March MORG?

Yes, planning for FR out in Paterson.  It's a really nice drive out there in the spring with the creeks running and everything green.  The only worry is that the park is snot-slick when it's muddy, and this year the weather is a crapshoot.

Are there last-minute alternatives to Frank Raines for those of us not up to mud slides? My stock LR4 might be OK, or might not, depending. Miners Road up to Livermore is nice in the Spring. Are there any trails or interesting dirt roads near it?

Hey all, new to the club and looking join one of these... Would Frank Raines be a good first outing for my still-stock LR4? Sounds like depending on how much rain we have leading up, the street tires may be no match for the mud there. 

Is there a "before your first MORG" sticky I should take a look at?

No problem bringing the LR4 - MORGS are generally tailored around anybody who turns up.  I recall a stock Disco sport turning up at a Frank Raines MORG last year - Anudeep had a blast with that thing!  

As for the conditions yes, it can be pretty darn slick out there in the rain but we can run different trails and accommodate everybody from stock to dedicated trail-rig.  

Let's just hope I figure out what's going on with my rig before then!  Looks like I'm not going to be home much between now and then to actually work on it so keeping my fingers crossed!  If not, I'll need one of you kind individuals to step up and lead this shindig.   I hear Erin is a big fan of the mud pits at FR.... :)

I don't think we have a MORG FAQ, but it's pretty basic.  They are always the first saturday of the month and normally start at 10:00 AM, running until late afternoon but with no defined end-time.  We move around to different areas since we have members scattered all over:  Frank Raines, Cow Mountain, Hollister, Folsom Lake, etc.  Frank Raines (as many places we visit) has virtually no cell reception but as a club we use HAM radio and will be monitoring 146.460.  I generally bring a few spare hand held radios along as loaners as well.  Often you'll find members coming from the same general area (say south bay or Sacramento) will pick a meeting point and caravan in together.  You should plan to bring lunch or at least some snacks since there's nothing at the park and we're typically out thru lunch, eating on the trail.  All rigs are welcome from box stock to fully built - the MORGs aren't crazy difficult and we welcome first timers to come out and see what we're about.  For your rig, all you need is a decent running vehicle and a willingness to get it dirty.  Stock recovery points are adequate in case you do get bogged and we have sufficient recovery gear to take care of anything we might encounter.  In general, MORGs aren't the time we go looking for the greatest challenge but more a time to spend a day having a little fun in the dirt and BS'ing with friends.

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen this weather?   Not a drop of rain in DAYS!   

I ordered this from the new Amazon Weather site.  Luckily I'm a Prime member so they were able to deliver on-time without extra costs.  :)

So who's going to make it out this weekend?

BTW, if anybody (cough, Chad, cough) is coming in from the east or north via I5 and Diable Grande/Sperry in Patterson let me know if you'd like to caravan in.  I'll plan to leave Patterson for the park around 9-ish.  We could meet at the Starbucks there if anybody wants to (cough, Chad, cough).

Anybody out that way (cough, Chad, cough) just let me know.

We have baseball starting so I'm likely to miss these for a few months. BTW did see the forest called for rain this weekend...

Have you seen this weather?   Not a drop of rain in DAYS!   

So who's going to make it out this weekend?

I'm planning on attending. Looking forward to meeting some of the club and down to caravan if anyone's coming from Oakland / East Bay!

What time is everyone meeting up at Frank Raines? Should I invest in a radio prior to the event? What time to the MORGs tend to go until?

BTW, if anybody (cough, Chad, cough) is coming in from the east or north via I5 and Diable Grande/Sperry in Patterson let me know if you'd like to caravan in. I'll plan to leave Patterson for the park around 9-ish. We could meet at the Starbucks there if anybody wants to (cough, Chad, cough).

Anybody out that way (cough, Chad, cough) just let me know.

Boy that snuck up on me. Would love to go, not sure yet if possible. I'll text you if so.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm planning on attending. Looking forward to meeting some of the club and down to caravan if anyone's coming from Oakland / East Bay!

What time is everyone meeting up at Frank Raines? Should I invest in a radio prior to the event? What time to the MORGs tend to go until?

MORGs start at 10:00 unless stated otherwise, like when we are going up to the Sierras or someplace 'unusual'.  

Typically they run until 3 or 4 (ish).  There isn't any set end time, it just sort of depends on what people feel like that day.  Sometimes it breaks up earlier and sometimes it run until dark.  It's very free-form. 

No need to run out and buy a radio - I'll have a hand held you can borrow to try out.  You'll want to get your licence - I suggest looking for a 'ham cram' in your area as they are the fastest/easiest way to get the legal stuff taken care of.  We are also planning to do a radio info session for the April MORG so you may want to hold off until radio guru RedRover drops some knowledge on us  :)

MORGs start at 10:00 unless stated otherwise, like when we are going up to the Sierras or someplace 'unusual'.

Typically they run until 3 or 4 (ish). There isn't any set end time, it just sort of depends on what people feel like that day. Sometimes it breaks up earlier and sometimes it run until dark. It's very free-form.

No need to run out and buy a radio - I'll have a hand held you can borrow to try out. You'll want to get your licence - I suggest looking for a 'ham cram' in your area as they are the fastest/easiest way to get the legal stuff taken care of. We are also planning to do a radio info session for the April MORG so you may want to hold off until radio guru RedRover drops some knowledge on us :)

Just was reading that friends of the Rubicon are offering up a ham cram. Looks like something they are trying to ever year before the summer season kicks off.

Not sure specific details but an option.

think you can find out the specific on that? id like to attend and get that taken care of. 

Don, where is the meeting point? i may need to grab a radio from you to use if i decide to go.

Bill, I'm in fairfield. you can find my number on the contact list. shoot me a message and we can caravan if i do go. ill probably decide tomorrow.

Meeting point is at the entrance at 10:00.  If you're late, you'd better have a good excuse - like you stopped to pick up donuts for everybody ort something of that nature  :)

I have a question for the greater San Jose contingent.

I was thinking about driving up there Saturday morning.

Apple Maps shows me having to go through Livermore.

Can't I just crossover on the 130 from Santa Clara?

I have a question for the greater San Jose contingent.

I was thinking about driving up there Saturday morning.

Apple Maps shows me having to go through Livermore.

Can't I just crossover on the 130 from Santa Clara?

Yes, you can and it's the best way especially if you enjoy windy roads and scenic views. I personally do, but some people get car sick so watch out. I see that part of 130 looks closed, so if you're coming up 101, take the Capital Expressway exit and head east. Turn right on Quimby Rd and follow that until it meets up with 130 so you miss the construction. Watch out for on coming cars that think they can drive in the middle of a the road and also cyclists, deer, sheep, goats and people walking on the road clueless that cars also use the road as well.

I would love to come, but due to some bad planning last year, I can't come this Saturday.

I will be able to attend April's MORG on 4/1 which is also April's Fool day.... Hopefully that won't mean those who attend April's MORG will be foolish for attending.

Archived