Official Death Valley trip (4-15)

Don.... you spilled the beans and told us you bought the topless D1 :D

That cat has been out of the bag for a while.  I had it on display at the wrenching day we did at my place a couple weeks ago and I brought it out to the MORG last Saturday.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Chuck, any update on the Bay area Friday departure time/route?

A couple people have asked where I'm going when I tell them about the trip.  My response:  I don't know - I'm just following Chuck.  :)

Yup, I'm officially out of this trip.

The shop called and said the block will get here in about 5 days,... and prob another couple days to install.

that won't give me time to break in engine nor prep for this trip.

Unfortunate series of events that totally tanked my spring trips.

Enjoy the trip!

Yup, I'm officially out of this trip.

The shop called and said the block will get here in about 5 days,... and prob another couple days to install.

that won't give me time to break in engine nor prep for this trip.

Unfortunate series of events that totally tanked my spring trips.

Enjoy the trip!

booooo.

Chris,

Feel your pain... But the the LAST thing you would want to do is drop a new engine in and burn out to the desert without at least TWO weeks of shake-down. Plus, the requisite break-in time. BTW -- did I miss something? Your truck seemed just about perfect on the Mojave Road trip. What happened?

Paul

I actually had a small coolant leak at Mojave. Truck ran fine on that trip, and I just made sure coolant was topped off. 

So, in prep for Baja trip, I took truck to shop to look at the leak...they said to replace head gasket.. and when the heads came off, they found 5 of the cylinder sleeves have gaps. So, here we are... 

Gonna miss this trip... but truck will be ready for next set of adventures. 

I actually had a small coolant leak at Mojave. Truck ran fine on that trip, and I just made sure coolant was topped off. 

So, in prep for Baja trip, I took truck to shop to look at the leak...they said to replace head gasket.. and when the heads came off, they found 5 of the cylinder sleeves have gaps. So, here we are... 

Gonna miss this trip... but truck will be ready for next set of adventures. 

Hold on.  Gaps?  So five had slipped liners, or are we talking about between the liner and the aluminum block there were gaps?

Regards,

Graeme

Hold on.  Gaps?  So five had slipped liners, or are we talking about between the liner and the aluminum block there were gaps?

Regards,

Graeme

The liners didn't slip or drop, but there are places with gaps in 5 of the 8 cylinders - between block and sleeve. 

FYI...  California is waiving park entrance fees to National Parks in CA between Apr 15 - 16, and 22 - 23. Including Death Valley. 

http://www.sfgate.com/outdoors/article/California-National-Parks-free-entry-april-11052640.php

Entrance fees to all 124 National Parks that normally charge for tickets will be waived on April 15-16 and 22-23 in honor of National Park Week. The California parks participating in the free day are:

Cabrillo National Monument
Death Valley National Park
Joshua Tree National Park
Lassen Volcanic National Park
Lava Beds National Monument
Muir Woods National Monument
Pinnacles National Park
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park
Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks
Whiskeytown National Recreation Area
Yosemite National Park

Could you post pictures?

Regards,

Graeme

Yes, I'm curios about this as well. I'm mean it's not like I'd blame you for using any excuse to upgrade to a 4.6 but interested to know what's going on there.

Yes, I'm curios about this as well. I'm mean it's not like I'd blame you for using any excuse to upgrade to a 4.6 but interested to know what's going on there.

I didn't take any pictures - supposed I should have. 

They did the block test and it was holding pressure... 

After that, the shop used gap measure blades slotted into 5 of the cylinders sleeves. The said they could pin it, but the sleeves will likely move/drop in the near future. 

Damn. Only the strong survive...! Still packing down here. Trying to line-up last minute to-do's involving plywood, batteries and random bits of plastic. You'll have to see it to believe it.

--Paul

I am thinking we will be leaving around 6am from our place. A good rally point might be Manteca, since we will be taking 108 over the Sonora Pass to 395. If google is right, we'd be there around 8am - which seems like a good time to stop for breakfast and a gas stop. So say we depart Manteca no later than 9am after breakfast there at 8am?

I am thinking we will be leaving around 6am from our place. A good rally point might be Manteca, since we will be taking 108 over the Sonora Pass to 395. If google is right, we'd be there around 8am - which seems like a good time to stop for breakfast and a gas stop. So say we depart Manteca no later than 9am after breakfast there at 8am?

That works for me.  Anybody else in the convoy from the bay area?

Chuck, we have a problem with SR 108

Current State Route 108 Conditions

Before driving, check with the Caltrans Highway Information Network (CHIN) 800.427.7623

SR 108
[iN THE CENTRAL CALIFORNIA AREA & SIERRA NEVADA]
IS CLOSED FROM 7.2 MI EAST OF STRAWBERRY TO 5.3 MI WEST OF THE
JCT OF US 395 /SONORA PASS/ (TUOLUMNE,MONO CO) - FOR THE WINTER -
MOTORISTS ARE ADVISED TO USE AN ALTERNATE ROUTE

CHAINS OR SNOW TIRES ARE REQUIRED FROM 7 MI EAST OF LONG BARN TO 7.2 MI
EAST OF STRAWBERRY (TUOLUMNE CO)

PLEASE RESEARCH CHAIN CONTROL LOCATIONS AS CALTRANS IS CURRENTLY WORKING TO
UPDATE CHAIN CONTROL DESCRIPTIONS FOR CONSISTENCY WITH INTERNET MAPPING,
LIKE GOOGLE MAPS & MAPQUEST.

[YOSEMITE NAT'L PARK]
FOR YOSEMITE NAT'L PARK ROAD INFORMATION CALL 209-372-0200