Official Death Valley trip (4-15)

The SLO group is very  lo tec on Comm's other than cell phone's we have nothing but our good old built in brain GPS's.  We plan to be @ the "springs" sunday night & waiting for you the next day doing a light exploration around Saline valley....couple of canyons we want to explore!  If we are somehow not there you will scrape us up on Dedeckra Canyon and Steel Pass :D .  

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chuck, I spoke with Sheriff over the weekend. We hope to be there with myself and 3 kids: Liam(7), JT(8), Ella (10) and Alan, Jill, Maeve(11) on Friday night. Hope to stay thru Sunday depending on how the kids are holding up as that will be 8 days in the backcountry without Mom.

Sheriff makes awesome dinner and breakfasts and its so nice not to have to cook after a week on the trail. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Gold Point!

I have uploaded our preliminary routes on Gaia GPS. Searching the website is tough, but you should be able to see them publicly here: https://www.gaiagps.com/profile/199742/spikemd/

At this point, NCLR will have at least FOUR RRC's on this trip, (TigerDan, SLOHybrid, Arthur & wife and me), so I just want to post-up to the group what I am planning on packing in terms of RRC / 4.2 engine spares:

-- Water pump (new)

-- Alternator (used, but good)

-- TWO matching pairs of used, but good, cap & rotor

-- All belts for a 4.2/3.9 (used but good)

-- Misc. relays (the yellow ones)

-- 90w, 20-50 motor oil (X6), 50/50 coolant, tranny/steering pump fluid.

-- Shop manual for 1990 --> 1994 RRC's

-- Spare idler pulley for alternator or A/C belts

I will leave the heavy stuff (axles, ring & pinions, etc.) to others.

As for tools, bringing the usual full set of sockets, spanners, hub nut socket, breaker bar and such.

Let's see what others are bringing, so we can plan accordingly. Of course, the old rule applies: If you bring it, you won't use it.

--Paul

...... so I just want to post-up to the group what I am planning on packing in terms of RRC / 4.2 engine spares:

Paul,

I read that quickly and thought you were taking a spare 4.2 engine along .... but then I realized you were only taking 6 gallons of 20-50 for your engine ....

Graeme

At this point, NCLR will have at least FOUR RRC's on this trip, (TigerDan, SLOHybrid, Arthur & wife and me), so I just want to post-up to the group what I am planning on packing in terms of RRC / 4.2 engine spares:

-- Water pump (new)

-- Alternator (used, but good)

-- TWO matching pairs of used, but good, cap & rotor

-- All belts for a 4.2/3.9 (used but good)

-- Shop manual for 1990 --> 1994 RRC's

-- Spare idler pulley for alternator or A/C belts

I will leave the heavy stuff (axles, ring & pinions, etc.) to others.

As for tools, bringing the usual full set of sockets, spanners, hub nut socket, breaker bar and such.

Let's see what others are bringing, so we can plan accordingly. Of course, the old rule applies: If you bring it, you won't use it.

--Paul

Dayum...!

-- Water pump (new)  SPARE Serp style too

-- Alternator (used, but good) nope

-- TWO matching pairs of used, but good, cap & rotor  ... good the same as my car

-- All belts for a 4.2/3.9 (used but good)  spare new serpentine belt (think the same as some D2's

-- 90w, 20-50 motor oil (X6), 50/50 coolant, tranny/steering pump fluid.  Bring my own special Motul blends ;)

-- Shop manual for 1990 --> 1994 RRC's  OKAY

-- Spare idler pulley for alternator or A/C belts... nope

I will leave the heavy stuff (axles, ring & pinions, etc.) to others.  bringing front and rear 24 spline halfshafts.. rear LWB u-joint style driveshaft & front BW.. think all but Dan are still running BW transfer boxes. not bringing a 3rd member ... new tie rod ends.. can bring stock tie rods complete if anyone runs stock???

