2011 LR4 LUX

Hi all,

i just bought a 2011 LR4.  Is been long in the planning and finally pulled the trigger on one.   I am looking forward to taking out on the trail. 

Since this is the LUX model I think it comes with 20 inch wheels and not sure how they will hold off road.  Would 18 in wheels from an LR3 fit an LR4? 

Some of the first mods i plan to do to  it is get smaller wheels so i can get a better set of off road tires and installed some rock sliders.  Is there a vendor you guys recommend for the rock sliders.  

Anyway, look forward to see you guys out on the trail. 

https://antonioanguiano.smugmug.com/Hobbies/LR4-PICTURES/n-5hqHp3/i-MdPF4s7/A

Thanks

It will never be that shiney again.  :)

Great to hear you're back and look forward to seeing you on the trail again.  The LR4 looks great!

On wheels/tires, there are some options out there for 20" tires.  I think the Cooper Zeon is your best bet from what I've read.  It's pretty good on and off road.  Pretty sure that's what Chris has on their LR4 and he's put quite a few trail miles on it with no tire problems.  With a low profile tire like that you won't air it down the way you would a traditional rig so you'll have a learning curve there to find what works but it does work.  I'm not sure what tire sizes are popular with the 20" wheel.

For smaller wheels you have a couple choices.  You can run LR3 18" wheels with a spacer (Erin went this route on her LR4).  I think Nils still has a set of 18s for sale at a good price.  Or you can go Compomotive (Will and David went this route) which is a little higher cost but doesn't require searching for used wheels.  With either, a good AT tire like the BFG KO2 or Cooper ST-Maxx and AT/3 seem to be best suited to these rigs.  265/65-18 is the easiest size.  You can fit 275/65-18 but it will require a bit more work.  With either, you may need to re-route the aluminum heater lines behind the passenger rear inner fender liner.  It's not that big a job and I'd be glad to help you.

For sliders, I'm a fan of Tactical Rovers.  They're plenty strong, still look good for a late model daily driver, and run all the way inboard to the frame rails so they protect the compressor and act as skidplates.  They can be a little finicky the first time you install them but it's not bad.  I've had mine on and off so many times I can do it pretty quickly.  

So break out the Visa, order up a bunch of stuff, throw it all in the back of the rig and drive up here to my place some weekend and we'll get you dialed in!

Well, I guess Nils does still have some wheels available - he posted while I was typing.

Also, why don't you bring that new rig over to the peninsula thursday for the DitD so we can check it out?  Michele and I will be there and haven't seen you in a while.

Hi, 

Thanks Don for offering some suggestions and help.   The car came with brand new Perelli Scorpion Verde all season tires.  I might keep the tires and wheels for a while and see how they hold.  

I will look into getting body armor first.  I will get a set of  rock sliders first.  Once i get them, i might ask for your help since you are familiar how they go in and what is needed to modify. 

I might not be able to make to the DITD but i am sure, I will see in you in one of the MORG or one of the trips in the works.  

Congrats on the LR4! Looks to be a sweet ride, center & rear lockers too!

And given you'll be outfitting this truck using, as Don suggested, Visa... I'll just buy more shares of Visa stock. 

Not sure if it's coincidence, but it seems that stock always get a bump* each time a member posts about buying a truck. :D 

*Disclaimer: I am not a financial advisor and opinion are of my own. Always do your own research prior to making investment decisions.

Archived