast on your own and break camp. usually back to Livermore by early afternoon.

Link to Route from Truckee to White Rock Lake will be here eventually ;)

White Rock Lake

1. Kylie and Shawnery LR4

2. Justin

There is no cap to this part of the trip!

I am going to try to make the weekend White Rock Lake trip  2 adults....

Archived