As for tools, bringing the usual full set of sockets, spanners, hub nut socket, breaker bar and such.  yes a box full of everything including drip pan and cleaners

--Paul

At this point I have to admit that I'm out. I simply haven't had time to install my new engine, and won't have time before the trip and there's no way I can make the trip on the current engine, it's just too far gone. I would guess that I have no more than about 5 PSI of oil pressure at hwy. cruise speed, it's making a pretty constant death rattle.

Dan that sucks!  really wanted you to be there & so did Gryphon as he wanted to see you playing Guitar! 

You still have 2 weeks and it is still very possible? stop acting like an "engineer" and get it done!

Use some straight 50W oil

So Bummed...! Dan is the main reason I signed-up for this Legacy Trip...!

We need a special Wrenching Day for TigerDan -- I nominate all U folks in the 415, 510 and 628...!

--Paul

So Bummed...! Dan is the main reason I signed-up for this Legacy Trip...!

We need a special Wrenching Day for TigerDan -- I nominate all U folks in the 415, 510 and 628...!

--Paul

Well at least I'm off the hook here - I'm in the 916 :)

Actually, I'm scrambling myself and just today looking at my calendar for April contemplated backing out, but I've been wanting to do DV for years so I'm still in.

Dan - you know I'm traveling solo..... You think that thing would make it as far as Walnut Grove?

(now I need to go get the LR3 sorted out lest we end up taking the topless D1 - not an ideal long-range rig!)

I have several other things that need doing as well, and I just have too much other work that I'm now way behind on, thanks to The Toyota From Hell (which is a whole 'nother story.) And I just had something important that came up for the 22nd (which is the final weekend of the trip) so I have to be here at home that day. So it's just not in the cards for this year.

At this rate it may be at least another month before I can get the new engine in. Not to mention fix my winch, rewire my driving and backup lights, re-install my rear locker, install an onboard air system...

it looks like there is a solid chance I may also need to bail on this trip.

It's now about 10 days before the trip, and evidently no one (not my shop nor the vendor selling the block) has any freaking clue as to whereabouts of the engine block. It was supposed to take 10 days to arrive, and 20days later... no idea. It's almost like they shipped it via the literal pony express.

If the block gets here today, there is a chance I'll go... but I stopped holding my breath of its arrival a week ago.

Well at least I'm off the hook here - I'm in the 916 :)

Actually, I'm scrambling myself and just today looking at my calendar for April contemplated backing out, but I've been wanting to do DV for years so I'm still in.

Dan - you know I'm traveling solo..... You think that thing would make it as far as Walnut Grove?

(now I need to go get the LR3 sorted out lest we end up taking the topless D1 - not an ideal long-range rig!)

Don.... you spilled the beans and told us you bought the topless D1 :D

I have several other things that need doing as well, and I just have too much other work that I'm now way behind on, thanks to The Toyota From Hell (which is a whole 'nother story.) And I just had something important that came up for the 22nd (which is the final weekend of the trip) so I have to be here at home that day. So it's just not in the cards for this year.

At this rate it may be at least another month before I can get the new engine in. Not to mention fix my winch, rewire my driving and backup lights, re-install my rear locker, install an onboard air system...

Oh! waah! I put in 60 hour work weeks and still getting my car prepped!  yes I built a motor too :rolleyes:

Chuck,

Just to verify. I plan on meeting the main group in Gold Point on Saturday afternoon -- in time to set up for camping and eating dinner with the group. Google maps has me at a 7-hour run from home to Gold Point, and I'll probably add an hour to that for RRC reasons. So I will be leaving EARLY.

See you then,

Paul

Paul... I have 6 hours approximately via Lake Isabella.. so figure we could tentatively leave by 8am?? that will give you plenty of daylight to carry on to Gold point.

Although it does say on Google maps it is 1.43 hrs to Gold point from Big Pine

Just an update for those who are interested in Easter Services - there is a 9am Mass in Tonapah, NV that 3 of us from the DesertCrawler group are planning on going to (leaving at 7am, back by about 11am). Then we've got the special Easter tour of Hardluck castly we have at  - we will want to leave Gold Point around noon or 1pm to make it.

Archived